New Marlins Ballpark Renderings

marlinfan

This view almost makes it look like the Hall of Justice from the Super Friends lol

Not so much. I think Mr. Barrish is much closer.

Anyone else thinks that it looks like the alien spaceship from Independence Day?

I happen to like the design. It's nice to see something not look too "retro".

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Admiral" is correct, let's seem them break ground on this because I don't think it is going to occur in the fireseeable future.

Aside from that, it looks like a supersized American Airlines Arena with a Safeco Field style retractable roof. The "development" around the stadium is the funnier part of the drawings. The area around the former Orange Bowl is far from that attractive/inviting.

I was hoping for something with pastel stucco walls, or something Art Deco. This is just a big white thing. It could be anywhere. I agree about finally abandoning Neo-Retro which has run its course, but they should try things that are local and unique. Washington almost got it by going with all the white and glass, but they copped out on the modern curviness of the park by using those typical zig-zaggy high wall/low wall field dimensions that Denver and Philly and so on all have. Isn't there something distinctively Miamian that isn't just a big white thing? There's gotta be.

Remember that one concept for a Rays park that would have, like, Spanish influences and stuff? That was really cool. Would've worked for the Marlins too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's a nice looking park. I think that some modern parks are great even though I love the classical look. I like the glass beyond the outfield fence, should let in some natural light when the roof is closed.

I hate glass beyond the outfield fence, because like Miller Park in Milwaukee, it creates an enclosed environment even when the roof is open. The best solution would be for retractable walls in the outfield so that when the roof is open, the entire park is really "open".

The glass wall will retract like in Houston.

Nothing on the look inside yet. But one of the more interesting features I've seen so far will be the 1,000 standing room only seats. It will really give the ballpark a lively early 20th century crowded atmosphere when the ballpark is sold out.

1997 | 2003

It's a nice looking park. I think that some modern parks are great even though I love the classical look. I like the glass beyond the outfield fence, should let in some natural light when the roof is closed.

I hate glass beyond the outfield fence, because like Miller Park in Milwaukee, it creates an enclosed environment even when the roof is open. The best solution would be for retractable walls in the outfield so that when the roof is open, the entire park is really "open".

I agree, but some light is better than none in my mind. I think retractable walls, while possible, might be too much to ask for with the economy the way it is.

The glass wall will retract like in Houston.

Nothing on the look inside yet. But one of the more interesting features I've seen so far will be the 1,000 standing room only seats. It will really give the ballpark a lively early 20th century crowded atmosphere when the ballpark is sold out.

The panels retract at Miller Park, too. Look at the 2002 Home Run Derby when Sammy Sosa hit one right through the panels under the slide and onto the boardwalk.

Just judging from pictures (having never been there), I gotta say Safeco Field is probably the best looking Retractable Roof Ballpark.

safecomainf.jpg

When the roof is open, it simply looks like a regualr ballpark. Yes the roof is still noticeable, but I'd venture to say less so than most Retrac parks. The outfield seating area looks more like an open air park than any other Retrac park, too. It's not enclosed. Chase Field, Miller Park and Rogers Centre all are enclosed pretty much completely, with Minute Maid Park being kind of in between. Yes, it's enclosed, but with a single high "brick" wall. It's probably closer to the other parks than to Safeco.

Just judging from pictures (having never been there), I gotta say Safeco Field is probably the best looking Retractable Roof Ballpark.

Totally agree. I love how the roof there is basically just a big umbrella, and that the whole thing isn't enclosed. This is the reason why I can't get behind retractable roof stadiums like Miller Park, Lucas Oil, Reliant, etc. Sure, there is some light on the field, but it's still not an open-air atmosphere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

safecomainf.jpg

When the roof is open, it simply looks like a regualr ballpark. Yes the roof is still noticeable, but I'd venture to say less so than most Retrac parks. The outfield seating area looks more like an open air park than any other Retrac park, too. It's not enclosed. Chase Field, Miller Park and Rogers Centre all are enclosed pretty much completely, with Minute Maid Park being kind of in between. Yes, it's enclosed, but with a single high "brick" wall. It's probably closer to the other parks than to Safeco.

I think difference in Safeco and other retractable roof parks is that Safeco is basically just a large pavilion with a roof. Everywhere else is sealed up when the roof is closed and in Seattle the roof is just a cover, but the outside wind can blow thru.

Seattle also doesn't have the oppressive heat that Houston does, or the oppressive cold that Milwaukee does, so they get to be a little more open with their roof.

The panels retract at Miller Park, too. Look at the 2002 Home Run Derby when Sammy Sosa hit one right through the panels under the slide and onto the boardwalk.

I thought they just had blinds that open or close. On that note, Miller Park with the roof closed and the blinds drawn is one grim place to be.

one of the more interesting features I've seen so far will be the 1,000 standing room only seats. It will really give the ballpark a lively early 20th century crowded atmosphere when the ballpark is sold out.

fLOLrida

I thought they just had blinds that open or close. On that note, Miller Park with the roof closed and the blinds drawn is one grim place to be.

It's definitely nicer with everything open, but I like it regardless. It's kind of frustrating in the beginning of the year when they play a whole month of baseball before opening it up; it could be 70 degrees outside and closed up, then it's not too great.

I agree that SafeCo Field is the nicest with regards to the openness of the roof, but I don't get the dislike of Miller Park. When everything is open, it looks fine. The only thing I don't like is the shadows, but it still looks like an open air stadium but with a track above the scoreboard.

miller%20park.jpg

Reverse angle is a little less friendly, as it looks more enclosed:

MillerInterior.jpg

Still, the fan-style roof allows the entire outfield to look open. It's not nearly as bad as some of the other retractable roof stadia out there...

800px-University_of_Phoenix_Stadium_aerial.jpg

:ahem:

Don't knock-o the Pink Taco! Not this week! Not on pantone's watch!

You know what would be great? If Arizona went to the Super Bowl last year, when it was in the Univ. of Phoenix Stadium. :)

I like the Cardinals. I was just knocking their roof.

The glass wall in left field(facing downtown) will slide open, like in Houston. I love the beach idea, that will eliminate that excuse not to come to the ballpark(and it will be a pleasant 70 degrees at this beach in the summertime). Man I cannot wait for the new stadium to open!!!

I love the beach idea, that will eliminate that excuse not to come to the ballpark.

The "I don't really like the Marlins and won't pay to watch them" excuse, however, will continue to be invoked.

I never realized it was that enclosed. Seems rather pointless to even have the opening at all. I'm very very glad that my city didn't build one of these "open only right over the playing field" types of stadiums.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never realized it was that enclosed. Seems rather pointless to even have the opening at all. I'm very very glad that my city didn't build one of these "open only right over the playing field" types of stadiums.

It's actually kind of hard to tell from this pic. We're looking at it from the end, rather than the side.

Archived