Curses...

gueman

OK so now Philly has jumped on the "cursed" bandwagon with the silly "curse of Billy Penn" BS. My mother was Philly born and raised and never heard of such a thing. And My Pop if he was still alive would have said "there is no curse, they just stink", my Pop met my Nanny at an A's game in 1919, she sold programs so the old guy new his baseball.

So today I came up with curses for almost all 30 MLB teams...

Baltimore Orioles- Curse of the Cartoon Bird- Record with, 2030-1614 and 2 AL East and 6 AL Crowns and 3 World Championships, Record with out, 2389-2504 with one wild card and one AL East crown.

New York Yankees- Curse of the Moose - Mike Mussina went to the Yankees in 2001 to win a World Series Ring, the Yanks have not won the series since.

Boston Red Sox- Curse of the obnoxious fans. Sox Pats and Celts all won titles the last few years, yea we get it you are the center of the sports world.

Toronto Blue Jays- Curse of the ???

Tampa Rays- Curse of the Boss- King George wanted the Rays to be his other AAA team. The joke may be on him in 2008 and beyond.

Cleveland Indians - Curse of the Cuyahoga- Just 'cause I like the sound of it, and the river has been polluted since the team last one a championship, and maybe even before.

Detroit Tigers- Curse of the Noid. Ever since that Domino's ad campaign the team has not won a WS.

Chicago White Sox- Curse of - Team has not won the WS since he started to run for President. :D

Kansas City Royals - Curse of the we had our chance in the '70's and '80's

Minnesota Twins - Curse of Kirby- Since he retired the team has not been back to the WS.

Oakland A's - Curse of Al Davis- The A's have not been back to the Series since Al brought the Raiders back to Oakland.

Seattle Mariners- Curse of the Rising Sun - They are owned by Nintendo for gosh sakes!

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim- Curse of the pick a location name and stick with it.

Texas Rangers - The Curse of the Star The only time the team has won anything at all is when a Star has been featured predominately in the logo. Just like the Cowboys and the Stars only star logos win in the Big D.

Atlanta Braves - Curse of Crazy Ted- Crazy Ted is gone and so are the wins.

New York Mets - Curse of Billy Buckner - Only won because of some one else's misfortune.

Philadelphia Phillies - Since the curse of Billy Penn seems to be a media creation. How 'bout the Curse of Hall & Oats

Washington Nationals - Curse of Rusty Staub - The last act of the Expos folk hero was to curse the franchise as the team packed up and moved south.

Florida Marlins - Curse of the fair weather Fans - Not even 2 World Titles in 6 years can put fans in the stands.

Pittsburgh Pirates- Curse of the really bad management since the mid '80's took a once great franchise and drove it into the ground.

Cincinnati Reds- Curse of Marge- The team has not won much since the chain smoking maven sold the team.

Chicago Cubs- Curse of the Billy Goat or If we ever win it all what else will ESPN have to talk about in September.

St. Louis Cardinals- Curse of Inbev - The Cards will not win much as long as AB is owned by Inbev.

Houston Astros - Curse of Astroturf - The team that gave us plastic grass on cement. No titles for you!

Milwaukee Brewers - Curse of Bud - ' Nuff said.

San Francisco Giants - Curse of the Clear- Barry and Balco soiled this franchise for a generation.

San Diego Padres - Curse of Brown - no team in baseball that had brown as a color has ever won the WS. Then again only 2 ever wore brown. The Padres and the Browns.

Los Angeles Dodgers - Curse of the late arriving and early leaving fans. Come late and leave early that is the LA Dodger fan way.

Arizona Diamondbacks - Curse of the "but it's a dry heat"

Colorado Rockies- Curse of the "How can we possibly get quality pitching at this altitude."

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Milwaukee Brewers - Curse of Bud - ' Nuff said.

The only "Curse of Bud" is that the Brewers were the best-run organization in baseball when Bud ran the show. Starting with the day he became Interim Commish, his daughter started running it into the ground.

You mean the Curse of the Ball And Glove - until they bring that logo back, the Brewers will never win another pennant. Just look - bringing it back just part time, they won the Wild Card. :D

OK so now Philly has jumped on the "cursed" bandwagon with the silly "curse of Billy Penn" BS. My mother was Philly born and raised and never heard of such a thing. And My Pop if he was still alive would have said "there is no curse, they just stink", my Pop met my Nanny at an A's game in 1919, she sold programs so the old guy new his baseball.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The "curse" of Billy Penn story has been around for a while, it's not a bandwagon thing. People warned about bad things happening to the city (not necessarily just sports related) when Liberty Property and Trust started building 1LP in '87. We heard about it in junior high, and in high school when they put the big red cap on Penn. The Mitch Williams pitch to Joe Carter was the first time I heard of the curse in a sports context. Since then, the "curse" has reappeared in '95 (Flyers blowing lead to Devils), '97 (Flyers getting shut-out against Det.), and '01 (Sixers.)

It's not like we live every day of our lives talking about it, so maybe your mother just never heard of it - but the notion of the "curse" certainly exists, and has for 20 years. Actually, your mother being "born and bred" in Phila. is really irrelevant, since the "curse" is only 20 years old - unless your mom is realatively young.

EDIT: I just checked your profile and saw that you are 9 years older than me, so yeah - your mom being "born and bred" is pretty irrelevant.

Personally, I don't believe in curses, and I'm not sure that I know anyone else that does either. It's just something fun to joke about and blame your problems on - and that's OK with me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The "curse" of Billy Penn story has been around for a while, it's not a bandwagon thing. People warned about bad things happening to the city (not necessarily just sports related) when Liberty Property and Trust started building 1LP in '87. We heard about it in junior high, and in high school when they put the big red cap on Penn. The Mitch Williams pitch to Joe Carter was the first time I heard of the curse in a sports context. Since then, the "curse" has reappeared in '95 (Flyers blowing lead to Devils), '97 (Flyers getting shut-out against Det.), and '01 (Sixers.)

It's not like we live every day of our lives talking about it, so maybe your mother just never heard of it - but the notion of the "curse" certainly exists, and has for 20 years. Actually, your mother being "born and bred" in Phila. is really irrelevant, since the "curse" is only 20 years old - unless your mom is realatively young.

EDIT: I just checked your profile and saw that you are 9 years older than me, so yeah - your mom being "born and bred" is pretty irrelevant.

Personally, I don't believe in curses, and I'm not sure that I know anyone else that does either. It's just something fun to joke about and blame your problems on - and that's OK with me.

If a team has won a World Series within the last 50 years, they can't claim a curse yet. When it's only been 28 years for the baseball team, not to mention only 25 for the Sixers (the claim is the city's cursed), you need to wait awhile before starting to claim your city deserves sympathy for a curse. For Philly, it's blown up because there are 4 teams and it's been 25 years since the last one. But that is 2 within the last 30 years. More than some cities can say.

New York Mets curse of #1 at the end of the 1988 season the Mets introduced a #1 logo, at that time they were a 100 win team and on the way to the World Series, all they had to do was beat the Dodgers who they were 11-1 against. The #1 was unveiled the Dodgers won in seven the Mets have not had the same magic ever since.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Pittsburgh Pirates

For Drama:

Curse of Sid Bream's Revenge

Pirates get rid of Bream, and the next year he slides home to take the NLCS from the Pirates, and cursing them to never have a winning season from that moment on.

For Reality:

Curse of :censored: ty Management and the "Small Market Syndrome" Myth

Awful owners, GMs, and coaches come in and run into the entire organization into the ground, and blame it on lack of money due to "small market syndrome"... fans left to wonder how the management that cant afford talent can somehow afford bobbleheads, plates, fireworks, live performances, t shirts, mini statues, and more and more useless crap.

Its simple. Amazing Park that we have + Winning Team = $$$ .... Spend money to earn money.

oBIgzrL.png

The Reds troubles can all be traced to my younger sister. She was born the day after the Reds last world championship in 1990 and they haven't reached the world series since. It's been a long running gag in our family.

PvO6ZWJ.png

BTW, with 26 World Championships, including 4 in the last 12 years, I don't think the Yankees can ever qualify for being cursed. Greedy @$$holes? Yes. But not cursed.

I hate it when I hear people say "they haven't won since 2000". This year will make the 7th team since then to win one. That, plus the Yankees means there are 22 other teams who haven't won one since the Yankees last did. Not to mention that the Evil Empire's last one happened to be their 3rd in a row and 4th in 5 seasons. Too much sympathy trying to be created for the team that deserves it the least... Followed closely by the Red Sox.

Philly's gotta find a way to bitch and moan and blow hot air so everyone pays attention to them, even though everyone despises their fan base of savages and criminals.

"Oh, but John, that's only 1/10th of 1 percent of the fans, the rest are fine!"

Smokebombs at the Devils-Flyers game.

Mustard packets being thrown at Rays family members in the stands.

Not to mention the countless other stories that have come out about the Philly fans over the years.

If it's 1/10th of 1 percent, they must all be season ticket holders to every Philadelphia professional sports team. I'd say it's more like 75% to 90% of Philadelphia fans are the type i'm talking about.

Philadelphia deserves nothing, and the only curse they have is the curse of having the worst fans in the country.

</rant>

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

GM Pat Gillick might fit into a Curse for the Jays since he left 2 years after the Jays won back to back WS Titles since then no playoffs

for the jays, he's been to 4 ALCS' with the O's and the M's and the NLDS with the Phillies now there a win away from winning the World Series

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm gonna go way off topic, but I think the Islanders are still dealing with the "Curse of Hurricane Gloria" :P

Back on topic, for the Mets I'd say it might be The Curse of 1988, considering they were heavy favorites to win the WS and ended up losing to the Dodgers in the NLCS

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Well in baseball there were really only 2 "curses" of historical note, the Curse of the Bambino and the Curse of the Billy Goat. And while I think that both are bogus, there is a real history there. While the "curse of Billy Penn" seems so very "Philly" so very "hey we want a curse too!" That is why I made such a post. Hell all teams can claim a "curse". As for pointing out my maternal history it was to show that I have some connection to the city, I still have family there and ComCrap even forces a Philly station on my cable even though I am in the Baltimore/Central PA market. I also remember how big a deal it was when Billy Penn's height was eclipsed. But never in all my visits to family there has any one talked of the "Curse of Billy Penn".

And the White Sox should have been the Curse of Obama, I know I typed it. Anyway this was supposed to be a funny post that can and should be added to. :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well in baseball there were really only 2 "curses" of historical note, the Curse of the Bambino and the Curse of the Billy Goat. And while I think that both are bogus, there is a real history there. While the "curse of Billy Penn" seems so very "Philly" so very "hey we want a curse too!" That is why I made such a post. Hell all teams can claim a "curse". As for pointing out my maternal history it was to show that I have some connection to the city, I still have family there and ComCrap even forces a Philly station on my cable even though I am in the Baltimore/Central PA market. I also remember how big a deal it was when Billy Penn's height was eclipsed. But never in all my visits to family there has any one talked of the "Curse of Billy Penn".

And the White Sox should have been the Curse of Obama, I know I typed it. Anyway this was supposed to be a funny post that can and should be added to. :D

Again, I think the curse of Billy Penn thing is just something that people here have fun with. I don't know anyone who takes it as seriously as the Chicago thing, or the Bambino thing. I can't speak for all Philadelphians, but I don't want anyone thinking about curses (or losers for that matter) when they think about us!

That being said, I thought it was a great idea when they put the little 4" Billy Penn replica statue on the top steel beam of Comcast Center. Hey... it can't hurt!

"Curse" of William Penn

Lifting the "curse"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

San Francisco Giants - Curse of the Clear- Barry and Balco soiled this franchise for a generation.

More like the curse of moving to the west coast. They haven't won a series since moving from New York.

Archived