Baseball Hot Stove

njmeadowlanders

The Angels have offered SP Joe Saunders, SS Erick Aybar and CF Peter Bourjos to the Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay, according to the Toronto Sun.

The offer could put the Angels in the driver's seat for Toronto's ace; they have been the most aggressive in negotiations and possess the requisite ammunition to get a deal done. Saunders, 28, was 16-7 with a 4.60 earned run average in 31 starts in 2009. Aybar, who will turn 26 next month, hit .312 with five homers and 58 RBIs in 137 games. Bourjos, 22, is a highly-​regarded speedster. Saunders and Aybar are both three years away from free agency. The story notes that the Blue Jays would likely trade recently-​signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez if they acquired Aybar

That seems like an awful lot to give up from the Angels perspective.

Sweet jesus, Arte. Please don't go through with this. As much as I'd love to have Halladay, it's not worth giving up Saunders or Aybar.

Wait. So you'd rather have an average at best Joe Saunders, Erik Aybar, and some suspect instead of Roy Halladay a proven #1? Think about Halladay, Lackey, Weaver as your 1-3 and Santana as your #4. Izzy is fine at short and Kendrick is fine as second. A fool keeps a movable piece such as Aybar (and he's good) and an average pitcher like Saunders instead of trading them for a proven #1.

Well, the way I look at it is that if Halladay comes to Anaheim, Lackey's contract's gonna be too large to pick up. Santana's not exactly consistent from year-to-year, and I'm still not 100% sold that Kazmir's not burned out at the ripe old age of 26. That basically leaves Halladay and Weaver as one hell of a 1-2 punch. The 5th spot is still up in the air at this point. I really don't want to see Aybar go, either. He was great for most of the year, and with Figgins gone his speed is definitely something I'd like to see back in Anaheim. The one thing that I do like, however, is that the Angels won't go through unless Halladay goes in for an extension. That was one of the reasons I didn't see it as worthwhile. I wouldn't want to lose a young, possibly future elite shortstop and the top pitcher on the team (as far as wins) for a one-year rental.

Maybe Toronto wants Gary Matthews...

That is my fear as well.

I really don't want to lose Aybar. The dude should've won the Gold Glove last year and he is finally getting clutch hits. He's everything I'd want in a shortstop.

If the deal does go through, the Angels still have to push hard for Lackey. Push real hard for Lackey. Then either trade Gary Matthews to some poor sap for a quality infielder and resign Vladdy. Or trade Gary Matthews to some poor sap for a servicable outfielder and go sign a quality infielder. They also needto add a little more to that bullpen. Having Shields come back will be huge too. Jepsen, Shields, and Fuentes on the backend is great, and if they can resign Oliver, doubly awesome. Also with Moseley coming back as well.

With letting Figgy go, the Angels are just banking on Brandon Wood performing a Kendry Morales. A prospect living up to the hype placed on him and replacing a free agent who went big money.

I really don't mind letting Figgy or Vladdy go if the Angels commit to what won them the World Series in 2002. Pitching, Defense, and just enough offense. I think the Halos have the speed game still intact and could add depending on what they get for GMJ or an infielder. If Abreu can contribute like he did, the Angels still have Hunter, Morales, Rivera and Napoli (when he's on) to provide the power in the line-up. Wood is supposed to have this mound of power potential as well. If they resign Lackey and get Halladay, you've got Halladay-Lackey-Weaver-Kazmir-Santana as your rotation.

When I first heard what the Halos were offering, I was a little taken a back, but thinking through it it's not that terrible. We're banking on the "ifs" of resigning Lackey, trading Matthews for someone worthwile, and Wood not being the next Dallas McPherson, but I like that team if the "ifs" come through. If not... well then it'll be a dogfight with Texas and Seattle.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Angels have offered SP Joe Saunders, SS Erick Aybar and CF Peter Bourjos to the Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay, according to the Toronto Sun.

