Minnesota Vikings Concept

js °

hey everyone, I felt like doing something that has been bugging me for years now, updating Minnesota's Viking. He's been looking a tad too cartoonish for me for too long now, and the linework looks dated. I decided to give it a crack today, and heres what came of it. Two versions, one is a direct update ... the other a more conceptual update. For reference, the original is on top:

....................................Vikingslogo.gif

id_01a.jpg

id_01b.jpg

edit: put up the clean versions here for comparison

That first one of yours is better than what they have now, but the second one is amazing. I like how you made the horns match the one on the helmet, and how you made the helmet on the second one actually look like a helmet. To me, the helmet on the viking logo they use now looks more like a pointy hat. These are some great updates.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I love the 2nd concept - the viking with the beard is awesome.

Great work!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Both are great updates.

Although the second one is probably more realistic, I love keeping the Fu Manchu on the first one.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Nicely done.

I like the little bolt things on the purple part of the helmet on #2. But the weathering of the gold part of that helmet, while attractive, doesn't work for a logo. Extra detail is nice, but shading and weathering is going overboard. For this purpose.

I like the fu manchu, just because it's traditional, but that is a great beard you've got on #2. Well, it reminds me more than a bit of Aquaman, which isn't actually a good thing for a football logo to remind anyone of, but it's still a cool beard. I'd choose #1 for the fu manchu, but it's a close call.

However, by getting rid of the braid, you expose a bit of the neck, which just sort of ends at an arbitrary line, and so your logo doesn't look like a fierce Viking racing into battle, it looks like an angry Viking who just got his head cut off in said battle. He's begging for a caption like, "Dang it, Theowulf Skellasson, you said the Irish monks would be unarmed." I really think you need to find a way to hide the neck. More hair, a shoulder buckle, bring back the braid, but make the bottom of the logo look less "cut off."

20082614447.png

Your second one is crazy good, although there are some aspects of your first one that might improve your 2nd one. I'd lose the weathering on the helmet - it's a nice touch, but it doesn't seem to be needed. Actually, I guess that's it...I was going to suggest removing the detail within the purple, but it actually does add to the work as a whole.

Both of yours are FAR better than what the Vikings have and could work in their own right. I just prefer the full beard. Great work, as usual.

wow guys, thanks for all the feedback ... i appreciate it all. I was a bit worried about adding that beard, only because you're stepping on the toes of history, and it might bite ya. Glad to see you guys love it as much as I do.

(sidenote: I know a few of you have mentioned the getting rid of the photoshop effects, but thats how i have this work presented in my portfolio, and it serves as something of a watermark for my work. don't assume its part of the actual identity please)

so anyways, I put together a uni set to go with all this ... let me know what you all think ( the pressing concept was to bring the Tarkenton era and the Pre-New era together to replace the update they recently made:

uni_01a.jpg

uni_01b.jpg

uni_01c.jpg

uni_01d.jpg

The second version is awesome. The beard and helmet are very well done, but like others said The weathering effect doesn't look right. I agree with Ballwonk about the neck, but it's better on the second than the first. All in all, it's just a great concept. Well done.

Edit: I see you've updated the logos. Okay, I understand the watermarking now. Adding the shield is alright, but I think it might be too big.

Another edit: The home jerseys are really good. I would make the away jerseys consistent with the homes. On the home I would add a yellow trim to the numbers, and the Vikings current wordmark under the collar. I love their current wordmark, and I think it would be a great addition to the jersey. Also maybe a custom number font would look really good.

vikings_1.jpg

I like this one. Its a cleaner more modern version of their current logo, but doesn't look like a cartoon Hulk Hogan which is what I get when I look at their current logo for some reason. (It's the facial lines or the moustache or something!)

Great work.

liverpool-1.png

For some reason I feel the helmet needs to be moved forward a bit, or stretched out, at least in the shield one, because with the purple background you dont get the same effect as with the other one. So it makes the helmet look... kinda weird, like his forhead is cutoff.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Archived