09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

I think Kadri is a solid pick. The Leafs, for the present, are set on d. I know we are rebuilding and Kadri is a solid player upfront. He's not the biggest guy but he has skill. Im excited about this pick and it seems that the Leafs are finally back on the right path in the draft.

As for the Pronger trade, stupid. Philly got ripped big time. Lupul is a solid 1st/2nd line guy who will score you 25 points, Sbisa is an up and coming rugged dman who is similar to Luke Schenn. 2 first rounders? WOW. Brilliant move for the Ducks.

Im still hoping the Leafs make a move though. I want to see what Burke is made of and see what he can do. He's not the guy to make a move just for the sake of making a move. He's a smart hockey guy who only does what he wants and whats best for the team.

The Leafs are on the right path, we need to stick with the rebuilding plan and keep going.

beLEAF

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why should I care about Schenn until he is wearing a Kings jersey and producing for them?

Because he's going to be a solid NHL player. What kind of fan are you if you dont care about the guys your team drafts? Sure bring up the Jack Johnson example, but how many times does that actually happen?

I care about Kadri, even if he never plays a game for the Leafs Ill always have some sort of emotion toward him and Ill remember that he was drafted by the Leafs.

Also, anyone like what Burke said about Luke Schenn? "Why trade away a guy thats going to be our captain in a few years?" There isnt a better choice to be Captain in Leaf Land. The Leafs will role with 3 or 4 assistants until Schenn hits 20 or 21 and he'll get the C.

beLEAF

I love the Kings' pick only because it pisses off Brian Burke and all those pundants who had Schenn going to Toronto. There ain't anything better than pissing off the most overrated GM in hockey. He's an average GM who got lucky with having a core group of players in Anaheim, otherwise you look at his record and draft picks and he's nothing to write home about.

Believe whatever you want, and it is rather pathetic that you only like a pick because it 'pisses someone off.' We don't need to draft a player in order to get him. Players could always get traded at a later time. We have pieces that LA can use and afford in order to make an actual playoff push this year.

Okay, so you're telling me that I can't like a pick because it pisses someone off? Okay. So why should I like a pick? Because let's be really and I mean really truthful and honest with ourselves here, none of these picks are guaranteed to do anything. I don't care how much scouting you do, it's still a crap shoot. How many players in whatever sport you want to pick were suppose to be something and turned out to be nothing. 1st round draft picks are most times overrated, because if they weren't they'd all be in the Hall of Fame. The stats in most sports and I'll include hockey, probably bear out that half the 1st round picks never play for the team they were drafted by or even in the league they were drafted in. No one knows what these picks will actually do, so I don't jump up and down over an 18 year old holding up a sweater. Who knows if this kid will actually even wear a Kings jersey, so really why should I care about him until he's actually playing for the team and producing? How many people in Carolina were thrilled at Jack Johnson being drafted and did he ever play for them? Nope. The real truth of the matter is draft picks are puzzle pieces and bargaining chips, if used right a drafted player can get you more in return than he alone can give you. Don't fall in love with a guy drafted. 1st round draft picks aren't the most important parts of the puzzle, it's what you do in the later rounds that really makes a team. Go back through history and you can make a pretty good All-Star roster and even a pretty good Stanley Cup team with players drafted below the first round. Hell if you don't believe what I'm saying just look at this year's Hall of Fame inductees and you'll see 2 players are first round draft picks and 2 players were chosen in the 6th round (Brett Hull) and in the 9th round (Luc Robitaille). So why should I care about Schenn until he is wearing a Kings jersey and producing for them?

You like your the because you believe that they will help your team.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Tonight was awesome. Went to the Coliseum for the Islanders Draft Party and the roar of the crowd when we picked Tavares was amazing. The atmosphere was just electric. And best of all, too, I got to meet some Islanders legends. I got Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier to sign my hat, so I was really pumped about that. Now I'm pumped about how good of a first round we had, too.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I'm glad DW didn't try to do anything fancy and just took the best player in Kane. Tomorrow will be big with two 2nd round picks. It could make a huge difference.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

So, looks like the Canucks may have got a steal for the second year in a row.

And what are the Flyers going to do with the salary cap? They have to get rid of someone now that they added Pronger. And do they really think they're going to make a run at a cup with Ray Emery as their goalie?

So, looks like the Canucks may have got a steal for the second year in a row.

And what are the Flyers going to do with the salary cap? They have to get rid of someone now that they added Pronger. And do they really think they're going to make a run at a cup with Ray Emery as their goalie?

Yeah, I mean, that's never happened before.

Also I'd like to take this time to personally thank the Philadelphia Flyers for setting the bar in terms of an all-star player. I'll be happy with half as many first round picks :P

Hi, how are you?

So if Schenn never produces or gets traded, why do I care? Schenn is just another player in... well actually he's not even in the system yet. I've seen too many players in (whatever team you want to place here) system who are highly touted amount to nothing. I live in reality, not in fantasy world here. Until he produces with the big club, he's just a name, and a hopeful. I know what the Kings have in the farm system and when/if they sign Schenn he becomes another player in the farm system that could be used as trade bait to get something else. I didn't sit there and watch Doughty or hope that he made the team this past year. My season wasn't going to be ruined if he didn't make the team and even when he did, he showed that he belonged and that's when I started to care about him. I've seen too many players be good for a couple games and then reality hits and you see they might at best be 4th line players. Let's be realistic, not every team has a scouting staff like the Detroit Red Wings who can pull talent out of their pockets, the rest are going to have failures and epic failures at that. I want reality. Hope is for Chicago Cubs fans who every year hope they won't choke away another chance to get to the World Series. I'm not going to worry about Schenn until he signs. When he does that, I'll keep an eye on him like I do the other players in the system. I have other things in my life to worry about and think about that are more important than some 19 year old that the Kings just drafted.

Today was a great day for the Ducks

First, Ducks GM announces that Scott Niedermayer in fact will be returning to the Ducks for the 2009-10 season before the draft as promised. (Unlike the fiascos we've had the past few years. Down in Duckland, there's comparisons being drawn between Scotty Nieds and Favre... ugh)

Second, Ducks trade Chris Pronger and a throw in prospect for Joffrey Lupul, Sbisa, 2009 #1, 2010 #1, 2010 or 2011 3rd. Once Scotty was coming back, it was a forgone conclusion that Pronger would be dealt, but I was happy with the swiftness it was done. Personally I feel that the Ducks fleeced the Flyers. Pronger only has one year left, and apparently will be asking for a 5 year $6+ million a year contract after this season... Now the Ducks have added some much needed secondary scoring in a proven commodity. Lupul played for the Ducks and was brought up through the system, so all the coaches and front office know exactly what they are getting from Loops. Then the Flyers' #1 from last year to bolster an already great defensive core in the NHL and in the entire organization. The Ducks are bursting at the gills with defensive talent all through the levels. And the trade provides the Ducks some extra cap space to put into resigning our RFAs and the put into the Free Agent market

Third, in the draft itself. The Ducks made some surprising picks at their spots with Hollander and Palmieri, but it was obvious that the scouts and the front office had targeted them that they were set on getting and got them. So I'm happy with that. Not only that but with the extra #1 pick they parlayed that into a later #1 pick and an extra 2nd rounder tomorrow. And with the new history of our new GM Bob Murray, I trust the picks. I don't know much about the picks but knowing that they had targeted someone and got them as well as their track record so far, I trust the picks and hope they pan out.

After Brian Burke left midseason for Toronto, I was admittedly skeptical about how Bob Murray would do as the new GM. But with his work in getting Bobby Ryan up to the NHL after a salary cap mishandling by Burke, and working at the trade deadline to get rid of quality veteran expiring contracts for young guys like Ryan Whitney, James Wisniewski, Petteri Nokelainen, and others as well as draft picks to not only bolster the defense but bring an influx of youth and energy into what was fast becoming a old organization was brilliant. His work of retooling on the fly of the dynamic of the present team and the future of the team was brilliant. And now his handle on Scott Niedermayer and his moves today. I am extremely happy with the work of Bob Murray.

I am truly excited for the rest of the offseason and next season. The Ducks have restocked the cabinet of draft picks and young prospects on the back end and up front. They have made some more cap space. I am excited for the next few days of drafting and possible resignings that will lead up to the Free Agent dealings on Wednesday.

Extremely happy with the day on the whole for the Ducks organization.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

So if Schenn never produces or gets traded, why do I care? Schenn is just another player in... well actually he's not even in the system yet. I've seen too many players in (whatever team you want to place here) system who are highly touted amount to nothing. I live in reality, not in fantasy world here. Until he produces with the big club, he's just a name, and a hopeful. I know what the Kings have in the farm system and when/if they sign Schenn he becomes another player in the farm system that could be used as trade bait to get something else. I didn't sit there and watch Doughty or hope that he made the team this past year. My season wasn't going to be ruined if he didn't make the team and even when he did, he showed that he belonged and that's when I started to care about him. I've seen too many players be good for a couple games and then reality hits and you see they might at best be 4th line players. Let's be realistic, not every team has a scouting staff like the Detroit Red Wings who can pull talent out of their pockets, the rest are going to have failures and epic failures at that. I want reality. Hope is for Chicago Cubs fans who every year hope they won't choke away another chance to get to the World Series. I'm not going to worry about Schenn until he signs. When he does that, I'll keep an eye on him like I do the other players in the system. I have other things in my life to worry about and think about that are more important than some 19 year old that the Kings just drafted.

Regardless of whether they ever amount to anything, it is still rather pathetic that you only like 'this name' because you feel that it pisses off someone else, never mind the potential he brings to make your team better. I'm sure MANY draft pics that were taken pissed off someone else because they did not end up with them. It is the nature of the beast known as the draft.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Disappointed that the Flyers had to give up Luca Sbisa to get Pronger. Also disapointed that this shuts the door on the Bouwmeester move, which was thought (at least around here) to have been a done deal since before the season even ended.

Does anyone who's seen Pronger recently think he has anything left? He's going to sign an extension really soon, so he'll be under contract until he's 38. I haven't seen enough of him recently to judge this move, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews of his recent play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lets hope this time we can keep our up and comming talent. Last time the isles got a batch of good up and comming talent, they were all traded for peanuts. Thankfully milbury isn't in charge anymore, that :censored: set the isles back 10 years. <_<

But i am pleased with getting Tavares. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Jesus Christ. How could no other teams afford that kind of trade?

Sutts has to find a way of dumping salary so I guess this means no Aucoin, Bertuzzi, Cammalleri and possibly trading Langkow or Sarich before July 1. But it looks like the Flames just traded Jim Vandermeer to the Coyotes for get this Brandon Prust.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Disappointed that the Flyers had to give up Luca Sbisa to get Pronger. Also disapointed that this shuts the door on the Bouwmeester move, which was thought (at least around here) to have been a done deal since before the season even ended.

Does anyone who's seen Pronger recently think he has anything left? He's going to sign an extension really soon, so he'll be under contract until he's 38. I haven't seen enough of him recently to judge this move, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews of his recent play.

Pronger has enough left... when he doesn't have to move or skate to someone.

He still uses his length to his advantage and has killer passing vision, still makes some of the best outlet passes I have seen, and still has his monster slapshot.

The only problem I really had with him last season was that he wanted to use his body more than actually using his skill to execute defense, which also led to increased time in the penalty box. He was never the fleetest afoot, but there were several times where it looked like he had cement skates. I affectionately called him "The Tree."

Prongs still has a lot left, but skating still remains his weakness.

I don't know if the real Tavares would reply to all those comments. Or twitter the way he does.

Just look at Shaq.

Exactly. Shaq was a Charlie Villanueva-getting-caught-tweeting-moment away from tweeting during GAMES. It's not within the realm of impossibility for that to happen. :P

I don't know if the real Tavares would reply to all those comments. Or twitter the way he does.

Just look at Shaq.

Exactly. Shaq was a Charlie Villanueva-getting-caught-tweeting-moment away from tweeting during GAMES. It's not within the realm of impossibility for that to happen. :P

Even start hockey plats spend more time on the bench or in the penalty box during a game than basketball players.

The NHL should pick up on this. Penalty box tweets. Star players can tweet in between shifts and have it broadcast during the game...

...Dear God, this is a horrible idea

Jesus Christ. How could no other teams afford that kind of trade?

No one else was crazy enough to give up a roster player and a pick for a player who, apparently, told all 30 teams that he wasn't going to sign with anyone who traded for him before July 1st when he becomes an RFA.

Sutter has four days to prove he's crazy like a fox, by signing Bouwmeester, and not just bat- :censored: insane.

Archived