NHL Goal of the Year? Ovechkin

DEAD!

Unbelievable. But my vote's still with Marek Malik in the FIFTEENTH round of a shootout v. Washington, when he went through his legs - keep in mind he's a lumbering 6'5" defenseman, not the second coming of Alexei Kovalev.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I actually watched part of that game yesterday afternoon and damn, Ovechkin is the real deal! Without a doubt this kid should be Rookie of the Year over Crosby.

In the words of Darren Pang... "Jumpin!"

6uXNWAo.png

I was watching the game when this happened, it was absolutely amazing. "Simply sensational!" as Joe Beninati screamed. In my mind, I think this has to be the goal of the year, I mean look at what he had to do to get that thing in there. Malik's is second, and I have to admit, that one by Jokinen in the shootout the other day for Dallas is third. But this one's the goal of the year.

teamsnew2.png

I'm a diehard Rangers fan and I don't know how anybody could put Marek Malik's goal over this one. Malik's came in a shootout, with time to prepare and nobody to ebat but a goalie who had already played 65 minutes of hockey and faced 14 penalty shots.

Ovechkin's goal came in the middle of a game, fighting other guys for the puck and still cathing a goalie so far out of position that he could score on his back with his stick over his head. Nothing beats that as far as staying with a play and making the (seemingly) impossible happen. Amazing play.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I'm a diehard Rangers fan and I don't know how anybody could put Marek Malik's goal over this one. Malik's came in a shootout, with time to prepare and nobody to ebat but a goalie who had already played 65 minutes of hockey and faced 14 penalty shots.

Ovechkin's goal came in the middle of a game, fighting other guys for the puck and still cathing a goalie so far out of position that he could score on his back with his stick over his head. Nothing beats that as far as staying with a play and making the (seemingly) impossible happen. Amazing play.

Yeah, but in my opinion, the thing that puts Marek Malik's as #1 is that Malik's goal was skill.

They're both really sweet goals, but Malik's was intentional and creative. Ovechkin just managed to put the puck on net despite the overwhelming odds.

Needless to say, both are great, and this is a sampling of why I've been watching more hockey this year than I ever have. Even sat through a whole period of St. Louis Blues action this evening.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

:!: HOMER ALERT :!:

you guys want a goal that combines the best of both Ovechkin's and Malik's goals?

game 2 of the 2004 Western Conference semifinals, Avalanche at Sharks.

Jonathan Cheechoo gets a pass in considerable traffic and proceeds to shoot it past Dave Abiescher* with the shaft of the stick behind his right leg. A pure ad lib of a play.

I tried to find a video clip of it but to no avail. Maybe Puckguy has it stashed away on his hard drive somewhere.

*I might have spelled it wrong ok, just to keep OMMF from plopping on himself.....or are we too late for that?

I agree that Cheechoo's score was something else, but as for the 2005-06 goal of the year, I'm giving it to Ovechkin over Malik for reasons previously stated. It was in-game with defenders draped all over him as he was sliding on the ice, sneaking the puck past the goalie ... compared to Malik's goal which was a simply a nifty shootout goal.

6uXNWAo.png

This tread brings back bad memories of a sad sad Monday afternoon :cry:...But I will give props were props are due and there is no doubt that goal was amazing. However the best goal I have ever seen has to be THIS....Yes I know this isnt NHL and it was done in a skills competition and not a game, but come on, you gotta love it. (Sorry if this video has already been posted before)

PopHeading-1.gif

Ok to continue on with the sweet hockey goal......I mean what Ovechkin did was sweet but does anybody remember i am tempted to say 1997 in the regional finals of the NCAA tourney when (i dont rember maybe some of you hard core UMichigan fans can tell me who did it) but he was behind the Gophers net and scooped up the puck and put it in.......I still think that is one of if not the most amazing goal that i have ever seen on the grounds of pure innovation..... I think that ebaumsworld has it on their website but you guys can try to find it.

Ovechkin's goal was massively entertaining, and amazing, but I'm not sure i'd call it "best."

Shoudlnt "best" be defined by showing the most skill in executiong a planned event? I think what Ovechkin did was amazing, but not at all something he'd do to score on purpose. I think it was far more lucky and amazing than anything else.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I agree with Payno and SyPhi on this one.

Although very nice goal, it didn't show a amazing display of skills. I mean he fell onto the ice, and tried to get the puck to the net. Goalie was really, and I mean really weak on this play. Any hockey player will tell you that when he falls, he tries to do something with the puck. That's just the way it is.

As far as the nicest goal this year, I'd go with Jason Spezza's OT winner against Montreal in October.

Spezza's goal

That's some skills, against a defenseman, then the goalie. IMO, that is the best goal this season, outside of shootout goals.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Id agree with almost everyone else here, in that Malik's goal was very tight, and ovechkins was right behind it. Talkabout a high effort players.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Archived