49'ers in classic 80's era look yesterday

mmejia

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are great. And I'm not a "everything was better before, just because" guy, but the current set has gotten OLD in a hurry. Mismatched stripes (helmet stripes have no gold seperation but its there on the pants... hate that), cheesy overdone number outlines, logo creep EVERYWHERE (what? We didn't see it on the helmet? You need it on the sleeves AND the pants? REALLY?).

A slightly (deal with the sleeve problem) update on this thrpwback and you've got a top three NFL uni.

Hey, look, it's this debate again!

Current set > these.

These are great, but dated. The pants stripe is wider than your great aunt's behind. Those flat gold mustard yellow pants are gross and don't match the helmet.

These uniforms were great in the 80s, and some of the best NFL teams ever to play, but the current set is far superior.

Keep it as a once-a-year throwback.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

This is a great uniform...from the 80's. It doesn't beat their current set at all (imo). You have the shiny gold that pops more than khaki color, the updated logo, and the red mask.

KISSwall09.jpg

These are absolutely beautiful. The current ones suck. The "updated" logo is a downgrade. I hate that they got rid of the scarlet that made the jerseys so bold, despite being so plain. This is another example of a teams failing when trying to "upgrade" their look by making their colors darker. Cardinal is not an upgrade over scarlet. The new helmets and pants are terrible with no white at all, and even worse, the stripes don't match between the two. Also, the current gold looks more yellowy, which isn't good. Throw in the awful drop shadow, and the ridiculousness of the logo being on each sleeve and hip.

There are things that could be changed from the old unis, but they are close to perfect. If one wanted to "modernize" the look, it would be easy.

1. Bring back the old helmets. I prefer the gray facemasks, but they can be scarlet if need be.

2. Go back to scarlet jerseys, except move the numbers onto the shoulders to accommodate the ridiculous jersey cuts of today. Keep the triple stripe on the sleeves, but make them gold with a while outline (red with a gold outline on the road).

3. No drop shadow numbers. I don't think you need to do more than solid numbers, but if you must, add a single thick gold outline.

4. Pants are metallic gold, with a standard width red-white-red stripe to match the helmet.

Can anyone do a concept of that?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't understand the love for these. If they were unveiled now, we would pick them apart. For starters, there is black in the logo but nowhere else. One of the team's primary colors is gold, yet it is nowhere to be found on the jersey.

Let's leep these under-designed nothings in the past. Thanks.

I don't understand the love for these. If they were unveiled now, we would pick them apart. For starters, there is black in the logo but nowhere else. One of the team's primary colors is gold, yet it is nowhere to be found on the jersey.

I'm in 100% agreement.

Just like the cluster :censored: still worn by the the Pittsburgh Steelers, the vintage Joe Montana-era uniforms of the 49ers are embraced by their fans based solely on the legacy and tradition of them.

6uXNWAo.png

Let's leep these under-designed nothings in the past.

I'll take under-designed over over-designed anyday. These, though significantly flawed, are better than the current set.

It would be easier to fix the flaws in the throwbacks than those in the current ones.

Then they wouldn't be underdesigned.

I'll take under-designed over over-designed anyday. These, though significantly flawed, are better than the current set.

It would be easier to fix the flaws in the throwbacks than those in the current ones.

Then they wouldn't be underdesigned.

Yes they would. You don't need drop shadows on stripes, that's over-design. Make one of the stripes on the sleeves gold, outline the numbers in gold, go to metallic gold pants instead of khaki, slim down the pants stripe, and keep the helmet as is. The Kansas City chiefs have an entire helmet without their secondary color in it and it seems to work just fine for them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Hey, look, it's this debate again!

Current set > these.

These are great, but dated. The pants stripe is wider than your great aunt's behind. Those flat gold mustard yellow pants are gross and don't match the helmet.

End of the discussion right there.

Beyond that, this is a close case. However, IMHO, the ridiculous stripes are the dealbreaker.

For what it's worth, I also hated the Rams stripes before they changed and hate the Colts current pants stripes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm in 100% agreement.

Just like the cluster :censored: still worn by the the Pittsburgh Steelers, the vintage Joe Montana-era uniforms of the 49ers are embraced by their fans based solely on the legacy and tradition of them.

++ This

I'm a lifelong 49ers fan and, while I love the previous uniform set, I prefer the current set.

On Sunday, the 49ers looked like how the 49ers should look. So much so, that while watching the game it never occured to me that they were wearing throwbacks - and I'm usually a stickler for such things.

They looked like the San Francisco 49ers!

How they played is another matter...

Simple, classic, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

I'm not a fan of the new darker red, and I hate the drop shadow on the numbers ... makes the whole thing so dark (probably the same reason why I hate the Eagles stuff ... too dark).

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Out of style.

Current set makes these look like a eyesore.

I think the throwbacks look better than what they have now...

...but maybe they are just pretentious.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'm curious to find out specifically what you find flawed about these throwbacks AND the current set because I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate the old vegas gold, and horrible treatment of the pants, but love the simplicity of the red jersey. On the flip side, I love the inclusion of black into the current unis and actually kind of like the treatment of the numbers and the helmet but think it might be a bit much.

In the end I think they should have gone with the older throwback versions that they wore in their Superbowl victory during the Steve Young era. THOSE were sweet. I think these two incarnations fall waaay short of that old beaute.

Archived