Hidden meanings in logos

nyiles39

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Buffalo Sabres logo, the eye is a ying-yang. Why? I have no idea for sure but I always thought it was a nod to

the parent company HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company), which had owned what was once Marine Midland Bank and was the first name of the arena.

Personally I always thought the switch to the black and red was because of the HSBC tie-in and their corporate colors, just not as blatant as Orca Bay entertainment.

Most people think the red/black switch was because of the Regis family and Adelphia cable, but that happened long after the

team went to black/red and was mere coincidence.

this is an extreme close-up of the vector art:

2630376720103761653S425x425Q85.jpg

I own one of those jerseys and I've never noticed the ying yang eye, but now I can clearly see it.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

All the 7,356 times I done traveled up and down the New Jersey Turnpike, and I never noticed this before, but I caught it this time:

el13abeth.png

For those who don't know, the Elizabeth Center, in Elizabeth, NJ, is a nice-size shopping complex along the NJTP. If you haven't caught what's hidden in there, it's the exit at which this place can be found along the turnpike.

This is what you call super-clever here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

All the 7,356 times I done traveled up and down the New Jersey Turnpike, and I never noticed this before, but I caught it this time:

el13abeth.png

For those who don't know, the Elizabeth Center, in Elizabeth, NJ, is a nice-size shopping complex along the NJTP. If you haven't caught what's hidden in there, it's the exit at which this place can be found along the turnpike.

The Rexplex

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

The old Buffalo Sabres logo, the eye is a ying-yang. Why? I have no idea for sure but I always thought it was a nod to

the parent company HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company), which had owned what was once Marine Midland Bank and was the first name of the arena.

Personally I always thought the switch to the black and red was because of the HSBC tie-in and their corporate colors, just not as blatant as Orca Bay entertainment.

Most people think the red/black switch was because of the Regis family and Adelphia cable, but that happened long after the

team went to black/red and was mere coincidence.

this is an extreme close-up of the vector art:

2630376720103761653S425x425Q85.jpg

Never noticed that about the eye. Damn it - now I won't be able to miss it.

28.gif

I thought that the negative (black) space inside the (Diamondbacks') A was meant to represent a snake head while the cross bar was representative of a forked tongue.

That'd be pretty goofy - a negative space logo is ruined if you add another, contrasting design element on top of it.

for that logo i always saw that bull as a side profile designed as a c

el13abeth.png

thats bad ass. I could tell that there was something about that logo that hinted at something 'other' but I didn't know the meaning behind it. Very well done. thanks for sharing it!

It's yin-yang, not ying-yang. That is all.

07-ying-yang-twins-082907.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Speaking of triangles...

1.gif

I had a peek at the talk page for the Ducks Wikipedia article. Someone on there mentioned an origin for the triangle (and technically, the sticks too), but with Wikipedia being Wikipedia, it could easily be a load of crap and thus it's not on the article itself:

Unknown to many the intersecting sticks and triangular background are actually a modified upside down version of the greek letters delta and upsilon placed over one another. This symbol is the same design worn by the members of Delta Upsilon which is the greek organization that Michael Eisner (the chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company from 1984 until 2005) belonged to. Delta Upsilons unofficial mascot was the ducks and thus the components and ideas of the Ducks old logo can be traced back to Eisners time in college

In short, it's supposedly an upside-down version of this:

220px-DU_Member_Badge_Motto.svg.png

And as much as I love the Ducks old logo, I'm not sure I'm buying this origin.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• 2 weeks later...

Archived