Kirk Hinrich: The Hamburglar

TFoA

So here's the deal: The Chicago Bulls run a promotion where if the Bulls score 100 points, everybody in the building gets a free Big Mac. And the thing is, the fans cheer louder for the big macs than they do for the actual game.

Apparently Kirk Hinrich (and the rest of the Bulls since Tyrus Thomas came up to Kirk and whispered something in his ear before he clanked the FT) is sick of that, and decided to stick it to the fans by clanking a FT and feigning a 3 pointer at the end of the game.

It was hilarious. I really hate these whole "If we score 100, free stuff!" A way better thing would be if people got free stuff for holding the OTHER team to LESS than 100. That'd be reason to cheer.

At Raptors games, every ticket holder gets a free slice of Pizza Pizza pizza the next day if the Raptors reach 100 points. And it is true that the fans cheer louder when they crack the century mark than they do at any point during the game.

It gets ridiculous when the Raptors actually suck crap this season. There are times when the team is getting blown out (many times actually...), the fans booing the team in the last couple minutes... then they actually cheer again when they reach 100 points... in a blowout loss. Pathetic, if you ask me.

Wade-sig.png

I guess it's not about winning or losing, it's about giving the fans a free Big Mac.

I know this isn't the first time that kind of schtick has been used. I remember the Mavericks doing this kind of deal as well except it was burritos or something like that if they scored 100 or more.

Everyone gets free Mrs. Winner's biscuits if UNC scores 100 at a home game. It's a hit with the college kids.

Mrs. Winner? We always got Bojangles.

I like it for a college game, because even with a high-scoring team like UNC, it's a fairly rare occurrence. Plus, the 100th point is usually scored by a walk-on, which helps them get some well-deserved cheers. But for the NBA, where teams can routinely score 100 and lose? Pretty dumb.

Wait, this is sorta point-shaving.

No "sorta" about it - that's exactly what it is.

A benign form, to be sure, but still.

Benign, eh? What was the line on the game?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Everyone gets free Mrs. Winner's biscuits if UNC scores 100 at a home game. It's a hit with the college kids.

I like it for a college game, because even with a high-scoring team like UNC, it's a fairly rare occurrence. Plus, the 100th point is usually scored by a walk-on, which helps them get some well-deserved cheers. But for the NBA, where teams can routinely score 100 and lose? Pretty dumb.

What are these 100 point games of which you speak?

/Big Ten fan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

/Big Ten fan.

Haha. My thought exactly.

I don't mind it though.

The only reason the Illini's 38-33 loss to Penn State bothered me was because the Illini played so bad. I loved the defense.

/Big Ten fan.

Haha. My thought exactly.

I don't mind it though.

The only reason the Illini's 38-33 loss to Penn State bothered me was because the Illini played so bad. I loved the defense.

Could be worse. Your football team could have won a game 3-2 this past season.

As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived