Sidney Ponson signs with Yankees

kingssss

Right-hander Sidney Ponson, who became a free agent when he was released by the St. Louis Cardinals, has reached agreement on a deal with the New York Yankees, ESPN.com has learned.

Ponson, 4-4 with a 5.24 ERA in 14 appearances with St. Louis this season, lost his spot in the rotation when the Cardinals signed Jeff Weaver. Since Ponson cleared waivers Wednesday, the Yankees will be responsible for the pro-rated portion of the minimum salary for the rest of this season. St. Louis will pay the rest of Ponson's $1 million salary.

Ponson helps fill a void at the back end of Joe Torre's rotation. Mike Mussina, 10-3 with a 3.24 ERA, is the only New York starter with an ERA under 4.00.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2518391

teamsnew2.png

Wow...They call signing Sidney Ponson "filling a void?" That's more like just saying "Oh we fixed a pothole by putting a board over it." Good job Yankees, good luck making the playoffs with that stellar 2nd-Half addition. :P

Wow...They call signing Sidney Ponson "filling a void?" That's more like just saying "Oh we fixed a pothole by putting a board over it." Good job Yankees, good luck making the playoffs with that stellar 2nd-Half addition. :P

That must have been one big void.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

This is an absolutely awful signing for the Yankees. The guy has a 5.24 ERA in the NL Central -- now the Yankees are bringing him into the AL East in a pennant race?

He has a lifetime 6.37 ERA against the Red Sox. I love it!

IUe6Hvh.png

What has this guy done in his career? Besides being a bad pitcher and being drunk. Lets see, he didn't do well with the Orioles in his first stint. He did jack **** for his half season in San Fran. In his short second stint with the O's, he did jack **** again. With St. Louis he had 4 wins and 4 losses. How in the hell is he going to stop those potent Red Sox or Blue Jays lineups. I'm guessing they're doing this because Shawn Chacon has not done well. News flash Yankees. Ponson is worse than Chacon.

Here's a story about it from Yahoo. Look at the third paragraph.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday the deal "made sense, compared to everything else that was available to us."

Makes a lot of sense to me! :upside:

teamsnew2.png

As a Yankee Fan can someone please replace Cashman with a GM who has a backbone.

Ha! You think Cashman is the one doing the deals?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

As a Yankee Fan can someone please replace Cashman with a GM who has a backbone.

Ha! You think Cashman is the one doing the deals?

Yes. One of the terms of his new contract was final say in all personnel matters.

IUe6Hvh.png

I just wanna add in that Sidney has reportedly been clean and recovered from those personal problems for a while now. It's something he took very seriously and has dealt with. People should respect him for getting help and trying to recover.

On a baseball side, he's been okay. His problem really hasn't been that he's been hit too hard, but he'll have the occassional bad game and he hasn't gone very deep into games though. Most games were 5 or 6 solid innings though. So he's iffy. I certainly understand questioning an AL East team taking on an NL Central iffy pitcher, I'm just saying he hasn't been horrible and it might be worth a shot.

Rumor was Ponson wasn't keen at all on moving to the pen and that's why the Cards went ahead and just released him, FWIW.

I dont hate the guy for getting drunk, i dislike him for being a crap pitcher making millions.

You guys, (not fans of the evil empire) you realize that because we think this is a bad move, and sure to hurt the 'Yankees', he will now go on a tear and have a 1.00 ERA, right? Just to screw with all fans of baseball, and to please the fans of the 'Yankees'

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived