MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

I'm actually happy that Frankie blew another one. Moreno announced that he wasn't planning on increasing payroll very much next year. Hopefully this will convince him to let Frankie walk, bump payroll up a bit, and lock up Teixeira. Arredondo is a closer in the making, so that'll fill in that gap. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Aybar dealt someplace, have Figgy shift to short, and start Wood at the 5 next year. Wood started showing promise late in the year when he finally got regular at-bats, and 3B needs to be a power position.

For sure, lock up Teixeira, let K-Rod walk... the guy's flat out overrated.

And with Teixeira, that 3-4-5 is scaaaary.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually happy that Frankie blew another one. Moreno announced that he wasn't planning on increasing payroll very much next year. Hopefully this will convince him to let Frankie walk, bump payroll up a bit, and lock up Teixeira. Arredondo is a closer in the making, so that'll fill in that gap. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Aybar dealt someplace, have Figgy shift to short, and start Wood at the 5 next year. Wood started showing promise late in the year when he finally got regular at-bats, and 3B needs to be a power position.

K-Rod is reminding me of Trevor Hoffman. Rack up a bunch of saves in the regular season and blow-up come clutch time. I know blown saves happen but if they do you can't be given up these long shots like he has, be it Manny last year or Drew this year (and to a lesser extent that Ortiz hit). If you look at a guy like Rivera and the saves he has blown in the postseason they are mostly on bloop shots that just barely make it out of the infield. That you can live with, having your closer give up these mammoth home runs you can't. Granted it's not fair comparing a guy to Rivera (and I'm not) because he is arguably the best closer ever but the point is there.

I know a certain Mets fan on this board that will gladly take him. :D As a sort of Angels fan (I watch them on Extra Innings all the time) I agree with you. Teixiera needs to stick around. K-Rod is a high wire act far too often to unload a boatload of cash on him. The K-Rod money could go to something far more constructive to the team. I'm just not a big fan of long term deals for closers.

And for what it's worth, we saw the 2008 World Champions win on a J.D. Drew home run tonight.

In other news, O.J. Simpson is about to hang in a Las Vegas courtroom. CNN has the verdict live right now.

BB52Big.jpg

I really think the Angels can come back.

Now you won't hear from me until the world series unless the Angels come back.

I don't want to hear from you ever, at least not until you figure out how the Internet works.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I blame this loss solely on Mike Scioscia. I've watched it for years and especially this year, bringing in the closer in a tied game, usually the closer blows the game. I saw it in person with Frankie vs. the White Sox this year and Frankie doesn't do well in tied games. I don't understand why Scioscia can't figure this out by now, bad managerial move. He knows his players and should know how Frankie does in tied games, not well. If anyone's to blame for this loss and the Angels down 2-0, it's Scioscia who killed their momentum by bringing in Frankie. I do understand the theory behind it, I just watch it blow up in manager after manager's faces. So, are we looking at four sweeps?

One more thing, guilty on all charges

Eto...Nani?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I blame this loss solely on Mike Scioscia. I've watched it for years and especially this year, bringing in the closer in a tied game, usually the closer blows the game. I saw it in person with Frankie vs. the White Sox this year and Frankie doesn't do well in tied games. I don't understand why Scioscia can't figure this out by now, bad managerial move. He knows his players and should know how Frankie does in tied games, not well. If anyone's to blame for this loss and the Angels down 2-0, it's Scioscia who killed their momentum by bringing in Frankie. I do understand the theory behind it, I just watch it blow up in manager after manager's faces. So, are we looking at four sweeps?

He doesn't bring K-Rod in he gets killed if his team ends up losing the game. The Angels were home which meant there would be no save situation because of the tie. Your closer is supposed to be your best relief pitcher, you have to bring him in in a game that you almost need to win and are losing or tied in. Scioscia made the right move, K-Rod just couldn't get it done. That falls on the player.

Could we get 4 sweeps in the first round?

I hope so. The quicker this gets done, the less this drags on. The NBA should go back to this, honestly.

HOME RUN JD DREW!!! That place got real quiet, real quick.

lol @ that. It was still pretty loud, I bet, and not because of Angel fans popping those thundersticks. :P

I hope so. The quicker this gets done, the less this drags on. The NBA should go back to this, honestly.

The playoff schedule is already pre-detirmined. So if there are 4 sweeps the LCSes don't start earlier we just go a couple of days withou baseball.

The playoff schedule is already pre-detirmined. So if there are 4 sweeps the LCSes don't start earlier we just go a couple of days withou baseball.

Well that sucks.

Though I guess I shouldn't complain because it'd give Drew, Lowell, and Beckett a bit more rest.

IUe6Hvh.png

Aw, no clusterfudge of scheduling like in the NBA? That sucks. :(

Holy crap...

We could potentially have an MLB Postseason quadruple header tomorrow?! Almost makes me want the Cubs to win. Though, I guess with football on, I'd only watch the later games, anyway...

IUe6Hvh.png

I must be a sadist or something, because I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Cubs wallow in their frustration. I came into this series going for the Cubs, and now I want to see them lose.

*anticipates a Cubs comeback just for the hell of it.* :P

I must be a sadist or something, because I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Cubs wallow in their frustration. I came into this series going for the Cubs, and now I want to see them lose.

*anticipates a Cubs comeback just for the hell of it.* :P

I'm really enjoying it as well. Though I was pulling for the Cubs for a large chunk of the season -- the day the Dodgers got Manny (no matter how frustrated with him I was towards the end of his tenure with Boston), they became my NL team of choice.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived