Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Davis never actually played though. He was drafted by the Redskins, traded to the Browns and his number ended up being retired, but he never played a down in the NFL. With that said, how is Ernie Davis in the wrong uniform?

Number retired without even playing? That seems a bit excessive.

Ernie Davis Wiki Stub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Davis#Pro_football_career

Okay....? Tragic untimely death notwithstanding, I still don't think his number should be retired by a team he didn't even play for. Syracuse, definitely, but not Cleveland.

Okay....? Tragic untimely death notwithstanding, I still don't think his number should be retired by a team he didn't even play for. Syracuse, definitely, but not Cleveland.

While a retired number is typically associated with the player having been a great performer for that team, there is really no reason to expect that this should be so in every single instance. I think it is appropriate now and then for a team to bestow this honour for other reasons.

For instance, Boston University has retired the number of hockey player Travis Roy, who suffered a paralysing spinal-cord injury mere seconds into his first shift on the ice. Also, I think it is great that the New Orleans Hornets have retired no. 7 for Pete Maravich, who is beloved locally, having played for LSU and the New Orleans Jazz, but who of course never played for the Hornets.

Henry Aaron never "dominated" for the Brewers, but it is entirely appropriate that they have retired his no 44. (And the Mets really should have done likewise with Willie Mays's no. 24, which is unofficially retired, having been worn since Mays only by Rickey Henderson, and even then with significant controversy.)

Then there are numbers retired for non-players, such as no. 5 retired for Carl Barger, a founding executive for the Florida Marlins who died before the club's first season. Number 5 was chosen because Barger's favourite player was Joe D. There is also the retired no. 26 (for "the 26th man") bestowed upon Gene Autry by the California Angels. And the Knicks have honoured Red Holtzman by retiring no. 613 (for his victory total).

I am sure there are a few others like this. It is nice that there should be a few exceptions to the norm.

With that said, however, I must admit that I do not like Major League Baseball's decision to retire no. 42 for all teams in honour of Jackie Robinson. I preferred it when individual players, such as Mo Vaughn and Butch Huskey, were free to make that statement themselves. It seems to me that prohibiting players from taking the number in Robinson's honour will actually lead to fewer people knowing about him.

I can remember that, in almost every newspaper story I read about Vaughn and Huskey, it was mentioned that these guys wore no. 42 because of Robinson. In each of those cases, there were some kiddies reading that newspaper story who were encountering the name "Jackie Robinson" for the first time. I think that this is a more appropriate and more powerful means of keeping Robinson's legacy known than is removing the number entirely from circulation.

Anyway, all of these cases -- even the one that I disagree with -- show that there can sometimes be a reason to retire a number other than the most usual reason, which is on-field greatness for that team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I am sure there are a few others like this. It is nice that there should be a few exceptions to the norm.

I can't say that I am convinced by any of the examples you gave, but I also think teams get a little trigger happy when it comes to retiring jerseys, and I'm not a fan of it at all.

• 1 month later...
tim-wakefield-don.jpg

That picture is so wrong. No one should be that happy to wear a Pirates uniform.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

AIPS3_Box.jpg

I thought of this thread the second I heard about the trade.

Why do I get the feeling the Pistons jersey will be the first (second?) of AI's many wrong uniforms?

Total tangent, but, how many times can Antonio McDyess play in Denver?

AIPS3_Box.jpg

I thought of this thread the second I heard about the trade.

Why do I get the feeling the Pistons jersey will be the first (second?) of AI's many wrong uniforms?

Total tangent, but, how many times can Antonio McDyess play in Denver?

As many as Rickey Henderson played in Oakland?

Sometimes a baseball player who is known for only one team becomes a coach with another team. This can make for some weird-looking pictures, as Gothamite showed several pages back with his Ruth-Dodgers shot.

Note that a player's becoming a coach for a team that he otherwise would not have been associated with is different from his becoming a manager , simply because we see the managers much more, and remember them better. So, for example, while Ted Williams in a Senators uni is indeed a bit askew, we have all seen images of it enough times to get used to it.

But coaches are another story.

Joe D. as an A's coach in 1968 or 1969, with Reggie Jackson

joed.jpg

Yogi as an Astros coach, c. 1986 (With adjustable caps? Maybe spring training?)

09F.jpg

Willie Stargell as a Braves coach, c.1988, with Dale Murphy

8f_1.JPG

Luke Appling as a Braves coach, c.1986, also with Dale Murphy

02_1.JPG

Bob Gibson as a Met coach, 1981

4861.jpg

And soon there will be another addition to this list, once we are subjected to the ridiculous sight of Don Mattingly in a Dodger uniform.

Don Mattingly as Dodgers coach:

610x.jpg