Super Bowl XL - The Game Discussion

bhambruiser

Bitching about the refs is low-class. The refs are the easy target because they screwed up a few calls, granted they were huge. But the refs can't beat you. The players sucked it up out there bigtime, and Seattle fans are a good bunch, but don't blame the refs. The Seahawks got beat out there, and they didn't put up a fight because Holmgren coached that game scared, and their players made mistake after mistake.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TONIGHTS MVP:Bill Levy. Its because he cannot call the game correctly. Steelers still suck

Say what you will about the Steelers, but the Seahawks shot themselves in the foot by throwing away 14 points by STEPPING OUT OF BOUNDS!

Not to mention Jerramy "I can't catch" Stevens.

The refs may have seemingly handed the game to the Steelers, but the fact of the matter is that the Hawks couldn't make the plays when they needed them.

'Nuff said!

sig1.gif

They must have borrowed a college crew for this game, because there were some very questionable calls in this game. It should have ended 17-14, Seattle. There was no interference in the endzone, and Roethlisberger was short of the goalline.

He has to break any part of the goalline, and he clearly touched the front of the white goalline. Sure, he didn't get into the endzone, but he touched the plane of the endzone.

I don't care if he touches, I care if the ball did. There's still a lot of doubt in my mind the ball ever crossed the goal line. Roethlisberger could be completely over the line, but if the ball isn't, no TD.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They must have borrowed a college crew for this game, because there were some very questionable calls in this game. It should have ended 17-14, Seattle. There was no interference in the endzone, and Roethlisberger was short of the goalline.

He has to break any part of the goalline, and he clearly touched the front of the white goalline. Sure, he didn't get into the endzone, but he touched the plane of the endzone.

I don't care if he touches, I care if the ball did. There's still a lot of doubt in my mind the ball never crossed the goal line. Roethlisberger could be completely over the line, but if the ball isn't, no TD.

The ball touched the goalline. I don't know how else to put it. Sure, it didnt go far over, but even that little bit counts.

Ward as the MVP?!!! Thats a shocker for me. and it looks like the bus finally ran out of gas

Not me. He made a couple of big 1st down grabs, set up that first TD and scored the last one.

Next question...will the NFC ever win a Super Bowl again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's sad when even during the game you cant get over the east coast pitt bias.

east.gif

Are they in the Eastern Time Zone?

Yes.

They are an E.C.B. team by that definition.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For the nay-sayers about Big Ben's TD, the ball was visible under his chin the moment his chin crossed the goalline. The ball itself may not have touched the goalline, but the forward progress did at least cross it.

Hasselbeck dove to stop a blocker, not the receiver. If he dove to stop the receiver, he would be okay, but it was a blocker he dove at, that's a penalty.

The overturned TD in the first quarter was iffy, but I'm not going to complain about it.

I just can't believe it's over and THE STEELERS HAVE WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!

--Roger "XL!!!!!" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I was wondering whether there would be complaining about the officiating or if it was just me...

I was kinda pulling for Seattle, but I did not care too much..but I usaually notice bad calls against the teams I am pulling for...But this thread shows that LOTS of people thought Seattle was getting jobbed. There was one call (a catch and fumble) that went against Pittsburgh early, but after that, it was all against Seattle. I thought the that Roelthlisberger scored, but the "holding" call that brought Seattle back from the one was BS. The worst call (thought not the most significant) was the "low block" on Hasselbeck.

Honestly, I just felt like there was a bit more willingness to flag Seattle then Pittsburgh. Every now and then you watch a game (in other sports too) and it seems like the officials get caught up in the moment. A home team on a role and the calls go there way. This is what it seemed like tonight.

I'm torn. Were the officials a bit caught up in Pittsburgh/Cowher/Bettismania or was it just bad luck that the big calls usually favored the Steelers?

Either way, the Seahawks blew some early opportunities.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

it was the first football game i saw all season long, i usually don't watch football. There wasn't much on so I decided to catch the game. To start with: the anthem was awful, probably the worst i've ever heard. with all due respect to mrs. franklin, but you can see why she isn't cutting too many records these days which is a shame because she was awsome in her prime.

I won't comment on the commercials as i usually mute them and ignore them. The halftime show was alright, I would have preferred a younger artist or band. With due respect to the stones, they really need to call it a career and check in to a nursing home or retirement home.

For the record: i didn't have any stock in the game, i didn't care who won either way.

As for the game, it was ok maybe a little slow. The seahawks touchdown call back and steeler touchdown was little questionable. The sb records that were broken were pretty cool and the rest of the half was competitive. Its not a SB classic but fun to watch.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Bitching about the refs is low-class. The refs are the easy target because they screwed up a few calls, granted they were huge. But the refs can't beat you. The players sucked it up out there bigtime, and Seattle fans are a good bunch, but don't blame the refs. The Seahawks got beat out there, and they didn't put up a fight because Holmgren coached that game scared, and their players made mistake after mistake.

Did the refs lose it for the seahawks? No, but they sure as hell contributed. They first got on my nerves calling Darrels catch a push off. They were both pushing eachother and he didnt even push off at the end. Taking away one of Jerramy Stevens possible catches on a shatty hold call didnt help either, making it an over 30 yard difference between where it would have been, and where it ended up being. Then the blatant chop block by Hasselbeck sure made sense because its clearly illegal to tackle someone by the legs.

The refs didnt lose the game for us, they just took away all our momentum when we needed it most. Thus why Super Bowl XL MVP should go to the entire officiating crew.

I thought the that Roelthlisberger scored, but the "holding" call that brought Seattle back from the one was BS. The worst call (thought not the most significant) was the "low block" on Hasselbeck.

I thought the no-call on the horsecollar tackle of Alexander was the worst...followed by the call on Hasselbeck...followed by a missed holding when Roethlisberger converted a third down on a rush on the Steelers' final meaningful drive.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's sad when even during the game you cant get over the east coast pitt bias. You would think that would be where it was finally determined fairly on the field of play.

East coast bias?

Oh, of course. There always an east coast bias.

Get over it, don't make excuses, and don't blame the Earth for having Pittsburgh east of Seattle.

I agree with you on the fact that there is no need to say things like "The refs had a bias and let the Steelers win" but you can't honestly tell me you dont think there is a east coast bias in the United States. I understand you are from New York and feel that all the press the East Coast gets in sports is completlely worth it, but it seems that many people from the East Coast fail to realize there is life west of the Mississippi other then Cali. I am sorry to say this, but if you honestly dont feel there is an East Coast bias not only in sports but overall, you are blind man.

PopHeading-1.gif

YES! Unbelievable finish for the Bus, even though he couldn't punch it in when he had the chance. Despite 2 ints, Big Ben was great with his legs picking up key first downs on 3rd downs, and scoring the TD on a 3rd down.

Stevens dropped too many balls, and D Jack had only one good quarter, Alexander played alright, but didn't do much, and Matt Hasselbeck had a typical Hasselbeck game. Look good on some possesions but throw a couple bad balls, and make critical mistakes (like the 3rd down with 35 seconds left and he threw it 2 yards)

I also wanted to add that I in no way am biased to either team. I could care less who wins. I don?t like the East Coast teams but I also don?t like the Seahawks at all. But anyone who is honest with themselves can admit that there were a few very questionable calls that all went against Seattle. The biggest one I saw was not the Roelthlisberger TD (Which I don?t feel was a touchdown because I honestly don?t feel the BALL ever touched the line, but either way that call was hard to call and the replay didn?t show it REALLY well, however I don?t see how the refs called that offensive pass interference. Both players had their hands on each other and Jackson had his arms extended all the way so no push off can physically happen. Bad call in my opinion. Either way, whining about the refs won?t change anything, and Seattle made many mistakes and had many chances to get back in the game. Both teams played terrible and it was overall a very disappointing Super Bowl. Oh well, its still Hockey season!!! :hockeysmiley:

Two other things I wanted to say about the SB,

#1 The musical guests were terrible. The National Anthem by Aretha Franklin and Aaron Neville was embarrassing at best and the Rolling Stones were horrible and need to just hang it up.

And

#2 Did anyone else notice that it appeared that Holmgren did not meet Cowher at middle field after the game? They followed Cowher to middle field and you could hear NFL officials asking where Holmgren was. Holmgren might very well of meet him after the cameras went on to something else, but last I saw Cowher was waiting for Holmgren and there was no sign of him. If he did decide to not meet him I really feel that shows a lack of class on his part.

PopHeading-1.gif

Game sucked for the most part.

The Commercials we're actually quite good, especially the ones from FedEx, Sprint and, believe it or not, Diet Pepsi. (For the most part, AB was relatively disappointing.)

The "Entertainment" on the other hand was absolutely atrocious, especially the halftime "show" with the Rolling Stones. I hope to god that Paul Tagliabue convenes a special owners meeting and says something to the effect of, "I have two words that I hope to god I never hear again...Don Mischer."

Oh and Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers for winning one for the thumb.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

The audio sucked for the Stones, too. I could barely hear the instruments.

Also, Mischer produced last year's halftime show with McCartney, too. It will be very bad if the Super Bowl halftime show is about the same as the Pro Bowl halftime show, because the Pro Bowl halftime show sucks bad.

Archived