SI Ranks the NHL's New Third Jerseys

TurnTwo

...and about the SI Ranking. It doesn't make any sense. For example, the reviewer placed the Flyers alts in third place, yet had nothing positive to say about them. She (Ya, it was a girl who did the ranking) just said they looked like "a bunch of pumpkins on ice, and, yeah, the black and orange is a bit Halloweeny". She's allowed to dislike whatever she pleases, but why in the blue hell would you put them in third place if that's your opinion?????? Same thing with the Oilers. Some jerseys ranked in the middle were praised alot more.

Clearly, this person had no idea what she was doing. It shows how un passionate people could be when it comes to hockey. So are there any people over there who are not Football or Basketball fans? The answer is yes. They are called Baseball fans. :P

I've never understood the "pumpkin" comments about orange Flyers jerseys. Sure, pumpkins are orange and all, but it's not like fat guys in some beer league skating around, these are young, fit athletes. But I'm sure anyone would argue that I'm biased since I love the Flyers and think the orange looks great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The orange jerseys they used to wear before they switched to black home jerseys were great. These orange jerseys are terrible, and they were the first time around as well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I've never understood the "pumpkin" comments about orange Flyers jerseys. Sure, pumpkins are orange and all, but it's not like fat guys in some beer league skating around, these are young, fit athletes. But I'm sure anyone would argue that I'm biased since I love the Flyers and think the orange looks great.

Heck, I'm a Penguins fan and I think the orange looks great. The Flyers new jersey just looks so classy, and the white nameplate is just fantastic.

IMO, every team should have a solid color jersey that isn't black or white. I wouldn't mind seeing the Penguins in their old Sunday golds again, but the solid baby blue is great enough as is.

The orange jerseys they used to wear before they switched to black home jerseys were great. These orange jerseys are terrible, and they were the first time around as well.

Thank you. It's like ever since the Flyers made the decision to ditch the old uniform, they've realized their mistake. And so, to placate the fans, they've brought back the orange as an alternate twice now, and both times, it's been in an inferior form.

Or think of it this way: the previous orange primary pretty much fixed everything that was wrong with this throwback back in 1982.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is the first time I've seen some of those in action. I hate the Penguins' thirds. That color is atrocious. I much prefer them in black and gold. In fact, I'm not a fan of any of the retro thirds (besides Buffalo's, if you can call it that). When I heard Ottawa's described, I thought I'd hate it, but it actually looks pretty nice. Better than their crappy red jerseys. If only they'd used a logo instead of a silly nickname (ditto for Tampa Bay). Philadelphia's are awful! The orange is a little too bright and that stupid white name plate is disgustingly bush league. Vancouver's are clearly the worst. The stick-in-rink logo is one of their worst (and that's saying something), and the actual jersey is almost exactly like their regular homes. That last problem is what brings down Boston's otherwise very nice alternate. Also, Atlanta's is absolutely ridiculous. I don't like the trend of putting the players' numbers in place of a crest, and that shoulder logo is way too big.

1. San Jose

2. Ottawa

3. Buffalo (a little busy)

4. Los Angeles (could use a shoulder logo)

5. Carolina (would be #1 if they didn't screw up by putting those black boxes on the jerseys)

Way too little love for the Blackhawks.

Because it's no different from the one they'd been using for years. All opinion on that particular set has been expressed by now.

I don't know why they left off Detroit and Chicago's Winter Classic uniforms. I'm really looking forward to seeing those in action. I hope the Wings add theirs as a full time third.

The Leafs' throwback alts are actually more defining of the team then their cookie cutter regulars are.

Every time I see that Kings' sweater in action I love it even more. Just throw on some purple highlights and it's perfect.

The Habs' white sweater should be their primary road, but they have to replace the vintage "open CH" with the current "closed CH."

Philadelphia's is a mess. A simple orange version of their current home/road set would have been better.

The Islanders, their current set is actually better. This vintage look is better off left in the past.

i don't know how anyone let this go. i'm sorry, the islanders current set is NOT better than the throwbacks. in fact, i'd argue that the current set is arguably worse than the wave-era jerseys. besides the fact that the current set is an embarressing mess of piping, its colors are inaccurate and the crest logos look like they belongs on the front of a starter jersey replica circa 1997. maybe my opinion is skewed because i've sat in the coliseum with 3,000 other people while they tried all of these nonsensical marketing ploys, but the throwback set is FAR superior to the current garbage.

sig2024.png

• 4 weeks later...
The Leafs' throwback alts are actually more defining of the team then their cookie cutter regulars are.

Every time I see that Kings' sweater in action I love it even more. Just throw on some purple highlights and it's perfect.

The Habs' white sweater should be their primary road, but they have to replace the vintage "open CH" with the current "closed CH."

Philadelphia's is a mess. A simple orange version of their current home/road set would have been better.

The Islanders, their current set is actually better. This vintage look is better off left in the past.

i don't know how anyone let this go. i'm sorry, the islanders current set is NOT better than the throwbacks. in fact, i'd argue that the current set is arguably worse than the wave-era jerseys. besides the fact that the current set is an embarressing mess of piping, its colors are inaccurate and the crest logos look like they belongs on the front of a starter jersey replica circa 1997. maybe my opinion is skewed because i've sat in the coliseum with 3,000 other people while they tried all of these nonsensical marketing ploys, but the throwback set is FAR superior to the current garbage.

The logos are the same on both the throwbacks and the current set.

What can I say? I just don't like how the Islanders' throwback sweater utilizes royal and orange. The Oilers' throwbacks barely make it work. With the NYIs it just comes off as unappealing to me.

That said, I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to Islanders uniforms (a minority within a minority more likely), as in I would have them using the Fisherman and Lighthouse logos again (with a more muted striping pattern though).

I know i am late on this. I just saw the kings the other night wearing their third jersey. And i have to say i really like them.

I'm with you. I love the Kings' new alt.

1- St. Louis - full marks for looking retro without being a straight copy of an old jersey. Easily the nicest new one of the year.

2- Boston - I like this one for the most part, but it would have been improved with waist stripes. Normally I'd suggest yellow shoulders as well, but they already have those on the home blacks, so not having them does help separate them.

3 - Montreal - Nothing new here. Can't be improved on I guess.

4 - Chicago - Nothing new here. Can't be improved on I guess.

5 - Toronto - Nothing new here. Can't be improved on I guess.

6 - Edmonton - Yep. That's the Gretzky jersey. Pretty classic, but not much of a risk either.

7 - Senators - I actually like a lot about this one, but I will admit that I love red, black and white. A different choice for the main SENS crest would have been better, but it's got waist stripes and a lot more color than the Sharks. I'm not sure "SENATORS" spelled out diagonally would look too retro with such a modern jersey under it or if the Senator head logo would have been better, so why not try the current "O" shoulder logo and see how that files? Either way, I don't really hate this one like I probably should.

8 - Philadelphia - It's better than the previous orange third with the metallic logo and stupid, stupid arm stripes. Points for going back to a jersey with so many quirks, like the off-color nameplates.

9 - Pittsburgh - This is the Winter Classic jersey from last year. I know that was popular, but didn't you sell as many of those that you were going to already? Something different to preserve the uniqueness of the Winter Classic jersey would have been preferred.

10 - Buffalo - points for simply not copying the original jerseys, but points lost for random chest piping for no reason.

11 - Phoenix - I like they came up with a new logo just for this one. It's not as iconic as the regular head logo though. From any sort of distance it just looks like a red stripe. Loses points for having three different logos between the shoulders and chest. Again, too much black. colored shoulders would have helped since the vertically striped sides won't allow for a waist stripe.

12 - Atlanta - Again, I'm in the minority in my overall positive response to this one. I love the dark red color. Other than Phoenix and Colorado's burgundy, there's nothing like it in the NHL and their particular shade is my favorite of the three. I also actually like the bird head shoulder logos. They remind me of the NFL Chargers lighting bolt stripes. The front? Well a larger wordmark might have been better, but the primary logo really would have been the way to go and the white panels on the arms are about 3 or 4 times too big, but overall, I surprisingly give it a passing grade.

13 - Sharks - Yea, that's black all right. Like the Bruins, I'd like it better if it had a waist stripe.

14 - Carolina - I have a real problem with the greyed out shoulder logos and bottom flag striping. Those squares are not cute little visual elements you can swap colors with. Those are supposed to be hurricane warning flags and need to stay black and RED.

15 - Vancouver - Stuck in a rut with this one. New shoulder logos can't save the rest of this one.

16 - Islanders - It's not 1980 anymore. I am so sick of this jersey coming back over and over. Can't you at least TRY something new like St. Louis that looks older, but isnt' the same old Mike Bossy jersey just once? Yea. Fine. You won a bunch of Cups in this, but you've also beaten the damn thing to death. Had you just stuck with it all along, you'd be wearing a "classic" like the Yankees or Devils, but you keep coming up with these modern abominations that fail and keep going back to this one over and over again. Make it your permanent primary and stop screwing around with it. It's your fate and everyone can see it but you.

17 - Tampa Bay - Pretty generic. I like the blue color, but not much else.

18 - Los Angeles - Too colorless for me. No shoulder logos, the arms could have been purple. A beer league jersey at best.

19 - Dallas - Pointless and uninspired. A chance to make up for the current home and roads completely thrown away.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived