Super Bowl XLI Build Up Discussion

Viper

Full disclosure: I'm pulling for the Colts. Now that that's out of the way, here are my first impressions:

• The Bears got out to a big early lead against the Saints but almost blew it in the third quarter. Meanwhile the Colts set a conference-championship record by overcoming an 18-point deficit to beat the Pats. So, I think the Colts can come back from a big early Bears lead if they have to. On the other hand, if the Colts get the big early lead, the Bears are probably toast.
  • On the other other hand, if it stays close for most of the game, that might favor the Bears. They have been relying less on Rex Grossman than the Colts have been on Peyton Manning. So, in a close game, there will be a lot more pressure on Manning than on Grossman.
  • The Bears' high-risk, high-reward style of defense creates a lot of turnovers but has also been giving up a lot of points. They got the job done against a Saints offense that made a lot of mental errors and failed to protect the ball, but they can't count on the Colts to make the same mistakes.
  • In the end I think it will come down to whichever defense can stop the run well enough to force the opposing QB to try to win the game with his arm. That is a risky proposition even for Manning, and even more so for Grossman.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears will likely have Grossman play a Dilfer-like game: Control the ball and clock, and don't screw up.

The key will be Chicago's rushing. They will need to keep Manning off the field, and in turn, wear down the Colts defense, if they are to win the game.

At least it will be Super Bowl with nice uniforms on both sides. Nice to see Tony Dungy finally get there. Classiest guy in all of sports. Thank God the "Can Peyton win the big one" talk will finally subside a little. I'm happy with either team getting the win.

BB52Big.jpg

I haven't done the research, but I am willing to believe this will be the first Super Bowl with dueling first-named Hunters ...

4860.jpg vs. 6502.jpg

When faced with a decision, go with the one that went to Vanderbilt.

Bears to win SB XLI

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I'm going for the Bears. Otherwise I couldn't care.

I WANT THE SUPER BOWL MOVED TO THIS WEEK (or a Saturday)

(just so i can see it, school starts the week after)

A bit of a shame the Saints missed out. But that's sport, just gotta move on.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I wanted New Orleans/Indianapolis but I don't mind that New Orleans lost so we don't have to here the conspiracy theory crap. New Orleans was a great, great story, though, and they'll be back. When Reggie Bush had the 88 yard catch, I thought there was no way that New Orleans could lose that game.

I saw it mentioned earlier... if the Colts fall behind earlier, they've shown capable of getting back into the game. If Chicago falls behind early and they start to desert their running game, they'll be just about done for. I think Manning finally got over the 'big game' hump.

Even though the deficit was 21-3, it didn't seem like the Colts had been playing bad football in the slightest bit. What they managed to do in the second half was amazing.

I knew that Reggie Wayne was going to fumble on that one play. He looked to be holding the ball so hap-hazardly.

What a game. One of the best I've seen.

If Manning wins in two weeks, when he retires, he'll be known as the greatest QB of all-time.

IUe6Hvh.png

Vegas has the Colts favored by 7 points.

So...expecting a lot of people to put money on the Colts are we?

(Wonders where's that two touchdown spread we were all predicting) :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When Reggie Bush had the 88 yard catch, I thought there was no way that New Orleans could lose that game.

It was karma for slowing down to taunt Urlacher while still behind on the scoreboard.

By the way, I like the fact that we don't have to watch two weeks of heart-rending Katrina footage, but almost as bad for the media circlejerk is the matchup of the first two black coaches to make the Super Bowl. Shouldn't this be a non-story? I mean, when people mention Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith, my first reaction is "good coaches", not "wow, they're both black guys" (and when someone mentions Herm Edwards...). I thought we were mostly beyond the point where the race of someone involved in pro sports is a major story.

Or maybe not. I remember when I was watching the Sugar Bowl this year, the announcers compared JaMarcus Russell to Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Steve McNair, and... Doug Williams. Really, Doug Williams? What about Joe Gilliam? Fritz Pollard?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Unfortunately, after watching the Colts post-game celebration, the Colts have a power with them that the Bears may not have:

427px-Creation_of_the_Sun_and_Moon_face_detail.jpg

That's right: GOD.

God apparently all season had been secretly testing the Colts and Peyton Manning, who is the second coming of Christ (he's already up there with Jesus in terms of popularity). Tony Dungy let the cat out of the bag, and the Colts owner discussed it quite a bit too, almost going so far as to sacrifice Terry Bradshaw in His name and glory.

But the Colts holy crusade isn't likely prepared for the wild card involvement of another fellow holy entity:

040713_mike_ditka_vsm.vsmall.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm going for the Bears. Otherwise I couldn't care.

I WANT THE SUPER BOWL MOVED TO THIS WEEK (or a Saturday)

(just so i can see it, school starts the week after)

A bit of a shame the Saints missed out. But that's sport, just gotta move on.

I'm glad there's a bye week, it gives me a weekend where my love of soccer doesn't have to take a back seat to my love of football (the FA Cup 4th Round matches occur during the bye weekend).

QPR%20Sig.png

So...expecting a lot of people to put money on the Colts are we?

(Wonders where's that two touchdown spread we were all predicting) :rolleyes:

No, Will's got the spread at 4 TDs. I'm waiting for his commercials with this as his top secret betting tip... :rolleyes:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived