09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

I agree that AO is the best player, and is also my favorite to watch, but the point is (from what I'm gathering... I don't have numbers to back it up) is that people just don't watch the Caps, and the "casual" fan just doesn't care about AO - maybe because he doesn't have a marketable personality (due to language barrier or something?) The NHL obviously feels that showcasing AO is a good way to promote the game, and showing him off may get them future viewers, but NBC just cares about viewers for that one game, and for whatever reason (market size, fan base, I'm not sure) it looks like they feel that the Flyers give them that boost. Personally, I'd put the Caps in it, but I think NBC's stance is understandable.

Maybe NBC should start showing the Caps a little more on their normal Sunday game of the week this year and start to market Ovechkin more. With his skill level and personality, there is no reason that he can't be one of the highest marketed players. He's the best player in the game, he has a pretty out there personality, and the guy is funny. If they spent a year trying to promote Ovechkin more and showed the Caps on NBC a couple times, it should be a better situation to have the Capitals in the Winter Classic next year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To switch gears away from the Winter Classic...

Apparently Marion Gaborik has bought a house in West Vancouver, leading to rampant speculation that he will be signing with the Canucks on July 1, meaning the Sedins are free to test the FA market.

There is also thought that the Canucks will be going hard after Mike Camalleri and possibly Jay Bouwmeester as well. The Canucks are in serious need of a good puck-moving defenseman, and if they can't get one that's NHL- or Near-NHL-ready in the draft, then look for Gillis to try to make that one happen as well.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

the "casual" fan just doesn't care about AO - maybe because he doesn't have a marketable personality (due to language barrier or something?)

Nobody has a marketable personality in this league because that's just the way they want it. Nobody's allowed to show any sort of charisma or character without taking heat. Ovechkin celebrated a goal and was raked over the coals by Don Cherry and Don Cherry-like types who grumbled on and on about how when they played for the Elk Crap Marauders of the Western Junior B League, nobody would ever show up the opponents or their teammates like that. Sean Avery, a talented player, cracked a joke and got launched out of the goddamn league. I'm resigned to the fact that the other three leagues will actually know how to market their players while the NHL trots out automatons from Saskatoon and Stockholm in perpetuity.

Apparently Marion Gaborik has bought a house in West Vancouver, leading to rampant speculation that he will be signing with the Canucks

Which in turn will lead to rampant speculation that he'll dress for a game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Apparently Marion Gaborik has bought a house in West Vancouver, leading to rampant speculation that he will be signing with the Canucks

Which in turn will lead to rampant speculation that he'll dress for a game.

Oh, he'll dress for a game, but while tying his skates he'll shatter an ankle, rendering him useless until midway through the 2012-13 season, when he'll be better and ready to play for a contract.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You ever hear the story about how Kerry Von Erich accidentally got his headphone cord caught between his shoelaces while lacing his boot? Almost snapped his neck right there. Given that he ended up shooting himself anyway, Death By Walkman would've been a better way to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You ever hear the story about how Kerry Von Erich accidentally got his headphone cord caught between his shoelaces while lacing his boot? Almost snapped his neck right there. Given that he ended up shooting himself anyway, Death By Walkman would've been a better way to go.

Was this the full boot, or the one he had to stuff with newspapers to let him spin to the ring?

There's a "half-a-foot" joke there somewhere, but I really don't want to think of one right now. Instead, I will just say, "one ball on Kruk."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Apparently Marion Gaborik has bought a house in West Vancouver, leading to rampant speculation that he will be signing with the Canucks on July 1, meaning the Sedins are free to test the FA market.

Makes a lot of sense. I bet he wants to reunite with Pavol Demitra. They are both from Slovakia and have been good friends since they were both on the Wild.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I agree that AO is the best player, and is also my favorite to watch, but the point is (from what I'm gathering... I don't have numbers to back it up) is that people just don't watch the Caps, and the "casual" fan just doesn't care about AO - maybe because he doesn't have a marketable personality (due to language barrier or something?) The NHL obviously feels that showcasing AO is a good way to promote the game, and showing him off may get them future viewers, but NBC just cares about viewers for that one game, and for whatever reason (market size, fan base, I'm not sure) it looks like they feel that the Flyers give them that boost. Personally, I'd put the Caps in it, but I think NBC's stance is understandable.

Maybe NBC should start showing the Caps a little more on their normal Sunday game of the week this year and start to market Ovechkin more. With his skill level and personality, there is no reason that he can't be one of the highest marketed players. He's the best player in the game, he has a pretty out there personality, and the guy is funny. If they spent a year trying to promote Ovechkin more and showed the Caps on NBC a couple times, it should be a better situation to have the Capitals in the Winter Classic next year.

Good point. Its a joke that NBC pretty much shows nothing but the Rangers(most boring team in the league)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Contrary to an earlier report, the Flyers were not officially invited to participate in the WC. The NHL is apparently moving forward with their plans sans Philadelphia, so (not that we already didn't figure on this,) it looks like Washington won the final battle with the Flyers for the spot against Boston.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?...&feedID=695

Just reported that the Flyers are once again the front runner, ahead of Washington. The league apparently wants Washington, so they can showcase Ovechkin, but NBC wants the Flyers because they're a much bigger ratings draw, despite the lack of stars.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?...&feedID=704

Flyers "unofficially" told that they're going to be in the Winter Classic vs. the Bruins.

Announcement on July 15.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200906..._at_Fenway.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the "casual" fan just doesn't care about AO - maybe because he doesn't have a marketable personality (due to language barrier or something?)

Nobody has a marketable personality in this league because that's just the way they want it. Nobody's allowed to show any sort of charisma or character without taking heat. Ovechkin celebrated a goal and was raked over the coals by Don Cherry and Don Cherry-like types who grumbled on and on about how when they played for the Elk Crap Marauders of the Western Junior B League, nobody would ever show up the opponents or their teammates like that. Sean Avery, a talented player, cracked a joke and got launched out of the goddamn league. I'm resigned to the fact that the other three leagues will actually know how to market their players while the NHL trots out automatons from Saskatoon and Stockholm in perpetuity.

Gary Bettman hasn't helped either. A contract with ESPN would make the NHL itself more marketable solely because people will at least be notified that the league actually exists. Second, Bettman doesn't seem to be too interested in marketing the game anyway because you will never, ever, see an ad for the Stanley Cup or even the season games unless you watch NBC or Versus. That simply isn't giving the league enough exposure. And Don Cherry is a pompous a-hole

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Contrary to an earlier report, the Flyers were not officially invited to participate in the WC. The NHL is apparently moving forward with their plans sans Philadelphia, so (not that we already didn't figure on this,) it looks like Washington won the final battle with the Flyers for the spot against Boston.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?...&feedID=695

Just reported that the Flyers are once again the front runner, ahead of Washington. The league apparently wants Washington, so they can showcase Ovechkin, but NBC wants the Flyers because they're a much bigger ratings draw, despite the lack of stars.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?...&feedID=704

Flyers "unofficially" told that they're going to be in the Winter Classic vs. the Bruins.

Announcement on July 15.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200906..._at_Fenway.html

Refresh my memory. After the Stanley Cup Finals this year, why does NBC get the final say over the matchup?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A contract with ESPN would make the NHL itself more marketable solely because people will at least be notified that the league actually exists.

That's what the Arena League thought. And that worked out for them... oh.

Bettman doesn't seem to be too interested in marketing the game anyway because you will never, ever, see an ad for the Stanley Cup or even the season games unless you watch NBC or Versus.

I will say that I have read many radio ads for the NHL, as well as for the NFL. I can't speak to the market penetration on those, but at least they're out there.

And Don Cherry is a pompous a-hole

No argument here, but Canadian dopes love him. I consider Joe Morgan to be a domestic equivalent.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's only June and I'm already dying for the schedule to come out so I can circle some dates...

Just watching the news. They said the schedule will be released on 7/15, which is when the PHI @ BOS Winter Classic will be officially confirmed (though they have "anonymous league sources" confirming it already.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Apparently they're targeting Washington at NYR for 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4284883

Wait, so if a playoff series between the two teams doesn't do well for TV ratings; now NBC wants Washington to play against the Rangers at new Yankee Stadium?

:blink: , although it would make a sweet trip home.

The story states that the NHL is eying that matchup for next year, but that may just be a way of spinning their decision to cave to NBC this year. I guess NBC could still squash the NYR-WAS matchup if they wanted to.

Archived