Browns brown pants.

Elfman

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brownies have ditched the brown pants already, then this will be the fourth time in their team history that they have tried to tweak their unis in the preseason...and totally messed it up!!

In 1954 they wore an orange jersey in preseason...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

In 1964, they tried the CB logo on the helmets in preseason...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

In 1984, they had orange numbers on the brown jerseys...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

Now in 2008 we get the brown pants!

Why does this team continue to screw up uniform tweaks???

The 1954 Orange Jersey idea was a Paul Brown expiriment. It was to see how much easier the color was to see in night games. I don't think it was so much fan backlash as it was Paul Brown discontinuing the experiment.

The "CB" Logo wasn't designed until 1965. Art "The Anti-Christ" Modell hated the Brownie Elf mascot and wanted a replacement. He had them placed on the helmets. Supposedly, they made it to one game (Preseason vs Green Bay in Cleveland.) but in fact, the players themselves removed them before any preseason games took place.

The 1984 Uniforms were HORRIBLE. It was in 1985 that the Browns came back with the classic uniform.

Here is more you forgot. Or did not realize it.)

Carmen Policy changes the pant stripes in 2003. There were in fact two sets of White Pants; one for the Brown Jersey and one for the White Jersey. He also introduced the Orange Game Jersey in 2002. The fans for the most part hated Carmen's changes. (Carmen was soon ran out off town.)

I'm working on a Browns Uniform History Website.

Thanks for the info, I did indeed forget the other changes. I'm just wondering why the Browns would spend so much money (maybe $200 for each pair of pants, for 60-70 guys...not cheap) on something that they didn't adequately research beforehand, like with a poll of the fans. I don't know of any other teams that have done this.

The only change the Browns made that the fans didn't hate was the orange pants in 1975...and that's because they looked good!

The Orange Pants are popular among Browns Fans in my age group (I'm 43) because that's what they wore when we became fans. I wish they would come back as an alternate set (But in a more subdued shade than the recent attempt.)

It was Carmen Policy that brought in the two sets of White Pants, and that wasn't the only crappy idea that Policy forced on us. (He was full of them and full of it.)

I agree with you, meanwhile in enemy territory we are trying to get the Rooney's to change the numeral and letter fonts back from the rounded to the block numerals during the pre 1997 days because we hate it literally, we had a online petition trying to persuade the rooneys to change it.

Oh, I agree with you completely. The Steelers should go back to the Full Block Numbers. That font (which matches their helmet numbers.) just doesn't look right on the jerseys, especially considering that the rest of the uniform itself did not change.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

If the Brownies have ditched the brown pants already, then this will be the fourth time in their team history that they have tried to tweak their unis in the preseason...and totally messed it up!!

In 1954 they wore an orange jersey in preseason...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

In 1964, they tried the CB logo on the helmets in preseason...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

In 1984, they had orange numbers on the brown jerseys...the fans hated it, so they disappeared.

Now in 2008 we get the brown pants!

Why does this team continue to screw up uniform tweaks???

The 1954 Orange Jersey idea was a Paul Brown expiriment. It was to see how much easier the color was to see in night games. I don't think it was so much fan backlash as it was Paul Brown discontinuing the experiment.

The "CB" Logo wasn't designed until 1965. Art "The Anti-Christ" Modell hated the Brownie Elf mascot and wanted a replacement. He had them placed on the helmets. Supposedly, they made it to one game (Preseason vs Green Bay in Cleveland.) but in fact, the players themselves removed them before any preseason games took place.

The 1984 Uniforms were HORRIBLE. It was in 1985 that the Browns came back with the classic uniform.

Here is more you forgot. Or did not realize it.)

Carmen Policy changes the pant stripes in 2003. There were in fact two sets of White Pants; one for the Brown Jersey and one for the White Jersey. He also introduced the Orange Game Jersey in 2002. The fans for the most part hated Carmen's changes. (Carmen was soon ran out off town.)

I'm working on a Browns Uniform History Website.

Thanks for the info, I did indeed forget the other changes. I'm just wondering why the Browns would spend so much money (maybe $200 for each pair of pants, for 60-70 guys...not cheap) on something that they didn't adequately research beforehand, like with a poll of the fans. I don't know of any other teams that have done this.

The only change the Browns made that the fans didn't hate was the orange pants in 1975...and that's because they looked good!

The Orange Pants are popular among Browns Fans in my age group (I'm 43) because that's what they wore when we became fans. I wish they would come back as an alternate set (But in a more subdued shade than the recent attempt.)

It was Carmen Policy that brought in the two sets of White Pants, and that wasn't the only crappy idea that Policy forced on us. (He was full of them and full of it.)

I agree with you, meanwhile in enemy territory we are trying to get the Rooney's to change the numeral and letter fonts back from the rounded to the block numerals during the pre 1997 days because we hate it literally, we had a online petition trying to persuade the rooneys to change it.

Oh, I agree with you completely. The Steelers should go back to the Full Block Numbers. That font (which matches their helmet numbers.) just doesn't look right on the jerseys, especially considering that the rest of the uniform itself did not change.

this should be the browns uni combos

Road

10200.a.jpg

Home

610x.jpg

Alt

img.79196_t.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Two sets of the same colored pants is silly (possible exceptions made for the Broncos and Falcons.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

thin stripes>>>>wide stripes

When the arrow goes this way " > ", that means that the object on the left is greater than (or better than) the one on the right. You obviously thought it was the other way around.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

:rolleyes:

I agree. He is pretty silly for thinking the thin stripes look better!

:D

The Browns Alternate is based on the uniform change (Numbers on the side of the helmet.) that came in 1957, which is also the year that they drafted Jim Brown.

There is a rumor going around that there will be a change to plain White Helmet* to honor the Browns AAFC (All-American Football Conference, which lasted from 1946 to 1949.) Teams. The AAFC is where the Browns & 49ers came from. The Browns won all four League Titles and in 1948, went undefeated 25 years before the Dolphins did it in '72.)

motley_sm.jpg

Marion Motley.

*The Browns also wore White Helmets for Day Games only during their first season in the NFL in 1950. There was a rule that year where teams couldn't wear white, silver or metallic gold helmets during night games. This is where the use of the Orange Helmets started.

motley_sm.jpg

Marion Motley.

*The Browns also wore White Helmets for Day Games only during their first season in the NFL in 1950. There was a rule that year where teams couldn't wear white, silver or metallic gold helmets during night games. This is where the use of the Orange Helmets started.

First off, what's with the Browns players wearing Converse all-stars on a football field?

second, anyone know the reason they weren't allowed to wear white during a night game?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I presume that the rule would have had something to do with the white ball - maybe they were afraid that it would be less visible if teams were wearing white or very light-colored helmets.

This is the only photo of the white ball in action I have handy (Don Hutson in action against the College All-Stars):

2800260087_6a388a1305_o.jpg

motley_sm.jpg

Marion Motley.

First off, what's with the Browns players wearing Converse all-stars on a football field?

second, anyone know the reason they weren't allowed to wear white during a night game?

Frozen field.. famous story.

I presume that the rule would have had something to do with the white ball - maybe they were afraid that it would be less visible if teams were wearing white or very light-colored helmets.

This is the only photo of the white ball in action I have handy (Don Hutson in action against the College All-Stars):

Hutson%20running%20press%20photo%20apr%207.jpg

. . . which was used for night games at the time.

Gothamite, your photo and second paragraph shows up when I am typing my reply, but not in the main thread. Interesting.

EDIT: Nevermind. It is showing up now, but it wasn't before.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

YAY

09000d5d80a38f07_gallery_600.jpg

EH

09000d5d80a1c01f_gallery_600.jpg

NO WAY

vonoelhoffen_sack.jpg

This was a photo of them in orange pants, but I can't find a quality shot.

This was the best though:

White facemask, wide pants stripes, wide shoulder stripes, and sock stripes!

340x.jpg

Hehe...this cover makes me laugh! It's like dumb and dumber. I liked the jerseys this year the best though.

0419_large.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The reborn Browns have the No. 1 choice.

Do they take Kentucky's Tin Couch,

Oregon's Akili Smith, or...?

The best selection here for the long-term would have been "C. The drunken fatass in the background done up like a dog."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

motley_sm.jpg

Marion Motley.

Frozen field.. famous story.

The Field in the old Municipal Stadium at times would be frozen so hard that you would slip on cleats and not get any footing at all, so Paul Brown would have them wear the basketball shoes under those conditions to make it easier to move.

I have seen one of the White Footballs at the Hall of Fame. Because of the helmet rule, some teams had two sets and some went to a helmet color that they still use:

The Browns of course had the White Helmet & the Orange Helmet. (Obviously, Paul Brown wanted to stick with a light color.)

The 49ers had a Silver Helmet (No, not Gold. They used Silver then.) and a Red Helmet.

The Lions had the Silver Helmet and a Blue Helmet

The Cardinals had the White Helmet and a Cardinal/Crimson Helmet

I will have to do research into two more teams, but I think that...

The Eagles went with the Green Shell because of this. Before that, they had a Green Shell with Silver/Gray Side Panels.

I also think this is when The Giants went with the Blue Helmets. (I'm not sure.) I have seen old photos of Giants Players in White Helmets with Blue Trim.

The reborn Browns have the No. 1 choice.

Do they take Kentucky's Tin Couch,

Oregon's Akili Smith, or...?

The best selection here for the long-term would have been "C. The drunken fatass in the background done up like a dog."

Literally LOL'd at that one. Excellent!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived