2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Speaking of winning your division, it looks like the Tigers are well on their way to doing just that. They're up 7-2 on the Twins in the bottom of the 5th. If they win tonight, they could clinch tomorrow afternoon, and even if they don't, they almost certainly will at some point over the weekend.

Oh well, it was a hell of a run while it lasted for my Twins. Now all that's left is one more home series with KC, and then they're finally out of their sorry excuse for a major league ballpark.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just visited the New Yankee Stadium for the first time...$1.2 BILLION DOLLARS? Not impressed for a park at that price.

Concourse has an airport terminal feel to it. As a regular fan and not a club patron you probably don't get to see all the nicer things, but it's just like any other park for the mostpart in the upper deck. I also couldn't get over how their out of town scoreboard only displays 4 games and how they don't have the non-batting teams lineup posted or defensive alignment. I had no idea who was fielding with scrub Royals and backup Yankees coming in after giving the starters a few innings. Little things like that bothered me.

Still nicer than Citi Field though, and maybe the 8th or 9th nicest I've been to. At least when you're in the seats the focus is on the game and they're not trying to get you to go to some playground or arcade or other distraction elsewhere in the park. No gimmicks and stupid nooks and crannies in the outfield.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I just can't figure this out. Why can't two teams from the same division face each other in the Division Series? I don't get that logic. Why should the best team not face the Wild Card team? So they are in your division? And? If they fixed the problem with coin flip, why can't they fix the problem of the best team not facing the Wild Card team. I'm just baffled by it.

So I just visited the New Yankee Stadium for the first time...$1.2 BILLION DOLLARS? Not impressed for a park at that price.

Concourse has an airport terminal feel to it. As a regular fan and not a club patron you probably don't get to see all the nicer things, but it's just like any other park for the mostpart in the upper deck. I also couldn't get over how their out of town scoreboard only displays 4 games and how they don't have the non-batting teams lineup posted or defensive alignment. I had no idea who was fielding with scrub Royals and backup Yankees coming in after giving the starters a few innings. Little things like that bothered me.

Still nicer than Citi Field though, and maybe the 8th or 9th nicest I've been to. At least when you're in the seats the focus is on the game and they're not trying to get you to go to some playground or arcade or other distraction elsewhere in the park. No gimmicks and stupid nooks and crannies in the outfield.

I had much of the same opinion of Yankee Stadium when I went on Saturday, it is very nice and had allot of ambiance, but it lacked a certain charm that Citi Field has. I personally like the outfield play area at Citi, and for children it provides the best distraction not to watch the Mets because of the last month certainly the action at kiddie field has been more entertaining. I also like some of the eating areas at Citi the Upper Deck excuse me Promanade food court with picnic tables.

Yankee Stadium has a nice bleacher are too with the Moheghean Sun lounge and I had a nice Johnny Rocket Burger and it is no doubt a nice stadium, but Citi Field is a ball park and I think the nooks and crannies and itimacy at Citi is the perfect combo for a baseball ballpark. Now if only the honor the Mets past like they honor the Brooklyn Dodgers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I had much of the same opinion of Yankee Stadium when I went on Saturday, it is very nice and had allot of ambiance, but it lacked a certain charm that Citi Field has. I personally like the outfield play area at Citi, and for children it provides the best distraction not to watch the Mets because of the last month certainly the action at kiddie field has been more entertaining. I also like some of the eating areas at Citi the Upper Deck excuse me Promanade food court with picnic tables.

Herbert.JPG

Herbert.JPG

Well watching the grass grow is more exciting then the Mets this year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

On a related note, does anyone else think the champange celebrations are a little overdone in baseball. I'm not trying to single out the Angels cause every team does it. I just don't think winning your division is a big enough accomplishment to be doing it. I think it should be reserved for the LCS and World Series when you've actually won something meaningful.

Winning your division is a meaningful accomplishment.

The only time the champagne celebrations are "too much" are when teams win a Division Series. You aren't champions of anything then....you're just moving onto the next round.

Funny how hockey players won't celebrate unless they win the whole damn thing, yet MLB does everything but throw a parade if your team wins the friggin' Wild Card.

Ok, I'll agree that winning the division is a meaningful accomplishment. What I meant was, not many people are going to remember the division winners/play off teams. There going to remember the championships. That's why I think they should only use champange when you win the whole thing. It's just weird for me to see people celebrating when there is still a long way to go to reach the one championship that matters, the one people will remember.

Congrats Rockies on winning the Wild Card.

Rocktober. That's what their shirts say.

21b00ce469181dec592d59d593d19776-getty-85127723dp013_milwaukee_bre.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Herbert.JPG

Hedley that is an all-timer. Well done sir.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Better than NL WILD CARD CHAMPIONS.

They're not the Wildcard Champions -- they're two games back with three left to play against the Dodgers, so the division is still possible. So while the wildcard is likely, it's not official.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived