2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

The 70s? Wasn't that the last time (before this current franchise :P) a MLB team relocated?

I can't remember what market it was though that lost their team...

The Seattle Pilots were the last US-based team to relocate.

Incorrect. Minus 10 points. Though it may have been lost in the subtle sarcasm of CC97's post, the last team to relocate prior to the Expos was . . . *ahem* . . . the Washington Senators.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/2 game up on the Yankees as the day dawns, so this may be my last chance to quote myself (but hopefully not).

Please pardon me while I quote myself.
Posting this while I still can --

Baltimore Orioles -- First Place, Baby!!!!!!111111ELEVEN

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

1/2 game up on the Yankees as the day dawns, so this may be my last chance to quote myself (but hopefully not).

Don't worry, we'll hopefully take care of it. :D

Jeff Francoeur has had a beastly day so far. The Braves have 10 runs, & Frenchy knocked in 7 of them. I like how our offense is prone to having explosions like this every few games.

hmmm... let's see, the last place Detroit Tigers and the first place Florida Marlins?....

It's a sign of the apocalypse. :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nah. The Tigers will be just fine. Just give their newly stacked lineup and pitching staff time to gel, and in no time you'll have a contender. Trust me, I'm pullin for the Tigers. Two of my teammates (our ace pitcher and our DH, both of whom are two of my very good friends) are HUGE Tiger fans so I'm pullin for Detroit with them. They'll be just fine.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

hmmm... let's see, the last place Detroit Tigers and the first place Florida Marlins?....

LEONARD BURNSTEIN!

And the Nationals have lost nine in a row. If this continues to next week, I'm calling for Manny Acta's head. And a "Pretzel W" pretzel.

Nah. The Tigers will be just fine. Just give their newly stacked lineup and pitching staff time to gel, and in no time you'll have a contender. Trust me, I'm pullin for the Tigers. Two of my teammates (our ace pitcher and our DH, both of whom are two of my very good friends) are HUGE Tiger fans so I'm pullin for Detroit with them. They'll be just fine.

Not when they are in the same division as Cleveland, Chicago, and Minnesota. (As well as a Kansas City team that doesn't appear to completely suck this year.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

LEONARD BURNSTEIN!

And the Nationals have lost nine in a row. If this continues to next week, I'm calling for Manny Acta's head. And a "Pretzel W" pretzel.

I will gladly trade Randolph for Acta

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wanna bet? B)

BB52Big.jpg

Wanna bet? B)

The Phillies started 2007 off with a very similar record to what the Tigers are at now and they went on to win the Division

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wanna bet? B)

The Phillies started 2007 off with a very similar record to what the Tigers are at now and they went on to win the Division

The Phillies also got a little help from The Mets and they play in a weaker division. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: The Tigers are down 11-0 in the 7th to The White Sox. Maybe you guys are seeing something I'm not.

BB52Big.jpg

The video that plays on the Tigers website right now is "Edgar Renteria breaks up Gavin Floyd's no hitter in the eighth inning." That's the only highlight they can muster.

That lineup should be alright, but so many guys on that team had career years last year. Magglio Ordonez's batting average was .52 higher than his career average, Placido Polanco's was .37 higher, so I'd expect them both to regress to the mean -- Curtis Granderson was a .260 hitter in '06, which, to be fair was his first full season. I think the expectations for that lineup this year was a bit outrageous.

Miguel Cabrera's great but their's going to be an adjustment period to the American League.

Dontrelle Willis is easily among the most overrated players in the League.

Their bullpen is iffy...

Count me among those who expected great things from them, but now that I look a little closer, struggles aside, I admit I was wrong, even if it is still early. But I'm with Infrared.

IUe6Hvh.png

The video that plays on the Tigers website right now is "Edgar Renteria breaks up Gavin Floyd's no hitter in the eighth inning." That's the only highlight they can muster.

That lineup should be alright, but so many guys on that team had career years last year. Magglio Ordonez's batting average was .52 higher than his career average, Placido Polanco's was .37 higher, so I'd expect them both to regress to the mean -- Curtis Granderson was a .260 hitter in '06, which, to be fair was his first full season. I think the expectations for that lineup this year was a bit outrageous.

Miguel Cabrera's great but their's going to be an adjustment period to the American League.

Dontrelle Willis is easily among the most overrated players in the League.

Their bullpen is iffy...

Count me among those who expected great things from them, but now that I look a little closer, struggles aside, I admit I was wrong, even if it is still early. But I'm with Infrared.

We have an incorrigible Red Sox basher and a Red Sox fan agreeing on this. If that isn't a sure sign that The Tigers are done then I don't know what is. :D

Seriously though, I did the same thing IntheEnd88 did. At first glance Detroit looks really tough. But he's absolutely right, if you take a closer look at The Tigers you're going to notice quite a few problems. No bullpen, after Verlander what do you have for a rotation? Bonderman? 80 year old Kenny Rogers? If Dontrelle Willis returns to form it would make a huge difference but so far that hasn't happened. Two bad losses and a trip to the DL so far for the D-train. Upon closer examination The Tigers added Cabrera and an iffy Dontrelle Willis to a team that already had problems last season. Take it from an Indians fan who saw this type of lineup throughout the mid 90's you can't slug your way to a World Series championship.

There's all that or you could simply point out that any team with Jason Grilli in their bullpen is already in serious trouble.

BB52Big.jpg

Well a tie still counts. That makes tomorrow's game at Camden Yards a first place showdown (and I will be there, three rows behind the Orioles dugout).

Joe Borowski comes through again. He just gave up the lead against the Red Sox. First he gave up a run to tie it then he gave up a bomb to Manny Ramirez that just landed in my back yard. Why that rag armed stiff is taking up space on a major league roster is beyond me.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived