NHL 09-10 Changes

KrazyHorse

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw the Nashville thirds in person today. I am unimpressed. You can barley make out the checkered pattern on the striping when you're standing right in front of it.

Do the socks feature the checkered pattern as well or no? I can't tell in photos.

It looks like they do.

93452717slide1.jpg

93452481slide1.jpg

93452478slide1.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Why do I have a feeling that if you could legitimately make out the checkered pattern on the Nashville third, that people would be complaining how awful it looks?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Possibly, but then it wouldn't be pointless like it is now. I had the sweater right in front of me, and I could barley make out the checkered pattern. Why put something it that you can't even make out if it's right in front of you?

Why do I have a feeling that if you could legitimately make out the checkered pattern on the Nashville third, that people would be complaining how awful it looks?

The entire purpose of this board is to bitch about designs that are new, and fellate the designs that remind people of the 60's and 70's. You've been around long enough to know that this is the case.

*2009-10 Panthers alternates are the exception, not the rule.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If they had a visible checkerboard pattern with, say, yellow and blue, I would actually like it a bit. That they used black and navy, all on a bad ripoff of the Maple Leafs, is just dumb.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Possibly, but then it wouldn't be pointless like it is now. I had the sweater right in front of me, and I could barley make out the checkered pattern. Why put something it that you can't even make out if it's right in front of you?

I like the fact that it's done so subtly. Reminds me of the vertical striping on the Patriots' jerseys. Make them stand out more, and they're the Nashville Checkers. (Which would have been a good name initially, had it not already been taken.)

So yeah, the checkerboards I like, especially since they're also on the socks. The single-layer block font, the shoulder logos, and the "NP" pants logo, however, are dismal. For me, this one's a few small, but incredibly crucial steps away from being a winner.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like the fact that it's done so subtly. Reminds me of the vertical striping on the Patriots' jerseys. Make them stand out more, and they're the Nashville Checkers. (Which would have been a good name initially, had it not already been taken.)

So yeah, the checkerboards I like, especially since they're also on the socks. The single-layer block font, the shoulder logos, and the "NP" pants logo, however, are dismal. For me, this one's a few small, but incredibly crucial steps away from being a winner.

I like the idea of a subtle checker pattern, but they made it to subtle. I'm not asking for it to stand out, just make it a little more noticeable. You can barley see them when you have the sweater in your hands. Just make them stand out a little bit more and its a nice stripe design.

Here is some information from the ever entertaining Howard Berger on next year's NHL jersey changes from his blog on hockeybuzz.com:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berger/Leafs-To-Alter-Game-Jerseys/3/24905

TORONTO (Dec. 13) ? In the interests of marketing, the Maple Leafs will make slight alterations to their Reebok Edge jersey for next season; both the home/blue and road/white uniforms to be modified. When the Edge jerseys were introduced as part of a league-wide initiative with Reebok for the 2007-08 season, horizontal striping near the bottom of the jersey was eliminated for the first time, as was the ?TML? shoulder patch that adorned the uniform since 2000. A league merchandizing source has told me that both will be returned to the Leafs? jersey for 2010-11 ? either a single or double horizontal stripe, and a shoulder patch of origin that has yet to be revealed. The club had a miniature Leafs logo as a shoulder patch from 1992-2000, then the ?TML? design afterward.

The Leafs? third jersey ? a predominantly white replica of the mid-?60s road uniform, with blue shoulder piping and the old-style 35-point maple leaf on the front ? will remain in place, as it is both handsome in appearance and consistently marketable.

Other jersey notes, to this point, for next season:

BUFFALO is doing away with the so-called ?slug? logo on both its home/blue and road/white jerseys, presumably returning, full-time, to the club?s original ?cross-swords? logo, now in use on the throw-back third jersey.

PITTSBURGH will, somewhat unfortunately, retire its baby-blue third jersey ? a replica of the late-?60s/early?70s uniform ? that came into vogue for the New Year?s Day outdoor game at Buffalo?s Ralph Wilson Stadium in 2008. The Penguins will introduce a new third jersey before next season. The baby-blue design, once worn by the likes of Andy Bathgate, Les Binkley, Jean Pronovost, Bob Woytowich and Glen Sather, was among the best throw-back jerseys in the league, but has apparently run its course as a licensing product.

NASHVILLE is said to be making a significant alteration to its original design ? the dark-blue, gold, silver and white uniform it has worn since arriving in the NHL for the 1998-99 season [if the Predators find themselves in another city, the alteration could really be dramatic]. The Preds? third jersey from a few years ago ? a Dijon-mustard color ? was widely ridiculed, but I thought it was rather striking. Details of the club?s new jersey to follow.

PHILADELPHIA is changing its current road/white jersey and will reportedly adopt the design used for the up-coming Outdoor Classic on New Year?s Day, a game against the Boston Bruins at Fenway Park. It is virtually identical to the home uniform worn by the Flyers during their championship seasons in the mid-?70s, with orange piping on the exterior of the arm extending from shoulder to sleeve; large orange numbering on the back [outlined in black], and white-lettered name-plates on a black base.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS are apparently replacing their current white jersey, but no further details are yet available.

Some of this we knew, some we did not. Either way, I'm curious to see how much of this turns out to be true or even accurate... and also whether I should begin to save for another Leafs Pro jersey. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I was hoping the Flyers would adpot the Winter Classic jersey as a full time road jersey. I was also hoping the black nameplate would be a one time thing to separate itself for the special occasion, and that the normal white nameplates/black letters would be restored once the jerseys became full time. We shall see I suppose.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Good news on the Leafs front. Their Edge jerseys really are barren, the current name and number treatment is awkward at best, and the socks look as if a bunch of the stripes which should have been on the jerseys somehow fell down below the players' knees. Hopefully this news means the restoration of style and balance to the set.

You know, something like this:

MapleLeafs36.png

Also, I find it very funny that this columnist thinks those are the same jerseys the Predators have worn since their inception.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Good news on the Leafs front. Their Edge jerseys really are barren, the current name and number treatment is awkward at best, and the socks look as if a bunch of the stripes which should have been on the jerseys somehow fell down below the players' knees. Hopefully this news means the restoration of style and balance to the set.

You know, something like this:

MapleLeafs36.png

That's easily the best "recent" Leafs sweater. I could even live with a return of the TML logo if they left out the silver. Other then adding waist stripes they should also look to going to single layer numbers. Who knows? I may just buy my first Leafs Edge jersey if they do this right.

Good news for Buffalo. The throwback inspired thirds are great, and I think a white version would look really sharp. The only problem I have is the shoulder area. It just looks so plain, like it needs an alternate logo. Maybe keep the B/sabre on as the alternate mark?

Pittsburgh changing is somewhat of a shame (especially now that next year the Panthers' thirds will be "unique"), but I guess it makes sense, as the double blue theme doesn't really go with the current Pens identity. Would a Vegas Gold sweater work? I have a feeling they'll either end up with a second black sweater or a Lemieux Cup era throwback.

Nashville's probably going to adopt their thirds full time and come up with a white version for the road. Just look at their site. There's hardly a trace of the old colour scheme left.

Philadelphia got it mixed up. Rather then going back to their 70's set, they needed to adopt an orange version of a more modern uniform design, say the pre-Edge design. The 70's set just doesn't work. The sleeve yoke being to thin to contain the numbers looks amateurish.

The Islanders are at least standardizing their identity. The throwbacks were to close to their current scheme to really add to the team's identity, yet were different enough to cause something of a minor identity crisis. At least by going full retro they'll have a consistent look.

I've posted my thoughts on the Flyers look before (a long time ago) and I don't really feel like repeating it, so I'll just say that I really hate the sleeves and arms on the Edge jersey, and I hate the black jersey, so I think that the fauxback look will be an improvement... but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it. I really hate the horizontal hem striping, the lack of black, and the contrasting nameplates. I really think they could have adapted their pre-edge look (with an orange home) to the edge template. That look had been around long enough to be considered classic IMO.

As for the Pens, I really hope they come up with some kind of diagonal PITTSBURGH jersey, like the original road jersey that went with the Robo Penguin look (made famous by Snoop Doggy Dogg). I don't care if it's light blue, or if it's in their current colors, but I really think that for some reason PITTSBURGH just looks good when spelled out on a jersey like that. They're the only team other than the Rangers that can really pull this off IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The return of hem stripes for the leafs is a good thing. The whole practice jersey look that came in with many Edge jerseys is something I'd love to see go. If it could take random piping with it, that would be swell, but one thing at a time I guess.

Haven't the oilers also said at one point that the hem stripes will return for them? I'm guessing over the next couple of seasons we're going to see a return to pre-Edge designs for many teams.

Here is some information from the ever entertaining Howard Berger on next year's NHL jersey changes from his blog on hockeybuzz.com:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berger/Leafs-To-Alter-Game-Jerseys/3/24905

TORONTO (Dec. 13) ? In the interests of marketing, the Maple Leafs will make slight alterations to their Reebok Edge jersey for next season; both the home/blue and road/white uniforms to be modified. When the Edge jerseys were introduced as part of a league-wide initiative with Reebok for the 2007-08 season, horizontal striping near the bottom of the jersey was eliminated for the first time, as was the ?TML? shoulder patch that adorned the uniform since 2000. A league merchandizing source has told me that both will be returned to the Leafs? jersey for 2010-11 ? either a single or double horizontal stripe, and a shoulder patch of origin that has yet to be revealed. The club had a miniature Leafs logo as a shoulder patch from 1992-2000, then the ?TML? design afterward.

The Leafs? third jersey ? a predominantly white replica of the mid-?60s road uniform, with blue shoulder piping and the old-style 35-point maple leaf on the front ? will remain in place, as it is both handsome in appearance and consistently marketable.

Other jersey notes, to this point, for next season:

BUFFALO is doing away with the so-called ?slug? logo on both its home/blue and road/white jerseys, presumably returning, full-time, to the club?s original ?cross-swords? logo, now in use on the throw-back third jersey.

PITTSBURGH will, somewhat unfortunately, retire its baby-blue third jersey ? a replica of the late-?60s/early?70s uniform ? that came into vogue for the New Year?s Day outdoor game at Buffalo?s Ralph Wilson Stadium in 2008. The Penguins will introduce a new third jersey before next season. The baby-blue design, once worn by the likes of Andy Bathgate, Les Binkley, Jean Pronovost, Bob Woytowich and Glen Sather, was among the best throw-back jerseys in the league, but has apparently run its course as a licensing product.

NASHVILLE is said to be making a significant alteration to its original design ? the dark-blue, gold, silver and white uniform it has worn since arriving in the NHL for the 1998-99 season [if the Predators find themselves in another city, the alteration could really be dramatic]. The Preds? third jersey from a few years ago ? a Dijon-mustard color ? was widely ridiculed, but I thought it was rather striking. Details of the club?s new jersey to follow.

PHILADELPHIA is changing its current road/white jersey and will reportedly adopt the design used for the up-coming Outdoor Classic on New Year?s Day, a game against the Boston Bruins at Fenway Park. It is virtually identical to the home uniform worn by the Flyers during their championship seasons in the mid-?70s, with orange piping on the exterior of the arm extending from shoulder to sleeve; large orange numbering on the back [outlined in black], and white-lettered name-plates on a black base.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS are apparently replacing their current white jersey, but no further details are yet available.

Some of this we knew, some we did not. Either way, I'm curious to see how much of this turns out to be true or even accurate... and also whether I should begin to save for another Leafs Pro jersey. :P

Leafs- good, should look much better than what they currently have.

Sabres- nothing new, but good news to hear

Pens- too soon to tell IMO

Preds- I am one who dislikes their bland new 3rds, I like the color they currently and have always used.

Flyers- I like their current stuff more than their throwbacks

Islanders- Their throwbacks are growing on me, wouldn't mind a white version.

Oilers are probably going full-on dynasty throwback next year, like the Isles. Good for them!

Except the Islanders aren't wearing their dynasty throwbacks. The throwbacks they have now are from 1973-78, when the only thing the team was successful at was keeping the WHA out of New York.

I'm sure it's been brought up before and I've just forgotten, but I realized today that 2010-11 marks the 20th anniversary of the Penguins' first Cup team. There's your new third, no doubt.

Archived