Baseball Hot Stove

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Wagner signing is insurance just in case both Soriano and Gonzo walk out on them. I think it is a good move because they are not going to be paying him to much and it does address at least one issue the Braves can be facing going into next year. Now let's get a bat!

This Wagner signing is insurance just in case both Soriano and Gonzo walk out on them. I think it is a good move because they are not going to be paying him to much and it does address at least one issue the Braves can be facing going into next year. Now let's get a bat!

Agreed, definitely no guarantee that Gonzo & Soriano are going to stay, so they at least nipped a possible situation when it comes to the closing situation in the bud...and yeah, a bat should definitely be on the horizon. Been hearing rumors that the Braves are in the running for Matt Holliday, but then again, who with money isn't?

Thanks for the pick! (Which could be given right back, sort of, if we sign Gonzalez or Soriano :P)

Wagner was pretty darn good for an old guy coming off surgery. He can still strike guys out at will and he was reliable as far as I'm concerned. Going to the NL will only help.

Anyway, here's my Christmas list for the offseason:

-Re-sign Bay but at no more than four or five years. I like Holliday but honestly I would be scared if a huge commitment was made to him. I wasn't encouraged by last season for him. Bay is hopefully cheaper, and is proven here. I'll take the safe bet.

-If by some crazy circumstance Felix Hernandez becomes available, give up whatever it takes. I believe that he is more valuable than anyone currently on the Red Sox, and probably in the top 3 most valuable players in all of MLB. I would trade any group of farmhands or players necessary.

-Similar for Adrian Gonzalez, but not quite the same. Having a superb power-hitting first baseman is a huge luxury, and in fact we already have one. But him playing first means Mike Lowell is at third. I love you, Mike, but you're a DH now and I can only hope you will gain back the ability to run fully at some point. I wouldn't trade anything for Gonzalez but he is 1-A to Hernandez.

-Do not trade for Roy Halladay. He is an incredible pitcher and would make for a devastating rotation (especially if Clay could somehow not be included in a deal, but that's not likely) if he came. But he's 32 and while that's not old, it's a little bit closer, and this guy is a free agent after next year. Mortgaging the future for a 1-year rental, Frank Wren, is not a good idea. Although if a deal were made I would be lying if I said I wasn't ecstatic at just the return of Halladay, except if Vernon Wells were included.

-Sign Rich Harden, and if that doesn't work, maybe one of Bedard and Sheets. These guys are reclamation projects a large step ahead of Smoltz and Penny. I love Harden, he's young, he's a great pitcher. I think the risk is well worth it for at least one year. Bedard is still a very good pitcher, and Sheets I'm more weary of. But I would love to see one of these guys, especially Harden, in a Sox uniform.

-Sign Aroldis Chapman if possible. Looks like a pretty good talent and he couldn't hurt.

-DO NOT SIGN SCUTARO. I can't see his production keeping up remotely close to last year's, he's old, he's expensive, he's a Type A, he's notworth it. At all. Don't get cornered in, Theo!

-I really don't know what to do about SS besides that. But looks like Jose Iglesias is maturing quickly, so a one-year stopgap like Adam Everett would be great. Astounding defense, low offense, meh, it's okay. Whenever Lowrie isn't hurt he can play, and as we really don't know how long that may be, I just want tracks to be covered at a reasonable price.

-If it comes to the point where Pedroia has to play short, just grab someone like Uggla or Adam Kennedy or DeRosa or Hudson, or trade for someone cheap like Maicer Izturis (as brought up by mlbtraderumors) or splurge for Brandon Phillips (not worth it IMO). As long as defense is at least average and price is cheap, I'm fine with one mediocre-to-below-average-hitting middle infielder to go with Pedroia. Again, there's Lowrie when he's healthy (I still don't like him playing regularly, but he is a serviceable player at least)

-No pricey, overpaid fourth outfielders like Jermaine Dye. If it so happens that this would be for a starting spot, yuck. Xavier Nady, maybe? Mike Cameron? Or just put in Hermida and pray. But any of those guys would be a huge, huge downgrade and devastating weakness if we are not able to at least get Bay back.

-Maybe get a guy like Mike Gonzalez. Yeah, Type A, whatever. I really like this guy and he would just further solidify an already-loaded bullpen. You can never have too much depth.

I seriously doubt either of my first two trade proposals happening, and a Halladay trade looks more and more likely (if the Yankees don't nab him first). That's okay. I feel like Theo is about to go ape :censored: somehow, and I trust him. Just be cautious, and don't fall for guys like Marco Scutaro.

Roy Halladay has set a deadline. If he is not traded before the start of Spring Training no deal will be done and he will finish out his Contract with the Jays.

Bullsh t.

He may not want the distraction, but if the Jays work out a trade that puts him on a first-place team, is he really going to say no? Really? Of course not. This isn't much different than JP Ricciardi's supposed pre-trade-deadline deadline. It's a worthless threat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phils ink Polanco

I've always been a Placido Polanco fan, but is he really that much of an upgrade over Pedro Feliz?

Offensively yes. Defensively no.

I loved him when he was here before, but he was blocking Utley, and refused to move over to third (even though he did play there for them before.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Braves sign RP Takashi "Sammy" Saito to 1 year, $4M dollar deal

So basically, Gonzo & Soriano may have been replaced in the span of two days. Saito is pushing 40 so I'm guessing that he's gone after next year...but as long as he produces this year, who cares? Bullpen looks pretty nice right now.

Also, Cox hints towards future acquisitions:

"Frank and Bruce are working on something else right now giving us a chance to score some more runs."

Pretty obvious that a bat will be coming to the Braves soon...hopefully an OF bat...hopefully a big ol OF bat.

I'm just excited that Wren didn't wait until Spring Break to get into the Hot Stove League. :P

Wren is working it isn't he? I like the way this is shaping up. But it will be all for nothing if they don't land the bat they need. These signings are promising though. I'm happy with the direction this team is going.

Archived