Sci Fi channel rebranding

risio

I don't care what they call the network, so long as they make another series of "Estate of Panic." But "Syfy" looks like it could be pronounced "Siffy," which sounds like a slang adjective for someone with a social disease. Alternately, "Sy Fy," complete with retro-futuristic font, comes across as a chain of turntable and stereo stores owned by a Jewish gentleman in 1977.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bonnie Hammer is an idiot. A highly paid one, like most, but an idiot all the same.

EDIT- ?If I were texting, this is how I would spell it.? -I fear for our society.

2nd edit, just for :censored: s and giggles: I will admit that I never thought of Professional Wrestling as being Science Fiction.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bonnie Hammer is an idiot. A highly paid one, like most, but an idiot all the same.

EDIT- ?If I were texting, this is how I would spell it.? -I fear for our society.

2nd edit, just for :censored: s and giggles: I will admit that I never thought of Professional Wrestling as being Science Fiction.

Just for clarification, Bonnie Hammer didn't make the texting comment. Dave Howe did. I know you know that, but your edit made it seem like it was coming from her. Nevertheless, your point remains the same. It was a stupid comment. However, I can see some merit in saying "we couldn't own Sci-Fi, but we can own SyFy." One may not agree with that, but should be able to see their logic at least.

downgrade on all fronts.

this quote i love,

?If you ask people their default perceptions of Sci Fi, they list space, aliens and the future,? he added. ?That didn?t capture the full landscape of fantasy entertainment: the paranormal, the supernatural, action and adventure, superheroes.?

um yeah and SyFy does a remarkable job in doing that. Sci Fi is far more clear cutting of what the entertainment is on that channel than SyFy. if a person is randomly glancing at the listings and sees 'syfy', most will not think Sci Fi, they are probably going to think its some indy channel that no one watches. at least when i see 'sci fi', i know i am getting some variety of science fiction. with syfy it sounds like i'm getting some form of syphilis.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

downgrade on all fronts.

this quote i love,

?If you ask people their default perceptions of Sci Fi, they list space, aliens and the future,? he added. ?That didn?t capture the full landscape of fantasy entertainment: the paranormal, the supernatural, action and adventure, superheroes.?

um yeah and SyFy does a remarkable job in doing that. Sci Fi is far more clear cutting of what the entertainment is on that channel than SyFy. if a person is randomly glancing at the listings and sees 'syfy', most will not think Sci Fi, they are probably going to think its some indy channel that no one watches. at least when i see 'sci fi', i know i am getting some variety of science fiction. with syfy it sounds like i'm getting some form of syphilis.

It seems this has become the tip of the iceberg for brand re-imaging- and baby boomer market cleansing/dumbing down!

This rebranding of Sci Fi to SyFy is geared to The Gen Y crowd whose reading skills are not higher than a 5th Grade level!

If this is not infantile, i do not know what is!!! :unsure:

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

SyFy? I would say it sounds like a shortened version of syphilis. It sounds like a backhanded slap by someone walking by and laughing at the nerd with greased back hair, thick glasses, suspenders, high-water pants, the pencil protector, and of course the horribly nerdy nasal/snorting laugh. "Dude, you guys couldn't even catch syphilis if you tried!"

From the people who brought us Mansquito...

I'm glad that I'll never have to watch Sci-Fi again once Battlestar Galatica ends it's run this week. All those bombastic commercials for :censored: I wouldn't watch if I was paid. All the bungling of Doctor Who. All the cancled programs. All the mission slide (airing The Flinstones, reruns of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and wrestling).

Goodbye, Sci-Fi. Say hello to blocked, SyFy.

Archived