New Marlins Ballpark Renderings

marlinfan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Marlins will now spend their 20th season in existence as the Miami Marlins. This kind of irritates me, but I'm glad they got the ballpark done. I will buy up old Florida Marlins merchandise and only use that if I go to a game.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Out of curiosity, why? It's not like having a team named after the state and another team named after a city within that state is unheard of. The Astros and Rangers immediately come to mind and the Angels were the California Angels while there were the LA Dodgers, SF Giants, and SD Padres.

I don't think that "Miami Marlins" is a bad name, but I don't think that they should change their name simply because the Rays happen to play in the same state.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I prefer "Miami Marlins" because it flows better. I like the alliteration, and the nod to Miami's baseball history.

For me, it's not about having a second team in the state - I don't like state names as a rule except in rare cases.

I agree. The city name usually always sounds better than the state unless the city name is cumbersome. The NFL's Colts would sound so much better as the "Indiana Colts" rather than the long "Indianapolis Colts".

PvO6ZWJ.png

Out of curiosity, why? It's not like having a team named after the state and another team named after a city within that state is unheard of. The Astros and Rangers immediately come to mind and the Angels were the California Angels while there were the LA Dodgers, SF Giants, and SD Padres.

I don't think that "Miami Marlins" is a bad name, but I don't think that they should change their name simply because the Rays happen to play in the same state.

Just because it's been done doesn't make it right. I don't have an issue with the "Texas" Rangers (since they are named after the Texas Rangers, and the Dallas Texas Rangers would just be stupid) but the other examples just ain't right.

Personally, I'm not too big on alliteration - and I like the way the name "Florida Marlins" sounds... however, I'm totally in favor of dropping the state designation in favor of the city.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with your point that just because something has been done doesn't make it right. However, it's my opinion that using a regional/state designation is just as good as using a city designation. Is Texas Rangers the exception to your rule because of the "pun" (not the right word, but you get the idea). Should the New England Patriots be called the Boston (Foxboro?) Patriots? Is the use of a regional/state designation dependent on the lack of a secondary team within the same region/state? If so, what happens when a second team comes after?

If the Marlins do change their designation to Miami, that's fine. I'm just of the opinion that the use of "Florida" is also fine.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Bah, politics.

Definitely agree with Neon about it being a mini-SkyDome. Does Miami really need a retractable roof stadium? It seems like an excessive engineering and budget ad on.

The unintentional comedy on display with a public hearing made my Monday. Three hours worth of free speech in action.

Sorry about the loss of The Ann Arbor News, but there was typically more journalistic content within an eddition of The Michigan Daily or Michigan Review.

My question was mostly about the retractable part, a roof makes sense.

The News isn't much of a personal loss, lol. I only get the Sunday version, and that's so I can see the weekly ads and fliers!

I do not think thats the reason why. Dolphin stadium is technically not in Miami proper, so now that the new stadium is actually in Miami proper, using the locale is a good idea for city appeal.

I do not think thats the reason why. Dolphin stadium is technically not in Miami proper, so now that the new stadium is actually in Miami proper, using the locale is a good idea for city appeal.

Plus, changing it helps to get the new ballpark, since it was one of the stipulations in the proposal. After years of trying to get this done, I'd say changing from "Florida" to "Miami" is a small concession compared to the bigger picture.

Plus, changing it helps to get the new ballpark, since it was one of the stipulations in the proposal. After years of trying to get this done, I'd say changing from "Florida" to "Miami" is a small concession compared to the bigger picture.

Speaking of concessions, for all the public money that this team is getting, Jeffrey Loria should offer to personally blow each male taxpayer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And what, take each female taxpayer out for tapas and cocktails?

They each get gang banged by the starting infield.

They always should've been the Miami Marlins. They're the greater Miami area's baseball team. That they share Dolphin Stadium with a team that uses Miami in its name invalidates the "it's not in the city" argument, and they might as well get a jump on the branding and become the Miami Marlins for 2010.

Should the New England Patriots be called the Boston (Foxboro?) Patriots?

Of course they should be the Boston Patriots. They're Boston's NFL team, and play in a suburb of Boston because it's not exactly easy to plunk an NFL facility right in town.

Dan Uggla's errors could really prove costly in this venue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dan Uggla's errors could really prove costly in this venue.

I don't know which one of you it should go to, but there better be a ribbon coming out of this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the Marlins will now spend their 20th season in existence as the Miami Marlins. This kind of irritates me, but I'm glad they got the ballpark done. I will buy up old Florida Marlins merchandise and only use that if I go to a game.

Would you prefer San Antonio Marlins?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Would you prefer San Antonio Marlins?

Montreal Marlins sounds better... but leave the owner in Florida.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Should the New England Patriots be called the Boston (Foxboro?) Patriots?

Of course they should be the Boston Patriots. They're Boston's NFL team, and play in a suburb of Boston because it's not exactly easy to plunk an NFL facility right in town.

Foxboro isn't a suburb of Boston. In fact, it's closer to Providence, RI than it is to Beantown.

Archived