Why did the NFL nix the 2 Helmets for Seattle

gueman

Does anyone know why the NFL nixed the idea of home and away helmets for the Seahawks a few years back? It seem like a great marketing plan for a league that loves merchandise cash.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why the NFL nixed the idea of home and away helmets for the Seahawks a few years back? It seem like a great marketing plan for a league that loves merchandise cash.

How many people do you know that buy helmets? I don't see the merchandising connection.

because there the no fun leauge

Where the No Fun League?

How many people do you know that buy helmets? I don't see the merchandising connection.

Well don't tell that to all the people that buy the mini and I don't mean vending machine helmets. And you have quite a few that buy the full size as well. Also you have a lot of shirts that have the helmet on them.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Since the NFL and it licensors uses NFL helmets as team logos, (see your favorite team sweatshirt) they probably decided that each team should have one official helmet. With the exception of a throwback. As to the Seahawks, I don't believe the ever intended to use the silver helmet with the new uni's. There isn't any silver anywhere else on the uniform. Their little "choose the helmet" contest was more that likely a P.R. stunt to let the fans feel like they had a say in the matter. I'm sure the would have gone with blue regardless of which one actually got more votes.

Because they're HYPOCRIPE! :cursing:

Swing and a miss. It's "hypocrite."

because their the no fun leauge

Strike two for you.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I live and die by spelling errors, so it's kind of a sticking point for me. Sorry.)

I believe the seahawks at first wanted to go silver home and blue away correct? But since the league wouldn't let them they decided to have the contest.

Also Houston tried to go White and Blue helmets also right?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Since the NFL and it licensors uses NFL helmets as team logos, (see your favorite team sweatshirt) they probably decided that each team should have one official helmet. With the exception of a throwback.

Bingo.

It's called "protecting your brand." Two helmets for a team would dilute the brand, since the NFL alone among major sports uses the on-field equipment as the logo.

And yes, the only exception is and has been a throwback, which makes the Redskins of a couple years back an extremely bad example to bring up.

As to the Seahawks, I don't believe the ever intended to use the silver helmet with the new uni's. There isn't any silver anywhere else on the uniform. Their little "choose the helmet" contest was more that likely a P.R. stunt to let the fans feel like they had a say in the matter. I'm sure the would have gone with blue regardless of which one actually got more votes.

Bingo again. I have long felt that to be nothing more than a publicity stunt to raise awareness before the predetermined choice was unveiled.

Also Houston tried to go White and Blue helmets also right?

Nope. The white helmet was just to put on a table at the press conference - I have never seen a report that they ever intended to wear it on the field.

I collect Riddell NFL and NCAA football mini-helmets. They look good on the shelves with my other memorabilia.

Because no team uses or needs 2 different helmets

I am assuming you mean no NFL team uses two helmets because it's a pretty common practice is baseball. Maybe the Seahawks were trying to do what some baseball teams do with their helmets. I think it's a cool idea. The NFL needs to lighten up.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

And yes, the only exception is and has been a throwback, which makes the Redskins of a couple years back an extremely bad example to bring up.

Actually, the "Year of the Spear" uniform was not a true throwback, but was more an "inspired by" uniform. If it was a true throwback, NFL rules would have prohibited the Redskins from wearing it throughout the season.

All in all, I believe it is very good example of hypocrisy on the part of the NFL.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I collect Riddell NFL and NCAA football mini-helmets. They look good on the shelves with my other memorabilia.

Because no team uses or needs 2 different helmets

I am assuming you mean no NFL team uses two helmets because it's a pretty common practice is baseball. Maybe the Seahawks were trying to do what some baseball teams do with their helmets. I think it's a cool idea. The NFL needs to lighten up.

I'm one of those guys with the magnetic helmet standings boards you hear about. :P The NFL would have to create a whole new board just to fit the two stupid helmets that the Seahags wanted to wear, therefore screwing up the whole thing.

Teams don't need a second helmet other than a throwback.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Actually, the "Year of the Spear" uniform was not a true throwback, but was more an "inspired by" uniform. If it was a true throwback, NFL rules would have prohibited the Redskins from wearing it throughout the season.

All in all, I believe it is very good example of hypocrisy on the part of the NFL.

Only because you're looking for hypocrisy to justify your position. Objectively, the NFL has been very clear on this policy, and has consistently applied it, for decades.

because their the no fun league

Strike two for you.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I live and die by spelling errors, so it's kind of a sticking point for me. Sorry.)

The dugout is to your left.

The correct word would be they're - the contraction for they are.

Save the slugalo.

Don't really see how only allowing one helmet is "protecting" the brand. If that were the case, there would be no alt jerseys and only one color pant.

An alt helmet would be great, especially when two teams are too similar. Think of this possible Texans/Chargers match up:

Texans blue helmet, blue jersey, white pants...

Chargers blue helmet, white jersey, blue pants...

WAY too similar. A white helmet for the Texans would make the two teams look much different.

Because they're HYPOCRIPE! :cursing:

Swing and a miss. It's "hypocrite."

because their the no fun leauge

Strike two for you.

I'm not trying to be a jerk either but this is a message board not a classroom.

mandatory smilie to avoid angry response ---> :grin:

Archived