New MetroStars jersey coming 1/20

Waffles

I'm not so sure these are the final ones ... see:

Hockey, Olympic, 1998, Russia ...

NFL, Jacksonville, inaugural season ...

I speculate about this because of Houston's MLS team as well as the conundrum of any team -- especially the Dallas Burn -- having to host Chivas USA. I experimented with two teams, one with vertical red stripes, and one with horizontal red stripes, on FIFA soccer for the PlayStation. It's hard to discern the teams!!!

I'm sure the referees will feel the same, and either make Dallas wear the grey hoops at home for Chivas games, or adidas will have already redesigned the road kit. I like last year's blues, myself.

Plus there's a lot of hue and cry from DC fans about how ugly the United kit is, making it look like the motif on the adidas ball.

tell me about it...I was playing World Tour soccer 05 sometime last year, I was Chivas and the game was against a team taht also wears red and white stripes...so Chivas wore solid red jerseys. um, yeah...muuuch better <_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now I'm regretting not buying a Revs jersey last season

While I'm not happy about the cookie-cutter nature of the kits, last year's Revs kits were also an adidas template, and they were pretty much awful. The Revs actually need a new identity--I like the ball-and-flag idea, but I hate how it's executed, especially with that wordmark.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

especially the Dallas Burn -- having to host Chivas USA. I experimented with two teams, one with vertical red stripes, and one with horizontal red stripes, on FIFA soccer for the PlayStation. It's hard to discern the teams!!!

I'm sure Chivas will keep the blue tops as a third shirt. Of course Dallas will need to add a third shirt as well. The sad thing is that New England looks like the only team who's uni's are better than last years. They remind me of their 2002 Umbro kits. I also hope that MLS doesn't completely cave and switch their numbers tot eh new adidas font. It's a good font but the numbers they have now look better.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm pretty sure the Earthquakes uniforms will change so I wouldn't call that a final template. I would be interested in seeing the Houston Republic unis at the draft (if that's when they'll be unveiled)

Are we even sure they'll be called Houston Republic? I thought that name turned out to be a farce.

Houston 1836 won the online vote, and it's now MLS's decision whether or not they want to use it.

The Revs logo would look great...for anything other than a soccer team. I'd like to see a more traditional badge take it's place.

Then again, I'll take seeing people actually come to Gillette over getting a new logo anyday.

Houston 1836 won the online vote, and it's now MLS's decision whether or not they want to use it.

"Houston 1836?!?"

What the hell goes on down there in Texas? That's the text on your city seal, not the name of a professional sports team, dillweeds.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"Houston 1836?!?"

What the hell goes on down there in Texas? That's the text on your city seal, not the name of a professional sports team, dillweeds.

Tell that to Schalke 04 and Hannover 96, for starters.

Sometimes, it isn't necessary for a team to have a name like the Houston Dreellerzzz, or some such.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

"Houston 1836?!?"

What the hell goes on down there in Texas?  That's the text on your city seal, not the name of a professional sports team, dillweeds.

Sometimes, it isn't necessary for a team to have a name like the Houston Dreellerzzz, or some such.

Since the Bundesliga is one of the few European leagues that hasn't been tapped as a name source yet, this is a pretty good move. We've got the "royal" teams (Spanish Real Madrid... please say "ray-AL", not "reel"), the "FCs", and a United.

Not only are there teams like those MOCKBA mentioned in the Bundesliga (and Mainz 05, and Bayer 04 Leverkusen...), but there's an even closer example. In the 2nd division in Germany is 1860 München, recently relegated from the premier division of the Bundesliga. 1860 is probably the year the club was founded, since the city goes back to the 12th century.

Would you prefer another awkward-sounding singular noun (Fire, Mutiny, Crew, Burn, Wiz) or something XXXXXXX-TREME? Houston 1836 sounds like a soccer team. Since the MLS is relying on drawing fans who follow other premier soccer leagues, patterning a team name after a German way of naming a team isn't a bad idea.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

"Houston 1836?!?"

What the hell goes on down there in Texas?  That's the text on your city seal, not the name of a professional sports team, dillweeds.

Since the Bundesliga is one of the few European leagues that hasn't been tapped as a name source yet, this is a pretty good move. We've got the "royal" teams (Spanish Real Madrid... please say "ray-AL", not "reel"), the "FCs", and a United.

Not only are there teams like those MOCKBA mentioned in the Bundesliga (and Mainz 05, and Bayer 04 Leverkusen...), but there's an even closer example. In the 2nd division in Germany is 1860 München, recently relegated from the premier division of the Bundesliga. 1860 is probably the year the club was founded, since the city goes back to the 12th century.

Would you prefer another awkward-sounding singular noun (Fire, Mutiny, Crew, Burn, Wiz) or something XXXXXXX-TREME? Houston 1836 sounds like a soccer team. Since the MLS is relying on drawing fans who follow other premier soccer leagues, patterning a team name after a German way of naming a team isn't a bad idea.

The key distinction is that the OTHER numbers are based on the years of the clubs' foundings. This one uses the city's incorporation/founding (I presume, anyway) in an artificial effort to sound old and well established. If the idea was to truly follow the German model, the club should be Houston 06.

Maybe MLS should follow the Sheffield Wednesday example (actually one of my personal favorites). What day of the week was the move announced? Houston Monday, anyone?

Last note -- If the idea was to use the Spanish model with "Real", why do it in Salt Lake City of all places? Why not use that model in a location with a large, established Hispanic population.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Last note -- If the idea was to use the Spanish model with "Real", why do it in Salt Lake City of all places?  Why not use that model in a location with a large, established Hispanic population.

You mean such as LA or something huh? Well turns out, Salt Lake City has quite the Hispanic population.

Utah Salt Lake City Ethnicity

85.3% 79.20% White

9.0% 18.85% Hispanic

0.8% 1.89% Black

1.3% 1.34% Native American

1.7% 3.62% Asian

0.7% 1.89% Pacific Islander

N/A 8.52% other

2.1% 3.54% mixed

That is from Wikipedia.

Some thoughts:

1. Real Salt Lake-- What bothers me about this name is not the use of a Spanish

model. I am fine with that. But the "Real" name, if the club is not officially

affiliated with a Spanish "Real" club (Madrid, Sociedad, Betis, Valladolid, etc.)

is just a misuse of the word. It is a royally supported sports club. There

is nothing royal about Salt Lake. They could have gotten the same type

of name by using "Atletico" or gone more Mexican with a name like

"Pumas Salt Lake" or "Tigres Salt Lake".

2. Houston-- I get the German connection, but I just don't think most people will.

It just doesn't sound like a sports team and many, many more folks are

familiar with Real Madrid than a team like Hannover 96 or 1860 Munchen.

3. I think the idea of Chivas USA, a direct affiliation or "sponsoring" of teams

would make these names more reasonable. I know Salt Lake thought of

this with Real Madrid, but just because they couldn't get the #1 Real team

as an affiliate, doesn't mean they couldn't shoot for a different Real team

from Spain.

I would love to see Houston be affiliated with Monterrey (Mexico).

Or, even better... Houston Arsenal or Houston Hotspurs.

Last note -- If the idea was to use the Spanish model with "Real", why do it in Salt Lake City of all places?  Why not use that model in a location with a large, established Hispanic population.

You mean such as LA or something huh? Well turns out, Salt Lake City has quite the Hispanic population.

Utah Salt Lake City Ethnicity

85.3% 79.20% White

9.0% 18.85% Hispanic

0.8% 1.89% Black

1.3% 1.34% Native American

1.7% 3.62% Asian

0.7% 1.89% Pacific Islander

N/A 8.52% other

2.1% 3.54% mixed

That is from Wikipedia.

I have to say that is surprising. I didn't do my homework because I expected the popular media image of Salt Lake City and Utah as white bread, Mormon land would be evident in the statistics (and with a population that is 79% white, that is not so far off the mark). On the other hand, Salt Lake City's Hispanic population percentage is, not surprisingly still much lower than most large southern tier cities (ex., Houston -- 37.41%, Phoenix -- 34.06%, Dallas -- 35.55% in the 2000 census per Wikipedia)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived