Giants and Dolphins in London

Cuse2000

This is straight from a friend of mine in the Dolphins organization:

The Dolphins are actually wearing white for all remaining games.

The reason they are wearing aqua in England? Because the game is at night, and the Dolphins wear their dark jerseys when they are the home team in prime time. Jimmy Johnson had the team wear white during night games in his first year (1996) but reverted back beginning in 1997.

The Dolphins also generally choose to wear dark jerseys for any playoff game that starts after 4 PM on Saturdays (Kansas City in '94, San Diego in '81, etc) because most of the game will be played in darkness. For Sunday playoff games after 4 PM, they still go with white (New England in '86).

The Dolphins also generally choose to wear dark jerseys for any playoff game that starts after 4 PM on Saturdays...For Sunday playoff games after 4 PM, they still go with white.

Huh? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

By the way, I seem to recall the 12/31/94 playoff game against the Chiefs being an early start..can someone check on that?

I don't think it really matters what team wears their home jersey because I'm sure the shops will have every imaginable color of jersey from both teams for fans to purchase. It would have been funny though if they built that huge Jason Taylor robot with an aqua jersey and the team went out on the field and wore white. That would certainly be incongruous with their promotiopnal campaign....as well as embarassing.

Well, maybe a change of scenery is in line for the Dolphins...they have 0 wins in white...and in North America!

What's funny, that I never knew, was I saw a quick picture on the slideshow (Sat morning) on NFL.com of a Dolphin practice. It had the team in Aqua (which had me figure they were busting them out), but their D or practice squad or whatever had a practice uniform of the Giants white. It had the same color numbers (red) and stripes...but here's the weird thing...it had Miami's font as I remember seeing #92. I've never seen the same team practice in the other team's colors...but with their fonts. Check it out if you have the chance. I'll try to dig up a pic.

KISSwall09.jpg

The Dolphins also generally choose to wear dark jerseys for any playoff game that starts after 4 PM on Saturdays...For Sunday playoff games after 4 PM, they still go with white.

Huh? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

By the way, I seem to recall the 12/31/94 playoff game against the Chiefs being an early start..can someone check on that?

Ridiculous or not, it's the truth. And the Chiefs - Dolphins game was indeed a 4:30 PM start.

Just from a personal preference stand-point, this is the exact uniform home/road choices I would like to see these two teams in.

On a side note, does anybody else think its kinda stupid for the Giants to have two pairs of pants with such a (relatively) small difference between them. (I know, I know... I don't mean "small difference" to the people who post on this board, I just mean in general.) I'd rather see the road pants worn all the time. They've really grown on me, and it does fit the "throwback" look better.

Unfortunate choices for a game in which you're hoping to introduce your sport to a new country - neither team is wearing its regular uniform.

I don't think they really care.

That's a pretty stupid thing to think/post (especially on this board).

Why is it a stupid thing for him to say on this board? He wasn't saying the people of this board don't care what uniforms the teams are wearing; he was saying the people in England don't care. I agree with him. Do you think that the people in England care who wears their aways and who wears their homes? Even in America, those of us on this board are in the minority; most people do not care about that sort of thing.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

What's funny, that I never knew, was I saw a quick picture on the slideshow (Sat morning) on NFL.com of a Dolphin practice. It had the team in Aqua (which had me figure they were busting them out), but their D or practice squad or whatever had a practice uniform of the Giants white. It had the same color numbers (red) and stripes...but here's the weird thing...it had Miami's font as I remember seeing #92. I've never seen the same team practice in the other team's colors...but with their fonts. Check it out if you have the chance. I'll try to dig up a pic.

Here's some screen grabs.

phinsscreengrabcopy.jpgphinsscreengrab.jpg

The Dolphins also generally choose to wear dark jerseys for any playoff game that starts after 4 PM on Saturdays (Kansas City in '94, San Diego in '81, etc) because most of the game will be played in darkness. For Sunday playoff games after 4 PM, they still go with white (New England in '86).

I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but where do get off using 26, 21 and 13 year-old playoff games as proof of "current policy"?

That guy posing in the dolphins uniform has a bigger gut than Sebastian Janikowski.

That our Rugby World Cup winning captain Martin Johnson, he played american football in college and is really into the game. No idea why drogba was chosen though.

I think the majority of people over here will associate the aqua to the dolphins rather than the white

logo.png

why are some of the dolphins wearing giants like practice jerseys?

The Giants have really tricky white jerseys, so they have to make sure they understand the proper striping pattern, or the QBs could get confused... :wacko:

On a side note, does anybody else think its kinda stupid for the Giants to have two pairs of pants with such a (relatively) small difference between them. (I know, I know... I don't mean "small difference" to the people who post on this board, I just mean in general.) I'd rather see the road pants worn all the time. They've really grown on me, and it does fit the "throwback" look better.

I absolutely agree on both standpoints.

I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but where do get off using 26, 21 and 13 year-old playoff games as proof of "current policy"?

Dolphins Home Playoff Games Since 1981

1981 Divisonal Round vs. Chargers - Saturday ??? start - Aqua

1982 First Round Game vs. Patriots - Saturday 4:00 PM start - ???

1982 Second Round vs. Chargers - Sunday 12:30 start - ???

1982 AFC Championship vs. Jets - Sunday 4:00 PM start - ???

1983 Divisional Round vs. Seahawks - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1984 Divisional Round vs. Seahawks - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1984 AFC Championship vs. Steelers - Sunday 12:30 - White

1985 Divisional Round vs. Browns - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1985 AFC Championship vs. Patriots- Sunday 4 PM start - White

1990 Wild Card Round vs. Chiefs - Saturday 4 PM start - Aqua

1992 Divisional Round vs. Chargers - Sunday 4 PM start - ???

1992 AFC Championship vs. Bills - Sunday 12:30 start - White

1994 Wild Card Round vs. Chiefs - Saturday 4 PM start - ???

1998 Wild Card Round vs. Bills - Saturday 12:30 start - White

2000 Wild Card Round vs. Colts - Saturday 12:30 start - White

2001 Wild Card Round vs. Ravens - Sunday 4 PM start - White

If anyone remembers the '82 playoffs (I was 4) or has info on the 1992 or 1994 playoff games, I don't know/recall what color the Phins were in.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

I think the Giants should have worn the red and Dolphins white.

Why red? Most teams display their alternates when they know they'll be showcased on national TV (i.e. the Bills against the Cowboys on MNF wearing throwbacks) to generate some more sales.

Why else? Red and white = England flag.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I absolutely agree on both standpoints.

I agree that they're unnecessary, but I don't want to see them replace the home ones.

I firmly believe that pants should match the helmet. That can be tricky when a team has dark helmets, but in this case the solution is elegant - the pant stripes match the helmet stripes - single red stripe bordered by blue stripes to approximate the shell. The road pants, with their two extraneous gray stripes, throw that out of balance.

Dolphins Home Playoff Games Since 1981

1981 Divisonal Round vs. Chargers - Saturday ??? start - Aqua

1982 First Round Game vs. Patriots - Saturday 4:00 PM start - ???

1982 Second Round vs. Chargers - Sunday 12:30 start - ???

1982 AFC Championship vs. Jets - Sunday 4:00 PM start - ???

1983 Divisional Round vs. Seahawks - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1984 Divisional Round vs. Seahawks - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1984 AFC Championship vs. Steelers - Sunday 12:30 - White

1985 Divisional Round vs. Browns - Saturday 12:30 start - White

1985 AFC Championship vs. Patriots- Sunday 4 PM start - White

1990 Wild Card Round vs. Chiefs - Saturday 4 PM start - Aqua

1992 Divisional Round vs. Chargers - Sunday 4 PM start - ???

1992 AFC Championship vs. Bills - Sunday 12:30 start - White

1994 Wild Card Round vs. Chiefs - Saturday 4 PM start - ???

1998 Wild Card Round vs. Bills - Saturday 12:30 start - White

2000 Wild Card Round vs. Colts - Saturday 12:30 start - White

2001 Wild Card Round vs. Ravens - Sunday 4 PM start - White

If anyone remembers the '82 playoffs (I was 4) or has info on the 1992 or 1994 playoff games, I don't know/recall what color the Phins were in.

1981 -- That was a 4 p.m. kickoff. By the time the game went to OT, it was dark in Miami.

1982 -- white vs. Pats, Chargers and Jets (I have the Super Bowl XI-XX set and there is a clip from each of those Dolphins playoff games in the '82 season recap, plus I remember them wearing white for those)

1992 -- aqua vs. Chargers.

1994 -- aqua vs. Chiefs.

Seems like the '01 game vs. Ravens deviated from the late-game aqua playoff pattern. But Shula was gone by then.

Archived