Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

(Can someone tell me again just how the hell I wound up here?)

You took I-74 West and got onto I-80 West in the Quad Cities.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kansas City has pro sports teams?

New rule: Anyone who lives in a town no one has heard of, isn't allowed to make fun of an actual city for supposedly being irrelevant regarding anything.

But isn't that kinda the point? Anyone living in a big-league city who is a sports fan is going to naturally assign some sort of relevance to even the crappy teams that come in to his or her city to play. It's the kid in Des Moines, or the slack-jawed yokel in Mississippi who's opinions probably count more, since their sense of relevancy isn't skewed by the fact that the Panthers or Orioles just rolled into their city to take on their team.

Also, the term "actual city" is vague at best. What is an "actual city" to you is not necessarily the same to everyone.

lol

OldRomanSig2.jpg

New rule: Anyone who lives in a town no one has heard of, isn't allowed to make fun of an actual city for supposedly being irrelevant regarding anything.

First off, you suck.

Secondly, Fiasco used to live here, thats gotta count for something.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

NHL- Atlanta Thrashers

MLB- Washington Nationals

NBA- Memphis Grizzlies

NFL- Carolina Panthers

Thrashers are getting tons of attention for their impending move.

Nationals received a lot of press last year for Strasburg and Bryce Harper.

The Grizzlies nearly advanced past the second round of the playoffs as an 8 seed so they were in the news recently.

and nobody in the NFL is irrelevant, especially not the team that just used the number one overall pick to select a very polarizing player.

I think you need to read the definition of "Irrelevant".

PvO6ZWJ.png

No, just the Chiefs and Royals.

Double Whammy!

I'm not sure who you like but I'll assume you are a chargers/San Diego fan

just wondering, did San diego make the playoffs last year? No. Did the Chiefs? yes. just sayin... I'm pretty sure that makes them somewhat relevant

They haven't been relevant since they won Super Bowl 4.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

No, just the Chiefs and Royals.

Double Whammy!

I'm not sure who you like but I'll assume you are a chargers/San Diego fan

just wondering, did San diego make the playoffs last year? No. Did the Chiefs? yes. just sayin... I'm pretty sure that makes them somewhat relevant

You know what happens when you assume right?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Panthers...so sad. What about the orioles? Haven't heard anything about them in.....

....when did ripken retire?

The Orioles stay relevant by playing in a division with two major media markets.

The Orioles may not be able to compete consistently or retain good players (from the gripes I hear about Peter Angelos), but as long as they play the media-flooding Red Sox and Yankees, recently contending Rays, and Canada's team Blue Jays, they will always remain in the public eye, and therefore, relevant.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Chaulk it up to a lapse in thought/judgement :P

You went from Indianapolis to Des Moines? I patiently await your "What am I doing in Sioux Falls?" thread.

You took I-74 West and got onto I-80 West in the Quad Cities.

First off, fock each & every one of y'all silly asses. :P

Secondly, to recap: since graduating college in Pittsburgh, I've gone from there to west Texas, from there to Virginia, got deployed, came back, moved out to the B'more/DC area in Maryland, went from there to somewhere south of somewhere else in Indiana, from there up to Indianapolis, and now out here to Des Moines--actually, West Des Moines to be more specific. (None of this includes the little bit of time I spent up in Connecticut during that stretch.) At this rate I might well end up in Sioux Falls or some other BFE spot sometime soon--and in this new profession of mine, that might actually happen rather quick. (Ain't y'all glad y'all ain't me?)

And thirdly...I still maintain the title of Most Irrelevant Sports Franchise belongs to the Sacramento Kings. They're so irrelevant that people keep forgetting to mention that they're irrelevant...along with forgetting that they even exist at all. (And that, my friends, is the true measure of irrelevancy.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

NHL- Atlanta Thrashers

MLB- Washington Nationals

NBA- Memphis Grizzlies

NFL- Carolina Panthers

Disagree about the Nats. Strasburg generated quite a bit of national attention last year, and Harper will soon as well

Indeed. And the Thrashers don't exist anymore so they're no longer irrelevant, they're non-existent.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564982&navid=DL|FLA|home

The Panthers have announced their new marketing campaign is "We See Red."

??We See Red? is one of the most aggressive and fitting marketing campaigns this franchise has ever had,? said Panthers president & COO Michael Yormark. ?Red represents passion, desire, commitment and aggressiveness and that?s exactly the type of team GM Dale Tallon is building here in South Florida. It also represents our franchise?s desire to achieve success on and off the ice, to win, and to build a team and a franchise that our fans and the South Florida community can be proud of.?

"One of the most"? You roll out this campaign and you can't even use an unqualified superlative? What was the most fitting marketing campaign you ever had? "We're air-conditioned"? Well, at least they're really pushing the red now

The Florida Panthers Offseason is presented by JetBlue.

oh

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"One of the most"? You roll out this campaign and you can't even use an unqualified superlative? What was the most fitting marketing campaign you ever had?

Florida Panthers: "We're not a team from an Abercrombie t-shirt, we really exist!"

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Came up in the NHL uniform change thread that the Florida panther is a sad panther because the team hasn't won a playoff game since spring '97, when "Mmmbop" ruled the airwaves. According to the 4/19/97 Billboard Top 100, this is what you were listening to on the radio when the Panthers last won a game in the playoffs:

Jewel - "You Were Meant For Me"

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Cardigans - "Lovefool"

Toni Braxton - "Unbreak My Heart"

En Vogue - "Don't Let Go"

Celine Dion - "All By Myself"

Sheryl Crow - "Every Day Is a Winding Road"

Duncan Sheik - "Barely Breathing"

Paula Cole - "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?"

Spice Girls - "Wannabe"

R. Kelly - "I Believe I Can piss in your mouth Fly"

Blackstreet - "No Diggity"

Mark Morrison - "Return of the Mack"

Shawn Colvin - "Sunny Came Home"

Hootie and the Blowfish - "I Go Blind"

Puff Daddy - "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down"

Hanson - "Mmmbop" (only #34 when the Panthers won! It would only get worse for the Panthers, and us!)

Dave Matthews Band - "Crash Into Me"

Freak Nasty - "Da Dip"

Verve Pipe - "The Freshmen"

Blackout All-Stars - "I Like It"

Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life"

Panthers should play "Mmmbop" at every stoppage (mmmstop, brought to you by Lexus) until they can finish at least 8th out of 15 and win a playoff game.

Came up in the NHL uniform change thread that the Florida panther is a sad panther because the team hasn't won a playoff game since spring '97, when "Mmmbop" ruled the airwaves. According to the 4/19/97 Billboard Top 100, this is what you were listening to on the radio when the Panthers last won a game in the playoffs:

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Cardigans - "Lovefool"

Spice Girls - "Wannabe"

Hanson - "Mmmbop" (only #34 when the Panthers won! It would only get worse for the Panthers, and us!)

Freak Nasty - "Da Dip"

Panthers should play "Mmmbop" at every stoppage

(mmmstop, brought to you by Lexus) until they can finish at least 8th out of 15 and win a playoff game.

What songs will the Blue Jackets or Atlanta/Winnipeg have to look back on? :)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

To me, the most irrelevant team would be some NBA team somewhere because I don't think I can even name them all off the top of my head. I might try, but so that I don't go crazy I would need to know if there are 30 or 32.

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Cardigans - "Lovefool"

Spice Girls - "Wannabe"

Freak Nasty - "Da Dip"

Panthers should play "Mmmbop" at every stoppage (mmmstop, brought to you by Lexus) until they can finish at least 8th out of 15 and win a playoff game.

I will argue until my dying day that "I Go Blind" by Hootie and the Blowfish is the worst song on the above list, and far more infuriating than "Mmmbop". The Hanson kids were all under 16 and homeschooled; the assembled Blowfish were all in their thirties and thought Fairweather Johnson was a suitable album title. What the hell's their excuse?

Poor Panthers. Had they made it to the second round that year, they could've had a fleeting earful of "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've never found Hootie and the Blowfish to be anything worse than acceptable middle-of-the-road rock. A lot of the really over-the-top Hootie hate just feels like a retroactive contrivance to me when there was some much more awful music on top 40 radio at the time. I mean, people liked Live once.

That "I Like It" song is probably the worst one on the list, that and the Spice Girls. Most of those songs are actually kinda good. Unlike the Panthers. If it's any consolation to them, I don't think Shawn Colvin has accomplished anything since spring '97, either.

Archived