Uniform pet peeves

scarsofthumper

I actually thought about this today going to a Northern League game, and it struck me.

My uniform pet peeve is what I like to call the "softball hijinx". When two baseball teams play each other and they both wear their colored alternate jerseys. Today I was at a game between the Gary SouthShore Railcats and the Schaumburg Flyers, and the Flyers wore their dark blue sleeveless jerseys and Gary wore their darkish green alternate jerseys. It just looks like a softball team. I won't even get into the ones where both teams are the same color just different shades (like some of the games Atlanta's been involved in this year, or the Brewers/Cubs games where they both wear their blue alternates and it's a night game)

2IA3b.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Nameplates on pinstripes (I'm looking at you, Twins)

-Unneeded black jerseys (Eagles, Lions, Royals...)

-Baggy baseball uniforms (Manny, CC)

-Half-cut off stripes on football uniforms (49ers, Steelers, and just about every other team)

-something wrong with a logo(the Twins stitches, the Clippers seams or whatever there called, NFL 5 laced ball)

-many many more

RedSox2.pngCeltics.pngVikings.pngBruins.png

BOSTON.png

avatar by crkraider22, signature by crkraider22 and chestnutz

The "biker-shorts" phenomenon that's currently going on in today's NFL.

The "holding onto sleeve stripes for dear life" thing. Prime offender: the Pittsburgh Steelers. Time to retool those things, Steelboyz.

Not that there's anything that I can do about it, but the fever bug that swept through the NBA's western conference several years ago that led to THREE teams "updating their identity" using damn near the EXACT SAME color scheme. Denver gets a pass, as they were first with their baby blue and yellow (and dark blue). The Grizzlies and Jazz just sipped out the same pitcher.

The templating phenomenon of college sports uniforms. Yes, I'm well aware it may simply be a cost-effective alternative for many teams, but still, this paint-by-numbers team uniform template thing has been irking me, as a close observer of athletics aesthetics, for years now (UnderArmour being the chief offender of late in football at least; at least Nike's starting to branch out a little bit by differentiating some of their newer football template designs).

And lastly, not that this is really a "uniform" peeve of mine, but a peeve in general: monogram logos that utilize the first letter of the mascot. The Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins immediately some to mind, but the worst offender: the Colorado Rockies. Aren't initials supposed to be for names? You know, like "K.C.", "D.C.", "T.B."--shoot, even "N.E." (New England), or any other locale with a two-part name. IMO, monogram logos should NOT utilize the first letter of the team nickname. But maybe that's just me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And lastly, not that this is really a "uniform" peeve of mine, but a peeve in general: monogram logos that utilize the first letter of the mascot. The Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins immediately some to mind, but the worst offender: the Colorado Rockies. Aren't initials supposed to be for names? You know, like "K.C.", "D.C.", "T.B."--shoot, even "N.E." (New England), or any other locale with a two-part name. IMO, monogram logos should NOT utilize the first letter of the team nickname. But maybe that's just me.

Meh, used to bother me too, but I've gotten past it because I take the CR to represent the Colorado Rockies as a region rather than as a mascot.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

the new replica MLB unis, the way the logos / NOB / numbers are like a big patch stitched on to the uni, looks so stupid compared to each layer being sewn on which eliminated the unneccesary outline around the logo. i think you guys know what im talking about if youve seen the new replica unis, just ruined them IMO.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Meh, used to bother me too, but I've gotten past it because I take the CR to represent the Colorado Rockies as a region rather than as a mascot.

You just keep telling yourself that...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with a lot of what I've read so far. The black uni for no reason bugs me quite a bit. Then the Texas Tech Red Raiders wearing all black is just dumb, too.

I have a couple more, though. Armpit decoration on the Arizona Cardinals. Why are the white flares there? They add nothing but annoyance.

Lastly, and this puts more unis on the list than one can shake a stick at: Big sponsor logos. Especially bad on soccer unis. The name of the team is not "Toshiba", and the logo style takes over the whole kit. Bad.

You just keep telling yourself that...

I will, thanks! ;)

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

The Rams switching from their all-the-time gold pants to using white at home with a blue/gold/blue stripe at home and then blue pants with thin gold stripes on the road. The gold pants looked the best in my opinion.

The Rams switching from their all-the-time gold pants to using white at home with a blue/gold/blue stripe at home and then blue pants with thin gold stripes on the road. The gold pants looked the best in my opinion.

On a similar, but completely opposite note: stripeless pants in pro football. It's a college thing. You're not Notre Dame, St. Louis, you shouldn't wear plain gold pants.

Most college baseball teams do something that bugs me.

They either add unnecessary piping to jerseys and pants or, even worse, road teams often wear white pants. This isn't little league. A road team should at least wear gray pants.

Mine are all NFL and CFootball issues:

1. The unitard: Jersey-Pants-Socks. Made even worse if there are no pant stripes.

2. Dark socks: Mostly in college. Football socks should be white with a colored top section or stripes. Accountants wear

black socks, not football teams.

3. Shoulder stripes that don't extend to the armpit or under them. Talking to you Colts. Looks horrible. If the jerseys

won't support real shoulder stripes, switch to something else. Look at what the Texans did. That works.

4. Same with sleeve stripes. Although what Pittsburgh or Cleveland do is still better than what you used to see with

some colleges where they had sleeves, but the stripes still only went 50% around them.

5. Jersey side panels/stripes that don't match the pant stripes. The Bills are the prime culprits, Jags had this in the 90's

with a black side panel and teal-gold-black pant stripes.

6. Adding black to a color scheme for no reason other than to sell more replicas. Actually the NY Mets are the worst case

of this, but there are others.

7. actually my #1 peeve---Anything the U. of Oregon does. Steel diamond patterns? sublimated helmet flames?

flourescent yellow? gratuitous black? Who do they have over at nike working on Oregon, a team of stoners or

a class of kindergardeners with colorblindness? As bad as Miami and Maryland have been recently, Oregon is a

pure unadulterated horror show.

1) the color orange

2) most 3rd jerseys

3) in football, the the different color sides, different color shoulders (think Buffalo Bills), and dark jerseys with same color pants. Looks very High Schoolish to me.

Archived