Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

With a great choice of colors, you think that they could come up with something a little more creative. Tampa Bay: STRIKE 1!

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took them.. what, 3 or 4 years of indecision...to finally come up with this logo and uniform?

And, apparently, 3 or 4 minutes to put the whole thing together.

That's how I feel about the new Capitals' logo. It took them 3 years to come up with this?

WSH_llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

THAT logo is untouchable genius when compared to the boring 'vanilla' logo that the Rays now have.

You should feel lucky.

The biggest problem I have with the new look for the Rays is the fact that they had such a great color set to work with but dropped the ball. Imagine if they used more yellow and light blue around the letters. How about using the 'TB' logo on the away jerseys or even just a block letter 'TAMPA BAY' instead of repeating the boring 'Rays' wordmark. Another thing that bugs the absolute piss out of me is the swooping leg of the 'R' in the 'Rays' wordmark. It just doesn't work! Its like they are trying to make a reference to both the rays of the sun and the rays in the water. What were they thinking? It seems like I've seen this same wordmark before for some startup technology company or something.

Bad...just bad.

I think the uniforms are so so. I wonder if the devil ray on the sleeve could be the start of a new trend. Maybe the Astros could add a revolver to their sleeve, or the Nationals an MEB. The Rangers and Twins could add a W. The Brewers could add a winged baseball. The Orioles could add an elf. What's the point of a new name if you keep using one of the old logos?

Rays get the 'Devil' out

Team confirms new uniforms leaked on web

Last Edited: Thursday, 20 Sep 2007, 5:54 PM EDT

Created: Thursday, 20 Sep 2007, 3:42 PM EDT

ST. PETERSBURG - Most Bay Area baseball fans know that the Devil Rays are planning a name change and new look for next season. At least one blogger now has a sneak peak at the new logo and uniforms.

The images, posted to the Something Awful Forums, show the 'Tampa Bay Rays' switching to a predominantly white and blue look, with some gray thrown in for away games.

The new logo is a basic baseball diamond underneath the word 'Rays.' The text includes a small sunburst element, which is new, but the familiar old manta ray remains on the left jersey sleeve in some situations.

So is the preview real? The Rays told FOX 13 late Thursday that, yes, the sneak peak is accurate.

That may not please some fans. The alleged makeover did not earn many points with viewers on the Something Awful site. Posters there called the look "mild," "bland," and even "stupid."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The "Rays" seriously looks like the wordmark of a seafood restaurant that offers early-bird specials.

Of course, this is Florida, so maybe the Rays are trying to lock up the key 65-80 age demographic.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

There will be some overlap issues on the placard just like with the new D-Backs jerseys.

This set reminds me of my dad's comments about change of name to the Titans when the Oilers finished the move to Nashville and changed the name, generic and that much easier to move the team.

RobbyBox2.jpg

The Royals is cool, but why not just reintroduce powder blue pants for the road?

The Indians looks good, though it's plain and it makes me wonder what the point is. Is that an accurate throwback to any era?

The Royals sky blue jerseys and white pants are so, so wrong.

If they reversed the colors on the name, numbers and team name, it might look OK, but otherwise, meh...

No, the Indians jersey looks like a beer league softball teams jersey. The hat too. What is their point?

Nope, don't like the Rays jerseys at all. They could have done a much better job.

I do find it odd as much as the organization trumpets "Tampa Bay", that it is not on one of the jerseys.

I also find it very strange that none of there new unis have the "Tampa Bay" on it. I still think its a sign they plan on leaving sooner or later. I cant think of any other team that doesnt at least have one with the cities name on it in mlb. Is there one?

The St. Louis Cardinals and Baltimore Orioles come readily to mind.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I also find it very strange that none of there new unis have the "Tampa Bay" on it. I still think its a sign they plan on leaving sooner or later. I cant think of any other team that doesnt at least have one with the cities name on it in mlb. Is there one?
The St. Louis Cardinals and Baltimore Orioles come readily to mind.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Milwaukee Brewers, and Philadelphia Phillies.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The complete list:

Baltimore Orioles

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Milwaukee Brewers

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

The "Rays" seriously looks like the wordmark of a seafood restaurant that offers early-bird specials.

Of course, this is Florida, so maybe the Rays are trying to lock up the key 65-80 age demographic.

Summed up perfectly. It also reminds me of PAX or one of those family-related channels.

Summed up perfectly. It also reminds me of PAX or one of those family-related channels.

Yes, it just struck me reading comments in that SA link that maybe they are catering to those that complained that using Devil as part of a name was evil. Now they have what I've seen referred to more than once as "that Christmas star." Maybe their sales will be boosted from the market that buys Lakers jerseys that say "Jesus" and from those who interpret Rays as "Rays of hope, Rays of light" etc.

And poor PANTONE can't catch a break. Someone on that SA link says he assumes the leak came from SSUR because it's "the same template they use"... yeah, the official MLB template. If I had an account there I'd correct them.

Speaking of being unaware of MLB templates, tampabay.com says the "model uses Baldelli's No. 5" ... but 5 is a staple of the standard MLB template. It's a strange world outside CCSLC.

Anyway, I'm curious. Isn't confirming these as bad to MLB as leaking them? I mean, some people had doubts (I did not), but then UniWatch gives it credibility by linking to it (and later confirms), and a newspaper blog posts the same leaked info on its site. For those of you on alert about leaks, do you foresee any repercussions for that from MLB?

If that really is the new D-Rays look (as you can see I'm still holding out hope that it isn't) then it is utterly craptastic. Some things that really irk me about the whole situation is that before the season they had focus groups to discuss possible colors (no logos or anything were shown), and I know for a fact that a good number of people there said how they liked the green especially since it is so underused in baseball and sports in general. To mee it seems that they brought in the focus groups eventhough they already had what they were going to change to in mind. What is the point of asking fans opinions if you don't listen?? I sure hope that this leak is a way for them to guage reaction before it is put into production. Out of all the teams the Rays need to not alienate the fans who are out there. Also this will be the 3rd change in 11 years, at the trop you were just starting to see all the fans (who were there for the Rays) in Green rather than black and purple, if the franchise thinks they will have stronger merch sales, I think they are going to have a big surprise coming.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Archived