MLS Rebrand: DC United

heernumurr

MLS Rebrands by williamrhys

New York City

Arsenal Colorado

Salt Lake City

Houston Wanderers

There's a thread developing the badge for this concept, but I wanted to start a fresh one so as not to go over any old points and to get C&C on the identity as a whole. Anyway, here's the newest installment in my MLS rebrand series. It's been months since the last one but these take a while and I don't have much free time. Decided to try D.C. next simply because I had an idea for a logo. Didn't change the team name this time round, it fits well with a traditional theme and the rest of the teams I've rebranded.

I wanted to simplify the logo and give it more of the feel of teams like Tottenham and Liverpool in the Premier League, and show it doesn't have to be contained within a shield to be a football badge. It's not a huge departure from what they currently use, but I feel it clarifies the whole identity. Also incorporated the DC flag as a nod to the history of football crests being based on those of the team's town.

dclogosheet.png

There were a few things a wanted to address with the kits. Firstly, the return of the three stripes across the chest. This seems to be one of the most iconic parts of DCs identity, and I think it's a shame it had to go with the VW sponsorship. So adidas is now the team's shirt sponsor, and as a result I've decided to get rid of the much despised sleeve stripes. As for the colours, I decided to completely change the look. I'm not sure how iconic the black shirts are (especially when combined with the 3 stripes) but to me black shirts always look like an away or third shirt, not a teams primary. So taking my inspiration from the DC flag, I've gone for mainly white with a little red. Hopefully this is more or as iconic as the black, and if I continue the series they'll be the only team in white home shirts. Wanted to keep the kits simple as a whole, and as with all my concepts the separate parts of each kit are interchangable.

dcsheetkit.png

So what do you think? The C&C on these concepts is always great, and I'd love to know how I've done with this. Til next time!

Will

mlsrebrands.png

Really like the crest, and the kits are top notch..............

BUT - not for DC (the kits, that is). To me, they look too much like their rivals Chicago (red shirt with white stripe on chest, and reverse). From far away, they'd look the exact same. I love the black-white look for DC, and it's kind of a tradition for them. Just substitute the red for black and you've got a winner.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

That's nice stuff. But it's not really DCU without a black home kit. Sure, fourteen seasons is nothing in English terms, but that's a long soccer tradition over in these parts.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I would like to kind of echo some things. Firstly, the crest is beautiful all put together. I'm glad you went with the implied line on the neck. As for the problem with Chicago, I would guess you were planning on changing their scheme anyway, so that doesn't really matter anymore. Straying away from DCU's history does matter though. I would say construct the kits like you did with the logo. Meaning, mostly Black and White with Red trim. I know NYCFC is Black/White/Red, but I think you can make it work.

Looks good, but I think that the badge should have the three stripes in it, not sure if there was a reason behind the 2 stripes but just to have some continuity with the package I think that 3 would be better.

The 2 stripes were done to represent DC's flag:

flag-dc.jpg

The badge is different but fresh and I like that. The homes/primary jersey HAS to be black. Too much history behind it and like someone said too much like Chicago. It does look nice though...maybe black shorts and call it a third?

I think if you also outline the bird in red it'd be better.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this one was dead, these rebrands have a habit of getting bumped back onto the first page. Cheers for all the great feedback, I'm pleased with how this one turned out in the end.

Ben, I'll definately try LA Galaxy at some point in the future. I never have much time for concepts (check the date on the first NYC rebrand) but I hope to get through the whole league. Though at this rate the MLS is expanding faster than I can keep up. I tend to do whatever team I get an idea for first, but LA would be an interesting one to tackle.

Archived