NY Dragons to unveil new logo

reppact

My brother goes to Hofstra (senior on baseball team) and he says it's awesome to see Jets players around all the time, like it's nothing.

Here's the helmet logo:

nydr-helmet.jpg

I was prepared to hate this change, because I loved the old Dragons' logo. I have 3 caps bearing the old logo, in one form or another.

And, after seeing the new logo I still don't like some aspects of it -- the new dragon is much less striking than the old one; and the new wordmark is a huge downgrade from the old one. The colours also feel strange after years of red, yellow, and black (but I imagine I'll eventually get used to them).

However, if this "NY" is the helmet logo, I have to say I like this part of the change. I really love a letter-based helmet logo! (Even though it certainly was not necessary for the Dragons to make this overall change just to get a letter-based helmet logo; they could easily have made a fine "NY" out of the typeface used for the old wordmark.)

Having a letter-based logo appears to be a nice little trend in the AFL, as almost half the league's 17 teams now have helmet insignias based on letters. With this change, the Dragons join Arizona, Colorado, Chicago (which uses an "R" for the nickname "Rush"), Cleveland, Columbus ("CD" for "Columbus Destroyers"), Georgia ("GF" for "Georgia Force"), LA, and Orlando ("P" for "Predators") in this group.

I'd love to see San Jose join this letter-logo group by switching its helmet and shoulder logos -- I say that that team should move the "SJ" logo it wears on the shoulders onto the helmet, and put the cat-head that currently adorns the helmet onto the shoulders.

At any rate, perhaps there is some new overall trend in favour of letter-based logos as opposed to graphically-based ones, and perhaps this trend is finding expression in logos such as this new Dragons logo and that of the Oklahoma City Railhawks. If so, then I am in favour if it.

NO WAY

LETTERS ARE FOR BASEBALL

LOGOS ARE FOR FOOTBALL

THE SABERCATS HELMETS HAS ONE OF THE GAUDIEST HELMETS AROUND

I'll have to disagree with you there. One of the ugliest helmets. The logo is too big, if they toned it down a bit, than maybe

I CREATED THE LOGO FOR MY FORMER HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM

THE "LIONS"

AND I TRIED THAT SAME STYLE

BUT ...

THEY ENDED UP GOING WITH A REGULAR SIZE LION LOGO THAT I DREW INSTEAD

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUTTTT!!!!!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anxious to see the helmet and unis, but already an upgrade from what they had.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Does anybody on Long Island really care about where the Jets' training camp is?

yes. When you live down the block from Hofstra it's nice to be able to stop by and watch all the time.

Not anymore. They now practice in New Jersey. The Jets will only be at Hofstra for summer camp.

yes. When you live down the block from Hofstra it's nice to be able to stop by and watch all the time.

Not anymore. They now practice in New Jersey. The Jets will only be at Hofstra for summer camp.

That's what they were talking about...

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Courtesy someone from the league message boards (Gary where are you?). The same image is used on both sides of the helmet (i.e., they didn't try to reverse the direction, like the Georgia Force do).

IMG_6237.jpg

It's where I sit.

It wasn't just the training camp, the team practiced all year at Hofstra. The players were part of the community. As long as they were there, there was hope they would stay in New York. The Jets were probably more Long Island than the Islanders. Having both teams in New Jersey stinks and if you live in Long Islang you need to take 2 bridges to get to games and it can take over 3 hours to get home from a game.

That's what they were talking about...

I don't think they are going to Hoftra anymore. I think they were going to have a practice or two there, but there new facility is state of the art, they aren't leaving there.

Courtesy someone from the league message boards (Gary where are you?). The same image is used on both sides of the helmet (i.e., they didn't try to reverse the direction, like the Georgia Force do).

IMG_6237.jpg

I like it, I think they did a nice job. It's sharp.

Helmet looks great - on that side. I haven't seen the other side, but I imagine it looks pretty odd with the logo "pointing" towards the front.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yep - looks odd. Sucks they couldn't come up with a good way to reverse the logo (I guess it'd be impossible to have the tail go the other way.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

IMG_6237.jpg

Oh sure bring me into this :P. Been busy with meetings lately, haven't really had a chance to go to the communism we call the arena boards and haven't flocked onto Arenafan. Just haven't had time. As far as the logo. I like it. The helmet is very nice. Although green would have been a much better selection for the helmet

Overall, I like this change for the Dragons. The tie-in of the pointy G in Dragons matching the end of the tail from the logo is a neat element, and the choice of colors is pleasant. Hopefully, they'll incorporate a little more silver on the uniforms.

But ya know... This might be my Portland bias talking, but, I really liked these Dragons helmets the best...

pfdh1.jpg

pfdh2.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I know... Different franchise... Your point? :-p

And speaking of ArenaFan... OMG, I remember back about 10 years ago when it was pretty much a grassroots operation, with fans keeping it running and updated with all things Arenaball, and the e-mail list I used to participate in. There were some great conversations and arguments in that group! *sigh* Good times...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Yep - looks odd. Sucks they couldn't come up with a good way to reverse the logo (I guess it'd be impossible to have the tail go the other way.)

Couldn't you merely "shift" the slant in the other direction? So instead of having the logo leaning to the right, you could have the same logo leaning to the left... wouldn't that work?

Great poor Sparky the mascot has to change his colors again(in case u dont know sparky is both the dragons and islanders mascot hes red and black for the dragons and they have a blue and orange suit for the islanders). Hes more iqunia then he is dragon with all these changes lol.

Couldn't you merely "shift" the slant in the other direction? So instead of having the logo leaning to the right, you could have the same logo leaning to the left... wouldn't that work?

Not really - you'd have to change the direction of the italics on "NY", which wouldn't work as well.

I think the logo works on both sides.

Archived