2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

The reason people predict the NFL is the reason the NFL is so successful -- it's perfect for gambling.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm basically parroting Bill Simmons by making that point.

Booooooo!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to think Peter King is off his rocker. SI's annual NFL Preview issue is out and though their own scouting report echoes what everybody else is saying - namely the Saints' offense is great and if the D picks it up to even average, look out - King has the Saints at 7-9 and finishing 3rd in the division. He's sucked down the Falcon kool-aid though, picking them to take the division at 10-6 even though they lost 5 defensive starters, have looked awful on D in the preseason, and did far less in the off-season to shore up their D than the Saints did. Plus the fact the Saints D has shown some results, forcing 9 turnovers and limiting opponents to less than 10 points a game so far (yes, it's preseason but that's better than no results at all).

Now I'm not pretending to be an objective observer here but his take just strikes me as ridiculous. :cursing:

P.S. This is post #2500. Took me 4 years to get there.

Congrats on your post #2500. Peter King has been more worried about hotels, Starbucks consistency and flights for the last 3 years while Jay Glazer gets the scoops by talking to more players and GMs.

That's funny. And you forgot field hockey.

Field hockey was not mentioned because I date a D-1 coach. She is not a lesbian.

Very early thought on the Super Bowl halftime artist: The Black Eyed Peas.

The NFL goes big, and this year, you cannot get any bigger than them in terms of sales or music play.

Plus, who is a "classic" that they can try to make relevant?

I hate polls, therefore I didn't make it one but it could be a good one.

Here's one I didn't see coming.... The Patriots have traded DE Richard Seymour the Oakland Raiders for a first round pick in 2011.

I dont no the thought process behind this move for the raiders, but then again its al davis. this move is basically saying they expect to compete this season and they dont want to build for the future.

glossysig5.png

Chargers LB Merriman arrested for choking his girlfriend, Tila Tequila. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450962

===

Deputies responded about 3:45 a.m. to Merriman's house in Poway, north of San Diego, after a woman called to say she was choked by the player and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave...

===

Apparently what really set her off was that after throwing her down he did the 'lights out' dance... :D

But seriously, if the facts are as reported, Mr. Merriman is going to find out that domestic violence is no laughing matter to either the courts or Roger 'The Hammer' Goodell.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Chargers LB Merriman arrested for choking his girlfriend, Tila Tequila. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450962

===

Deputies responded about 3:45 a.m. to Merriman's house in Poway, north of San Diego, after a woman called to say she was choked by the player and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave...

===

Apparently what really set her off was that after throwing her down he did the 'lights out' dance... :D

But seriously, if the facts are as reported, Mr. Merriman is going to find out that domestic violence is no laughing matter to either the courts or Roger 'The Hammer' Goodell.

Not bad Blue Sky. Not bad at all. Tila Tequila? No :censored:? Anyway, Goodell will make Merriman will sit out a few games, Sports Radio and the sports blogosphere will spend a day or two screeching their mock indignation, this will all be forgotten by week 8, and Merriman will be a hero again. This is The NFL after all. Yawn.

So does this count as our first (of what I am sure will be many) arrest of the regular season? Preseason is over but the regular season doesn't officially start until Thursday. I think we need a ruling. Judges?

BB52Big.jpg

Here's one I didn't see coming.... The Patriots have traded DE Richard Seymour the Oakland Raiders for a first round pick in 2011.

I'm not a huge fan of this trade right now but his contract is coming to an end and patriots probably wouldn't have payed him... but a top 5 pick in 2011 might not be so bad

Hmmm...the Raiders got an aging DE for a pick (no-doubt top 5 considering that Al Davis recently said that it'll take either 2 more Super Bowl wins or death for him to retire) that the Patriots will more-than-likely use wisely. Yeah, the Pats won this deal.

===

===

Not bad Blue Sky. Not bad at all. Tila Tequila? No :censored:? Anyway, Goodell will make Merriman will sit out a few games, Sports Radio and the sports blogosphere will spend a day or two screeching their mock indignation, this will all be forgotten by week 8, and Merriman will be a hero again. This is The NFL after all. Yawn.

So does this count as our first (of what I am sure will be many) arrest of the regular season? Preseason is over but the regular season doesn't officially start until Thursday. I think we need a ruling. Judges?

I did hear that she was drunk, so I wonder what will happen once we know all of the facts.

I just drafted SD as my starting DST in fantasy, so please I hope nothing happens to him

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Don't be so quick here! WTF does this mean for 2009? The D-line was the only strong spot on the defense and even so, it wasn't a surplus. He's getting older, but he is still a wildly productive player and was healthy for 15 games last year, a great sign. I can see where this comes from with the uncertain bargaining agreement future, unlikelihood of re-signing him, freeing up cap space, and the futility of the Raiders, but nothing is guaranteed except that the Patriots are a much worse team now than they were 24 hours ago. I can't see how this makes any sense for Oakland but I don't think the Patriots are clear winners here either. It is thin :censored:ing ice when you further deplete this already-shaky defense.

I did hear that she was drunk, so I wonder what will happen once we know all of the facts.

I just drafted SD as my starting DST in fantasy, so please I hope nothing happens to him

With a name like Tequila? What are the odds?

You're ready for a front office gig in The NFL.

BB52Big.jpg

Don't be so quick here! WTF does this mean for 2009? The D-line was the only strong spot on the defense and even so, it wasn't a surplus. He's getting older, but he is still a wildly productive player and was healthy for 15 games last year, a great sign. I can see where this comes from with the uncertain bargaining agreement future, unlikelihood of re-signing him, freeing up cap space, and the futility of the Raiders, but nothing is guaranteed except that the Patriots are a much worse team now than they were 24 hours ago. I can't see how this makes any sense for Oakland but I don't think the Patriots are clear winners here either. It is thin :censored:ing ice when you further deplete this already-shaky defense.

I don't really get it either, like it should improve the Raiders, but they won't be superbowl, let alone playoff contenders. If that pick is high then they will probably just trade down like heck.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'm not quite sure why the cap would be an issue when it looks like the league may lose it. Probably. What does the NFL want John Shaw to get for them again? I need to know this so I can expect the opposite. Because he sucks like that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived