MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing Brad Penny in the new road uniforms made me come to a conclusion...

They're awesome looking; very classic and old tyme feel that just look great. All the navy with just the touches of red on the cap and on the sleeve patch even look good. ...

The thing is... it's just not the best for the Red Sox.

I agree completely. Boston's road uniform is an excellent uniform, but not a perfect fit for the Red Sox. Personally, I think that simply wearing red socks at all times solves the problem. Yes, the red socks would contrast -- though not clash -- with the road uniform, thereby breaking the aesthetic unity that makes it such a terrific uniform. But as has been said, when a team is named after a distinctive element of its uniform, making that element of the uniform distinctive is a feature, not a flaw.

Sometimes, seeing a uniform in action changes my appraisal of it compared to my expectations when first seeing it modeled. And in a sense, Boston's new road uniform simply looks a little better than I expected. But it looks even more like a Yankees-esque watering down of the team's identity. The Red Sox already unfortunately wear the same color caps as their chief rival; why adopt a road uniform that also apes the Yankees? It's not like the Red Sox have a particularly consistent history of excellent uniforms, so I don't mind the change as change, but it takes the team in the wrong direction from a visual identity standpoint.

20082614447.png

They're awesome looking; very classic and old tyme feel that just look great. All the navy with just the touches of red on the cap and on the sleeve patch even look good. ...

The thing is... it's just not the best for the Red Sox.

I agree completely. Boston's road uniform is an excellent uniform, but not a perfect fit for the Red Sox. Personally, I think that simply wearing red socks at all times solves the problem. Yes, the red socks would contrast -- though not clash -- with the road uniform, thereby breaking the aesthetic unity that makes it such a terrific uniform. But as has been said, when a team is named after a distinctive element of its uniform, making that element of the uniform distinctive is a feature, not a flaw.

Sometimes, seeing a uniform in action changes my appraisal of it compared to my expectations when first seeing it modeled. And in a sense, Boston's new road uniform simply looks a little better than I expected. But it looks even more like a Yankees-esque watering down of the team's identity. The Red Sox already unfortunately wear the same color caps as their chief rival; why adopt a road uniform that also apes the Yankees? It's not like the Red Sox have a particularly consistent history of excellent uniforms, so I don't mind the change as change, but it takes the team in the wrong direction from a visual identity standpoint.

If the Yankees had done this to their roads; "New York" in solid navy, no sleeve trim, then that'd be a great completion to their set. That's what also makes this such a hard fit for the Sox because of how perfect of a look it would be for their hated rivals.

Still, it looks great as an individual uniform. Just doesn't seem to be the right team wearing it.

645833f50078c4737e31d19acdf88c55-getty-85129756sd013_boston_red_so.jpg

They're awesome looking; very classic and old tyme feel that just look great. All the navy with just the touches of red on the cap and on the sleeve patch even look good. Of course, this is mainly with the hiked up pants. Those wearing the baggy, beyond the foot pants, don't look as good. But overall excellent look.

The thing is... it's just not the best for the Red Sox. Hell, I'd say if Washington had done something like this with their roadies, all navy with maybe a red (or white) curly 'W' on the cap and maybe a solid red 'DC' outlined in navy (no gold) on the sleeve, with the "special" material that the BoSox used, or another team with navy and red, it'd be one hell of a look. But this just does not say "Red Sox". And I'm torn, asthetically, because the look itself is great, but does not fit the identity of the team wearing it (and I really hate the Red Sox, so it's very conflicting for me to have such passion on this topic).

If the Red Sox are going to go back to the plain navy letters/numbers on the roads, then they need to bring back the old stirrups. My old fart flag is flying here, but both the solid navy socks shown above and the solid red sox SUCK for the Red Sox; for the love of Pudge Fisk and Yaz, bring the old stirrups back! And get off my lawn you damn kids! :P

645833f50078c4737e31d19acdf88c55-getty-85129756sd013_boston_red_so.jpg

They're awesome looking; very classic and old tyme feel that just look great. All the navy with just the touches of red on the cap and on the sleeve patch even look good. Of course, this is mainly with the hiked up pants. Those wearing the baggy, beyond the foot pants, don't look as good. But overall excellent look.

The thing is... it's just not the best for the Red Sox. Hell, I'd say if Washington had done something like this with their roadies, all navy with maybe a red (or white) curly 'W' on the cap and maybe a solid red 'DC' outlined in navy (no gold) on the sleeve, with the "special" material that the BoSox used, or another team with navy and red, it'd be one hell of a look. But this just does not say "Red Sox". And I'm torn, asthetically, because the look itself is great, but does not fit the identity of the team wearing it (and I really hate the Red Sox, so it's very conflicting for me to have such passion on this topic).

If the Red Sox are going to go back to the plain navy letters/numbers on the roads, then they need to bring back the old stirrups. My old fart flag is flying here, but both the solid navy socks shown above and the solid red sox SUCK for the Red Sox; for the love of Pudge Fisk and Yaz, bring the old stirrups back! And get off my lawn you damn kids! :P

For Christ's sake, the solid red socks are what are depicted in the LOGO!!! The blue socks not so much, but I'd much rather see those worn on the road than the ugly striped stirrups that are a symbol of bad times and bad owners. :cursing:

Don't you realize that such plain greys are also a symbol of bad times and ownership?

Indeed I do realize that. However these gray uniforms with this wordmark and this number AND name font are what I would consider a symbol of the CURRENT ownership.

Don't you realize that such plain greys are also a symbol of bad times and ownership?

Indeed I do realize that. However these gray uniforms with this wordmark and this number AND name font are what I would consider a symbol of the CURRENT ownership.

Stripes on baseball stirrups are what made america great.

i know these arent new, but the cardinals wore thier alt hat today and i personally like it better then the regular home hat. it just goes better with the uniform and i have memories of that hat from little league.

I disagree. The interlocking StL is one of the best cap logos in the league IMO, and the bird on the bat hat should be a BP jersey at most. It might work a little bit better with the roads, however.

330zl3b.png

i know these arent new, but the cardinals wore thier alt hat today and i personally like it better then the regular home hat. it just goes better with the uniform and i have memories of that hat from little league.

I disagree. The interlocking StL is one of the best cap logos in the league IMO, and the bird on the bat hat should be a BP jersey at most. It might work a little bit better with the roads, however.

The Cardinals caps/uniforms are great exactly the way they are. No need to change any of them. An occasionally used red alternate jersey would be the only addition/change that would work while still maintaining their nice, simple, classy look. And even without that, they're still a near perfect set.

I don't really like the idea of a red alternate for the Cardinals. Their white uniforms are so good, why subtract dates? I don't like the navy hat or the bird hat, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't really like the idea of a red alternate for the Cardinals. Their white uniforms are so good, why subtract dates? I don't like the navy hat or the bird hat, though.

How about making it a road-only alt, then? I would be all for a red or navy alternate with the "St. Louis" or "Saint Louis" script.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived