Sports Injuries

youcan'tseeme

Well last night I broke my nose for the fourth time in my short life. It got me thinking about injuries I've suffered in sports, and I was wondering who on here has the most battle scares?

I've got 4 broken noses as I said above. Two from soccer, one from hockey and the one from wrestling. I've got a torn quadricept (sp) from football, Hyper Extended Knee, and pulled MCL combo. A 4cm scar along my lip from getting but ended playing hockey. Also I've had two concussions.

What abuse has your body taken playing the sports we all love?

untitled-6.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed half of the cross country season my junior year in high school with tendinitis in the hip.

It still hurts when the weather changes (seriously).

I also suffered shin splints freshman year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think I broke my nose once playing street hockey, never went to a doctor though. I've never missed any game because of injury, I'm pretty lucky for that. I just hope I don't get hurt during my football game tomorrow because I said how healthy I've been.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Dislocated shoulder and wrist (soccer), torn tendons on two fingers in left hand, broken jaw and busted hip (motocross).

Ditto on pain when the weather changes granted I do live in Tempe/ Scottsdale so the weather is always 100 or higher.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't get injuries. I get those little niggles in the hamstring, groin and quads from football but that usually goes away. The worst I've had is a broken collarbone, but that wasn't from sport, i broke my ribs playing basketball once, then i've have hada broken hand, and i've got a something wrong on the lateral side of my right knee.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I tore my right Achilles playing tennis three summers ago. It's not as bad as people think it is, but the recovery time and rehab is another story.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

The worst injury I ever got was back in my pre ice hockey days, I got speared in the throw with a hockey stick and had a four inch wide cut on my neck. I also got a raspberry when I stole home in a baseball game back in '99. It sucked even more because I had a hockey game right after that which made it hurt that much more, which is the only reason I remember that injury. Raspberries happen a lot, so it isn't really a major sports injury. Just something that I vividly remember. :D

knee tendinitis and torn knee meniscus both from wrestling.

the second isnt from a sport but my anxiety disorder affects my football playing in a pretty big way.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

The worst injury I ever got was back in my pre ice hockey days, I got speared in the throw with a hockey stick and had a four inch wide cut on my neck. I also got a raspberry when I stole home in a baseball game back in '99. It sucked even more because I had a hockey game right after that which made it hurt that much more, which is the only reason I remember that injury. Raspberries happen a lot, so it isn't really a major sports injury. Just something that I vividly remember. :D
Someone made fart noises on your stomach with their mouth? While you were stealing home?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Someone made fart noises on your stomach with their mouth? While you were stealing home?

LMAO! :D I was thinking the same thing.

untitled-6.jpg

I was a catcher for 8 years. Here are a couple of the more painful injuries.

I caught a foul tip right in the Adam's Apple. (This was before Steve Yeager and throat protectors on masks.) Unless you've experienced it, there's no way to describe what it felt like. I couldn't stop swallowing for like 30 seconds. I don't know if it was involuntary or if I was just making sure my throat still worked. Suffice it to say I felt like I had gravel in my throat for about two weeks.

I had a batter hit my glove hand square during his swing. Caught me right across the fingers. The initial impact wasn't so bad but after about an hour it felt like I had sprained every joint in my left hand. To add insult to injury he caused me to miss the pitch which hit me square on the thigh. So I ended up with a messed up hand and a nice large bruise on my leg on one pitch. Surprisingly, the hand was ok after a day or two. I think the glove saved me.

Of course I also had all the jammed fingers, broken blood vessels, and general beatings that come with being behind the plate. They don't call them the tools of ignorance for nothing. :D

Despite all the years behind the plate playing baseball, the worst injury I ever had happened in a softball game. I was diving for a throw that got past the cutoff man and rolled my right wrist into a completely unnatural position. I pulled every ligament in my wrist and in three of my fingers. I was out for a while and it was touch and go on whether or not it needed surgery for about two weeks. The doctor said I would have been better off just breaking the wrist. The pain was unbelievable.

BB52Big.jpg

- 2 Concussions....wait, only one was sports related. I got laid the f*** out at open roller hockey on Superbowl Sunday(PIT/SEA). Who the hell hits at open roller hockey on a hardwood floor with cement walls? Seriously. I had my head turned, looking for a pass, and then I was on my back, not knowing what had happened. It's ok, I scored the game winner a few seconds after figuring out where the hell I was. The dude actually plays in mt league now, and I got him back. He may be about 6'5"/260(I'm 5'10"/210 maybe), but I knocked him on his ass. The other concussion was due to a chain breaking on a swing at recess in 5th grade.

- Strained MCL...I can't imagine ny worse pain, although I'm sure there are plenty of worse things. This actuall happened a week after my concussion..the very next time I played hockey, in fact. Some kid ell and slid into my leg, hyperextending it. I actually finished the shift, and took half of another until I figured I might as well call it a night(it was an open hockey). I actually walked a mile to 7-eleven that night as well. The next morning, I got out of bed and fell flat on my face. I couldn't put any weight on my right leg. Putting on shoes was probably the most pain I've ever felt, so I drove back to Lancaster(about an hour) barefoot in February. I went straight to the doctor, who basically put my foot in between his knees and twisted the hell out of my leg.

- Almost shattered my eye socket...I had a black eye for nearly 6 months...most of 5th grade, ironically the same year as my first concussion. I was playing football on a trampoline, and I fell face(well, eye)-first into my brother's knee. My face was literally immediately swollen.

Other than these, nothing major. I messed up my elbow playing basketball, but nothing serious, just my outfield cannon completely disappeared after that. And yes, I had one hell of an arm before that...I used to be able to throw a line drive from the outfield fence to home. Now, I'm lucky if I can get it to the pitchers mound from there.

LMAO! :D I was thinking the same thing.

Nobody blew a raspberry, you crazy Canadians... I would imagine that would be kind of difficult to do while stealing home. :upside:

I just remember the back of my leg being all bloody from the contact of the slide and plate.

Broken Collarbone - Wrestling (i swear this never healed correctly)

Lost Front Tooth - Hockey (not really an injury, but whatever)

Elbow Sprain

12 Stitches In Chin

MCL Sprain (left knee) - all 3 from Baseball

ACL Sprain (right knee)

Torn Meniscus (right knee) - both Football (knee has never felt quite right after these, and Rams80 I'm with you on the weather affecting the way said joint feels. cold days are not my best days.)

I'm only 20 but with these added onto Lyme Disease I feel like I have the body of a 50 year old.

Hockey has given me a 4-stitch scar on my lower chin and a left groin muscle that is sore more often than not. Also problems with my left hip.

Years of soccer goaltending has really screwed with some of my fingers, nothing broken though. Although the first joint on my right index sometimes gets 'stuck'.

-Not really a sport, but I was on a bike. Minor concussion, and 4 staples in my head while I was delivering papers on my bike. A guy was backing out of his driveway while I was riding by. I swerved to miss him, but my paper bag (hung over the handlebars) got jammed in the wheel and I flipped over them. I was stupid and wasn't wearing a helmet.

-Concussion, I was hit in the head with a pitch in Little League, the next year my mom wouldn't let me play b/c she was scared I would get hurt again.

-Minor Concussion, and sprained knee. I was snowmobiling last winter and I was going around a curve, hit a bump going to fast (~25mph). I flipped off the side of the sled, hit my head (with helmet) square off of a huge tree. I had my knee also bounce off of a stump. I was VERY lucky not to be severely hurt. Needless to say I was very sore the next week or so. Also amazingly the sled just kept going straight down the trail, I jumped back on and rode back to the trailer.

I think I should wear a helmet around everywhere, my head keeps on getting hit.

saBS.png

Ooh, I love threads like this, because I get to whip this out:

kj-xray.jpg

Injury date was January 17, 2001. The x-ray's from January 23. The two long screws across were taken out in March of that year, the rest are still in there.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived