The NFL's "All Bust" Team

Slater

I approve of Lawrence Phillips' presence on this list. :cursing:

I'd personally put Phillips down as questionable. On talent alone he might've been a bust. But he was a time bomb from the very start, so that meant he was far from a sure thing to be a productive pro. You never know with those "trouble" guys.

What about Ki-Jana Carter? He's another bustable Penn State RB. I wish Maurice Clarett actually played a game so he could make the list.

On record alone, it would be fitting to let Cam Cameron be the coach.

I'd personally put Phillips down as questionable. On talent alone he might've been a bust. But he was a time bomb from the very start, so that meant he was far from a sure thing to be a productive pro. You never know with those "trouble" guys.

I think looking at that list, the type of talent they were in college, and how high they were drafted, you'd have to call Phillips a bust.

I'd like to nominate Tim Couch and Akili Smith, #1 and #3 respectively of the 1999 NFL draft.

I think looking at that list, the type of talent they were in college, and how high they were drafted, you'd have to call Phillips a bust.

I guess my definition of "bust" means not living up to expectations of what it was largely thought they would do, not could do. Guys with character issues like Phillips and any number before or after him are total crapshoots. It's an even 50/50 bet that they will flame out of the league and land in jail within a couple years, as they will fulfill their potential on the field. So I consider guys like that just gambles that didn't win, not busts.

What about Ki-Jana Carter? He's another bustable Penn State RB.

I guess Carter could be included on this list, but if it was my list, he wouldn't be, primarily because he is considered a bust as a result of his injuries which is not really his fault.

I guess my definition of "bust" means not living up to expectations of what it was largely thought they would do, not could do. Guys with character issues like Phillips and any number before or after him are total crapshoots. It's an even 50/50 bet that they will flame out of the league and land in jail within a couple years, as they will fulfill their potential on the field. So I consider guys like that just gambles that didn't win, not busts.

I think he would have been a bust with or without character issues, but I see what you're getting at.

Your middle round picks usually end up being great picks - a waste of money on them early rounders - all they want is money and then they go out and 'go through' the motions while collecting a paycheck. Now I know there are some wonderful #1 & 2 round picks who have done well, still tooooo many early round flops. Mike Williams is just one of many . . . NFL GMs have a tough job.

Suggestion - don't pick till the 3rd round, unless you have a rock solid guy.

Archived