2009 NBA Season: The Second Half

TFoA

...aaaaaaaand LeBron James just dropped a double nickel on Milwaukee. Unbelievable.

Have I mentioned I want him in NY? ^_^

I believe David Stern wants that to happen too.

In sadder news Jazz Owner Larry Miller has died

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3922880

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NJTank wrote: I believe David Stern wants that to happen too.

Riiiiiiiight....

So much so that the NBA will be lowering the Salary Cap. With the lower cap it will be hard for NY to offer 2 max contracts! Good Luck. Everyone in NY is waiting around for the 2010/11 season, they might want to come up with an alternate plan.

Honestly, Stern wants the Knicks to get better, he fixed it for them to get Ewing in the first draft lottery, he helped steer Shaq to LA in 1996, and he will help steer LeBron to NY in 2010.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Honestly, Stern wants the Knicks to get better, he fixed it for them to get Ewing in the first draft lottery, he helped steer Shaq to LA in 1996, and he will help steer LeBron to NY in 2010.

why didnt he just fix the draft that year so the knicks could have him

NJTank wrote: I believe David Stern wants that to happen too.

Riiiiiiiight....

So much so that the NBA will be lowering the Salary Cap. With the lower cap it will be hard for NY to offer 2 max contracts! Good Luck. Everyone in NY is waiting around for the 2010/11 season, they might want to come up with an alternate plan.

Ehh... to be quite honest, 2 max contracts was a best-case scenario in my mind. I just want one big name - which I'd say is HIGHLY likely considering the crop of talent available and the Knicks cap situation at that point. The 2nd star would just be icing. You don't exactly need multiple superstars... I'd be fine with having a team constructed like the Cavaliers or Spurs where you build around one guy (LeBron, Duncan).

On top of that, while LeBron is certainly the goal, I'm not (and most NYers) aren't LeBron-or-bust. If we don't grab him, I'll be bummed, but if we were to grab someone like D-Wade or Bosh I'd be perfectly happy. It's almost like the 1996 offseason in a way. The Knicks were rumored to be going after a lot of big names, namely Reggie Miller, and when he resigned with Indiana, the Knicks ended up moving Mason for Larry Johnson and signing Allan Houston and Chris Childs to fill the backcourt - and that turned out just fine, so much so that I remember the backpage headline (I think it was the Daily News or Post) was "JACKPOT!" So for starters, there's a backup plan - Donnie Walsh is too smart to put all his eggs in one basket. You can never have too much cap room - that just means tons of flexibility to obtain players. So if you get LeBron, fantastic. If you don't, you still have any number of possibilities to improve dramatically either by signing a big free agent or by making a trade.

And I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that David Stern is fixing where players wind up. If that was the case, Wade would be a Chicago Bull, Lebron would be a Knick, Carmelo would've been a Piston and the Phoenix Suns would've been NBA champions by now. And about Ewing, get over it people. Look at the stats from the 1984-85 season. The Knicks finished with the third worst record in the league at (24-58) next to the Pacers (22-60) and Warriors (22-60). The way the NBA Lottery is constructed, all three teams have a legit shot at the top 3 picks. If the draft were this year, who would complain it was fixed if the Knicks suddenly jumped from 3 to 1? I mean, the Bulls had a single-digit percentage of reaching the top pick last draft and they wound up at no.1 and taking Derek Rose. Where's the complaints about fixing the draft there? Or when the Blazers jumped up to get Oden instead of Boston? Surely David Stern would rather see Oden in a market like Boston over Portland, right? Not everything is a conspiracy, folks. Stern would be a fool to even attempt to rig things in that manner.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

why didnt he just fix the draft that year so the knicks could have him

The way the lottery is set up now, it's rather difficult to rig it the way it was allegedly rigged for Ewing. Besides, the Knicks had a statistically improbable number of ping pong balls that year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The way the lottery is set up now, it's rather difficult to rig it the way it was allegedly rigged for Ewing. Besides, the Knicks had a statistically improbable number of ping pong balls that year.

There weren't ping-pong balls in 1985, unless that's your point.

I think that was the best format for the lottery. If the objective of the draft lottery is to discourage teams for tanking games to benefit their draft positions, everyone should have an equal shot at getting #1.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that was the best format for the lottery. If the objective of the draft lottery is to discourage teams for tanking games to benefit their draft positions, everyone should have an equal shot at getting #1.

Indeed. It's harder to rig a ping pong draft than the giant envelope draft.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And the Celtics today did the NBA a very good, yet obvious favor: If the Suns run into a team with any sort of good defense, the Suns will lose because they can't stop the other team as well, which is why the Suns never got past the Spurs.

So just have 14 ping-pong balls. The current lottery is so secretive and byzantine that I'm surprised no sportswriter with any sort of clout has stood and said "this whole thing is a steaming pile of dung." Maybe there aren't any sportswriters with any sort of clout. I mean, it's not like the NFL where any objections will be shouted down with "WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT." The NBA might have to listen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just ask John Travolta....

I saw, I came, I left.

Wow... Wade scored 50 but the Magic still get the win.

It looks like Boston and Cleveland are on a MAJOR collision course to meet in the Eastern Conferene Finals. Either team could win. Based on last year's result (and so far this year), the team with Home Court will likely win the Series in 7.

Yeah and before the game, Dwight Howard made a 75 ft shot during warmups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWS0r81LWrs

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

1.8 seconds with no timeouts under their own basket and the clock didn't start on time, but yeah, that's the 5th or 6th game the Sixers lost on the final shot this year. It's sad how bad they are in close games. Just unbelievable.....the ball got knocked away and Harris heaved up the recovery from past half court near the sideline and it still goes in.... <_<

Devin Harris just hit the greatest shot of this NBA season, and it was the game-winning shot. Look for any highlights if you can, it's amazing.

An awesome play! -- and this, is on top of the 30 points he put up against Philly.

You think the Mavericks are regretting the deal that sent Harris to Jersey for 46 year-old Jason Kidd?

6uXNWAo.png

Archived