Uniform pet peeves

scarsofthumper

I hate:

when football teams have striping down the side of the jersey and it doesn't match up with the stripes on the pants. Biggest offenders: Buffalo Bills

when Baseball teams have what seems like 7 different uniform options

when the batting helmet doesn't match the on field cap

NHL teams whose home and away uniforms are not even close to resembling each other. Biggest offenders: Atlanta Thrashers, formerly Ottawa

dark numbers outlined in white on a dark colored jersey. Atlanta Braves, looking at you.

more to come later...

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Templates striping patterns.

-College Basketball and Baseball's BP jerseys being the worst offenders. Puma and Adidas in Soccer being a close relative. Whenever I see rival teams in similar looking jerseys it cheapens the rivalry to me.

-Any team but the Yankees wearing pinstripes. I'm not a fan of the team, but I'd let them have pinstripes. They earned the right to be the sole pinstriped team in baseball.

-Arkansas' baseball unis. The shoulder panels are completely unnecessary and they don't even wear gray pants on the road (which is also a pet peeve of mine).

-any team that follows the black alternate trend, especially when it doesn't appear anywhere in other jerseys or logos

-the NBA teams that have tons of alternate jerseys for "special occasions". (e.g. St. Patty's Day, NBA goes green, or "El Heat, Los Bulls")

-Nike's latest "modern" college football designs

-high school and/or college teams that rip off pro teams logos and/or uniforms

I'll surely post more later on.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

And lastly, not that this is really a "uniform" peeve of mine, but a peeve in general: monogram logos that utilize the first letter of the mascot. The Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins immediately some to mind, but the worst offender: the Colorado Rockies. Aren't initials supposed to be for names? You know, like "K.C.", "D.C.", "T.B."--shoot, even "N.E." (New England), or any other locale with a two-part name. IMO, monogram logos should NOT utilize the first letter of the team nickname. But maybe that's just me.

you think the rockies are bad? The Toronto Blue Jays take that to a whole new level. They use the first letter of the second word of their mascot in their main logo.

anyways, my pet peeves:

MLB

• Having 2 identical alternate uniforms, only with the City on one and the Nickname on the other (Houston, Minnesota, Mets before this year)

• Black cleats with teams that have minimal/no black in their identity. The Angels come to mind immediately...

• The lack of high-socks and stirrups

• The overabundance of navy blue as the predominant identity colour.

• The lack of green (1 team), orange (1 team), and brown (0 teams) in identities.

• Stars & Stripes caps should be worn on July 4th only. Not Memorial Day, not the entire July 4th weekend, and not September 11th.

NFL

• Same colour socks as pants

• The aforementioned side panels not matching up with pant stripes.

NHL

• Go back to white at home, dark on the roads

NBA

• Way, way, way too many alternate/throwback/special occasion/latino appreciation uniforms.

And lastly, not that this is really a "uniform" peeve of mine, but a peeve in general: monogram logos that utilize the first letter of the mascot. The Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins immediately some to mind, but the worst offender: the Colorado Rockies. Aren't initials supposed to be for names? You know, like "K.C.", "D.C.", "T.B."--shoot, even "N.E." (New England), or any other locale with a two-part name. IMO, monogram logos should NOT utilize the first letter of the team nickname. But maybe that's just me.

you think the rockies are bad? The Toronto Blue Jays take that to a whole new level. They use the first letter of the second word of their mascot in their main logo.

anyways, my pet peeves:

MLB

? Having 2 identical alternate uniforms, only with the City on one and the Nickname on the other (Houston, Minnesota, Mets before this year)

? Black cleats with teams that have minimal/no black in their identity. The Angels come to mind immediately...

? The lack of high-socks and stirrups

? The overabundance of navy blue as the predominant identity colour.

? The lack of green (1 team), orange (1 team), and brown (0 teams) in identities.

? Stars & Stripes caps should be worn on July 4th only. Not Memorial Day, not the entire July 4th weekend, and not September 11th.

NFL

? Same colour socks as pants

? The aforementioned side panels not matching up with pant stripes.

NHL

? Go back to white at home, dark on the roads

NBA

? Way, way, way too many alternate/throwback/special occasion/latino appreciation uniforms.

Completely disagree with your last baseball, and completely agree 1,000,000,000,000% with your point on the NHL.

when a team with a really long city name "pittsburgh" puts the city name on the away jersey. it makes the letters way to small and crammed

i know it is/was a tradition but change it

angels uni's never said california or anaheim

i mean its not like the spectators arent gonna know where the team is from

edit: i was informed anaheim did use anaheim

and san francisco looks awful waaaaaay to long

when a team with a really long city name "pittsburgh" puts the city name on the away jersey. it makes the letters way to small and crammed

I think Pittsburgh looks great on those jerseys. I don't think it's a really long city name at all. Los Angeles has one more character (if you include the space) and also looks good. 9 or 10 letters if perfectly fine, especially when one of those is an "I".

Had you used San Fransisco as the target of your ire, you may have had a point. Philadelphia would also fall into that category if the Phillies ever adopted those hideous concept jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Pittsburgh looks great on those jerseys. I don't think it's a really long city name at all. Los Angeles has one more character (if you include the space) and also looks good. 9 or 10 letters if perfectly fine, especially when one of those is an "I".

Had you used San Fransisco as the target of your ire, you may have had a point. Philadelphia would also fall into that category if the Phillies ever adopted those hideous concept jerseys.

Also, the Angels actually did wear Anaheim on their road uniforms for a few years.

more:

all grey catcher's gear

when baseball teams wear their alternates more than the actual home or road jersey. Astros and Marlins come to mind as examples

numbers placed on the upper right chest on NHL jerseys

the leotard look in the NFL

PvO6ZWJ.png

1. Teams whose managements lack the courage to insist that players actually wear the team's uniform. I'm looking at you, every team in MLB. If the socks are part of your uniform, then insist that players wear the darn socks. If not, then stop pretending to have socks in your uniform and order all players to wear pants down to their shoes.

2. Games in any sport wherein the opponents wear uniforms that are not highly contrasting. I'm looking at you, tennis, with your everybody-can-wear-white-all-the-time silliness, and you, baseball. And no, black does not contrast with navy blue. Nor does navy blue contrast with royal blue. International soccer gets this right most of the time; every league in every sport needs to empower referees to insist that one team change its shirts if both teams are not different-side-of-the-color-wheel contrasting.

3. Leagues where most teams have red-white-and-blue color schemes. The whole point of uniforms is to make teams look different. Every league should have at least one team with each of these combos: blue/yellow; blue/orange, green/yellow; green/red; red/yellow; black/red, black/orange; blue/green; green/black. Throw in a handful of blue/red; black/white, red/white; and blue/white. Or other combinations, but the point is that red and blue are overdone in several leagues, and pointlessly so. And some sports do even worse and put the two red/black teams in the same division, in which case they'd be better off just all being red, white, and blue.

4. Pretty much the entire NBA.

5. "Alternate" jerseys that consist merely of the regular jersey with a different color of fabric. I'm looking at you, Braves and Red Sox, among others. "Alternate" jerseys should be throwbacks, like the Phillies, or an honestly different jersey, like the Nats. The NHL gets this one right more than any other league.

20082614447.png

The fact that the Big 4 have yet to adopt soccer standard of standard and clash kits. It would look so much better. We no longer use black and white televisions, we have beautiful HD ones.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

1. Any striping on a football uniform that isn't around the sleeve, over the shoulder, running full-length down the side of the pants, or running fully from front to back of the helmet. This means no side panels, shoulder yokes, piping, curlicues, pointy thingies, butt stripes, whatever. Enough already.

2. Monochrome football uniforms. Sole exception: all white.

3. Any baseball uniform that's not white or gray. Period. Anything else looks like beer league softball.

4. Neckwear on baseball players that looks like a bike lock made out of hemp. What the?

Yes, I'm middle-aged.

This is one that I have never been able to figure out. Since the Indians went to more blue and less red in their uniforms the blue in the hats has never matched the blue in their uniforms. I realize that sometimes it's tough to get an exact match when the materials are different but these things aren't even close.

NFL pet peeves: pretty much every "update" or "modernization" ever. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived