Texas Longhorn football to wear throwbacks vs A&M

mmejia

Nike has designed a set to honor coach Darrel Royal that will be worn on the road vs A&M on Thanksgiving night. This set blends the past and present and looks amazing, IMO. The number on the helmet is cool for a one game thing, but I would be completely fine with the rest of the uniform being the permanent set. I love the logo shield on the collar along with the hip patch and TEXAS script on the pants.

Picture5.png

Longhorns will wear special, state-of-the-art uniforms in College Station to honor its legendary coach and its four National Championship teams.

July 25, 2009

Texas? football uniforms will benefit from new, state-of-the-art technology while taking on a look that honors the past when the Longhorns travel to College Station on Thanksgiving Night (Thursday, Nov. 26) for their 2009 season finale with Texas A&M. In an effort to honor Darrell Royal?s legendary career and Texas? four National Championship teams, the Longhorns corporate partner Nike has designed an innovative new uniform in a throwback style that will bring together teams from past, present and future. The jersey was unveiled at Royal?s 85th Birthday party at the stadium on Saturday.

The special version of the traditional Longhorn white road uniform will be highlighted by a patch honoring Royal and helmets in the style of Texas? first National Championship team in 1963. The patch, featuring Royal?s initials ?DKR? will be on the players hips while the helmets will include each player?s number above the Longhorn logo. The size of the word ?Texas? on the front of the jersey also has been adjusted slightly to reflect the eras where the jersey numbers were larger and the schools name was not featured on the front.

?I think it?s very fitting that we honor Coach Royal and our four National Championship teams in a game like Texas A&M that has been a special rivalry for so many years,? said Mack Brown. ?It will be a uniform the kids will be proud to wear because they have so much respect for Coach Royal and all of the pride and tradition at Texas. They know when they put on that Longhorn jersey, they are representing something bigger than them and so many that came before them. What?s even more special about this uniform is that it honors the past in its style but is the most state-of-the-art in its materials and design. It?s a jersey that honors the past and represents the present and future.?

The Longhorns will sport the special uniforms in their longest standing rivalry in the State Farm Lone Star Showdown. Texas and Texas A&M have been playing on a yearly basis since 1894 and 2009 will mark the 116th meeting between the two schools.

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame and Longhorn Hall of Honor, Royal is Texas? all-time winningest coach with a 167-47-5 record in 20 years with the Longhorns. He claimed National Championships in 1963, 1969 and 1970 while leading UT to a Top 10 finish 11 times. In 1968, after installing the famed ?wishbone? offense, Royal?s Longhorn squads eventually won 30 straight games and a record six SWC Championships in a row. UT honored its legendary coach by naming its football stadium Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in 1996.

Texas captured its fourth national title in 2005 when the No. 2 Longhorns knocked off No. 1 and two-time defending National Champion USC, 41-38, in the Rose Bowl.

Is there a "Texas" on their ass?

It's on the hip

But those are awesome, beautiful throwbacks bet the Word Texas on the pants I don't like.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Is there a "Texas" on their ass?

It's on the hip

But those are awesome, beautiful throwbacks bet the Word Texas on the pants I don't like.

That's why he put it in quotes, he's talking about the word Texas.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

They're not really throwbacks, DKR's teams (the man the jerseys are allegedly supposed to honor) never had 'TEXAS' on their jerseys.

0111_large.jpg

In fact, one of DKR's more famous quotes was "Hell, no. I'm not going to candy this thing up. These are work clothes." Also, Nike put 'We Are Texas' when it is

hookembuckyvi4.jpg

They're not really throwbacks, DKR's teams (the man the jerseys are allegedly supposed to honor) never had 'TEXAS' on their jerseys.

This really isn't a throwback as much as it is a "tribute" jersey. The TEXAS script on these jerseys is smaller than the current script as a compromise between today's look and the no-script 60's look.

Nice one time uniform.

I thought the university dropped the arrogant "We're Texas" campaign. If they didn't they should.

you mean they aren't being arrogant enough by wearing a tribute/throwback jersey on a road game?

I didn't come up with this Gigem. Sure, at home would have been a better choice but I digress. At least I admit when UT takes itself too seriously. :D

newsig.jpg

This really isn't a throwback as much as it is a "tribute" jersey.

I think that's a good way to describe it.

As for those "We're Texas" commercials, I loved 'em. It was the best university promo I have seen. Walter Cronkite can live on through them.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived