Super Bowl XL - The Game Discussion

bhambruiser

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Entertainment wise but Quality wise, that was the ugliest Super Bowl Ive ever seen. Seattle played a much better game, but my God they made so many stupid mistakes they didn't deserve it.

Pittsburgh should include the referrees in the in the Super Bowl Champion photo, what a biased called game. Roethlisberger stunk, other than 1 big run their running game stunk, Hasselbeck played like an idiot, the receivers were dropping balls all over the place. It was sad that those were the 2 best teams the NFL had to offer. Sloppy all over the place.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Where was Eddy Hocks?

He was bench pressing Aaron Neville and Aretha Franklin.

And what? No love for Johnny Grier?

Personally, I think they should have Jerry Markbreit modify his retirement by reffing one game a year, every year - the Super Bowl.

I saw the game and I am a 100% pure full blooded Seahawk fan, but they just shot themselves in the foot, which is a traditional problem if you know the franchise.

Yeah, the refs made some very awful calls, but blaming the refs is just not the way to do this. I, as a fan, am willing to admit that Seattle just blew their chances and Pittsburgh took advantage of it. Smart teams will do that.

So, congrats to Pittsburgh for winning one for the thumb, congrats to Bill Cowher for finally getting a Super Bowl win and congrats to Jerome Bettis for finally riding off into the sunset as a winner.

Yes, they shot themselves in the foot. Jerramy's four dropped balls, questionable clock management at the end of the half, they did not play their game. But you cannot deny that the refs had a hand in killing any Seattle momentum. If the refs had let them play their game, it would have been a much better Super Bowl regardless of the outcome.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I thought the that Roelthlisberger scored, but the "holding" call that brought Seattle back from the one was BS.  The worst call (thought not the most significant) was the "low block" on Hasselbeck.

I thought the no-call on the horsecollar tackle of Alexander was the worst...followed by the call on Hasselbeck...followed by a missed holding when Roethlisberger converted a third down on a rush on the Steelers' final meaningful drive.

I wasn't sure about the horsecollar tackle. I had mentioned it at the party I was at and nobody thought it was a big deal there. As for the game itself, the Seahawks could have played a hell of a lot better, but they didn't. The refs didn't cause them to lose the game...I think there were only 10 penalties called all game, but they did make some of them count the most. One, being the first quarter touchdown by Jackson. Two, the holding call on Locklear, which was a half empty/half full kind of call...depends on who sees it. Three, the tackle by Hasslebeck I thought he looked to be clearly going for Ike Taylor after the interception. However, they called him for an illegal block. I don't think that would have changed Pittsburgh from scoring, but it definitely helped out. We can not like this game all we want, but the end result is still 21 to 10. Congrats to the Steelers...worthy champs as any...Good luck in repeating next year.

But you cannot deny that the refs had a hand in killing any Seattle momentum.

I'm a disinterested nonpartisan in this discussion but I have to say that the above-comment (and no offense to you, jdub, your comment just happens to be the one in closest proximity to the end of this thread) represents a very closed-in perspective. I think it would be more appropriate to say that the refs had a hand in killing what little momentum Seattle was able to generate. If those three drives were supposed to be the sole defining moments for the Seahawks then they were doomed from the outset. You can't expect to win many football games with only three opportunities to put meaningful points on the board. When the final score was posted, Seattle was only two drives from either tying or winning the contest. Clearly there were more than two meaningful opportunities for the Seahawks to get those scores during the duration of the game. If not, then Pittsburgh did a tremendous job of stifling any and all Seattle's offensive production. The stats don't support such a finding. Seattle moved the ball very well at times, however they couldn't get it all the way down the field. I agree with Brian in Boston and other folks who have observed this team all season (as a fan of a division rival, I can say I paid more than middling attention to the team for most of the year) - the Seattle team that played last night betrayed the efforts that they put up during the regular season and during their first two playoff games. There are certainly lessons to be learned from this game and the team certainly has enough of its core talent coming back to make another run. The NFC should be up for grabs once again next year and there's nothing to suggest that they won't use this game as a springboard for a better result next year (see the 1971 Dolphins, the second-worst performing Super Bowl scoring offense of all time, as an example of what you can do if you learn from your prior poor performance in a Super Bowl). However, if their focus is on avenging the refs rather than learning from their inability to sustain a meaningful scoring drive, then they can't expect a much better resultnext year.

Hasselbeck fumble. well, ok, it's reversed. but here are the lyrics when you need them:

Turn out the lights

The party's over

They say that

All good things must end

Call it tonight

The party's over

And tomorrow starts

The same old thing again

But the crazy crazy party

Never seen so many people

Laughing dancing

Look at you you're having fun

But look at me

I'm almost cryin'

That don't keep her love from dyin'

Misery cause for me the party's over

Turn out the lights...

Once I had a love undyin'

I didn't keep it but I tried

Life for me was just one party

And then another

I broke her heart so many times

I had to have my parting wife

I had to have my party

Why broke her heart so many times

But one day she said

Sweetheart the party's over

Turn out the lights...

You can sing that song in Buffalo now because WWKB (KB 1520 WKBW) unceremoniously dumped their oldies format to become "Buffalo's Left Channel" at 3 PM this afternoon..........

STUPID!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I am adamant that Roethelsberger did not score that first one. He was clearly

a yard away still. I don't think any minute, miniscule part of the ball crossed the line

and I think that that rule should change to clearly state "completly over". None of

this breaking the plain crap, make 'em earn it.

With that said, it was a fairly boring SB and Seattle has no one to blame but themselves and

their coach for poor clock management and not getting The league MVP more involved in the

game. I've never thought Holmgren is all that, and this game proved it. I feel Pittsburgh won

with a very average team that rode momentum and determination through the playoffs,

capitlizing on big plays. Next season will be interesting.

capt.sb27202060054.super_bowl_football_sb272.jpg

That picture doesn't help at all. It is taken at such an extreme angle and at a different height level that it can't be used to make a call either way. But if you were posting it to show that he DID cross the line, I think you made a mistake. To me, it looks as if the arm is not touching the goal line and the ball is well craddled in the arm. I still dont feel it was a touchdown, but this picture doesnt help with either argument really.

PopHeading-1.gif

Archived