The offer could put the Angels in the driver's seat for Toronto's ace; they have been the most aggressive in negotiations and possess the requisite ammunition to get a deal done. Saunders, 28, was 16-7 with a 4.60 earned run average in 31 starts in 2009. Aybar, who will turn 26 next month, hit .312 with five homers and 58 RBIs in 137 games. Bourjos, 22, is a highly-​regarded speedster. Saunders and Aybar are both three years away from free agency. The story notes that the Blue Jays would likely trade recently-​signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez if they acquired Aybar

That seems like an awful lot to give up from the Angels perspective.

Sweet jesus, Arte. Please don't go through with this. As much as I'd love to have Halladay, it's not worth giving up Saunders or Aybar.

Wait. So you'd rather have an average at best Joe Saunders, Erik Aybar, and some suspect instead of Roy Halladay a proven #1? Think about Halladay, Lackey, Weaver as your 1-3 and Santana as your #4. Izzy is fine at short and Kendrick is fine as second. A fool keeps a movable piece such as Aybar (and he's good) and an average pitcher like Saunders instead of trading them for a proven #1.

Well, the way I look at it is that if Halladay comes to Anaheim, Lackey's contract's gonna be too large to pick up. Santana's not exactly consistent from year-to-year, and I'm still not 100% sold that Kazmir's not burned out at the ripe old age of 26. That basically leaves Halladay and Weaver as one hell of a 1-2 punch. The 5th spot is still up in the air at this point. I really don't want to see Aybar go, either. He was great for most of the year, and with Figgins gone his speed is definitely something I'd like to see back in Anaheim. The one thing that I do like, however, is that the Angels won't go through unless Halladay goes in for an extension. That was one of the reasons I didn't see it as worthwhile. I wouldn't want to lose a young, possibly future elite shortstop and the top pitcher on the team (as far as wins) for a one-year rental.

Maybe Toronto wants Gary Matthews...

That is my fear as well.

I really don't want to lose Aybar. The dude should've won the Gold Glove last year and he is finally getting clutch hits. He's everything I'd want in a shortstop.

If the deal does go through, the Angels still have to push hard for Lackey. Push real hard for Lackey. Then either trade Gary Matthews to some poor sap for a quality infielder and resign Vladdy. Or trade Gary Matthews to some poor sap for a servicable outfielder and go sign a quality infielder. They also needto add a little more to that bullpen. Having Shields come back will be huge too. Jepsen, Shields, and Fuentes on the backend is great, and if they can resign Oliver, doubly awesome. Also with Moseley coming back as well.

With letting Figgy go, the Angels are just banking on Brandon Wood performing a Kendry Morales. A prospect living up to the hype placed on him and replacing a free agent who went big money.

I really don't mind letting Figgy or Vladdy go if the Angels commit to what won them the World Series in 2002. Pitching, Defense, and just enough offense. I think the Halos have the speed game still intact and could add depending on what they get for GMJ or an infielder. If Abreu can contribute like he did, the Angels still have Hunter, Morales, Rivera and Napoli (when he's on) to provide the power in the line-up. Wood is supposed to have this mound of power potential as well. If they resign Lackey and get Halladay, you've got Halladay-Lackey-Weaver-Kazmir-Santana as your rotation.

When I first heard what the Halos were offering, I was a little taken a back, but thinking through it it's not that terrible. We're banking on the "ifs" of resigning Lackey, trading Matthews for someone worthwile, and Wood not being the next Dallas McPherson, but I like that team if the "ifs" come through. If not... well then it'll be a dogfight with Texas and Seattle.

I honestly hope they don't even attempt to bring Vladdy back. I like Vlad a lot, but he'll eat up a lot of salary that can be spent elsewhere on someone(s) who might play a full season and can actually run. Plus, I don't see a place to put Vlad, other than the Gary Matthews position, sitting on the bench and eating up salary. The DH role is probably penciled in to Napoli, with Abreu starting everyday in right (shudders). Jason Bay could change all of that, but signing him seems like somewhat of a long shot, especially if Halladay comes to Anaheim or even if Lackey comes back. Mathis showed some bright spots in the playoffs, which we can only pray will carry over. At the same position, there's always Bobby Wilson to consider, and maybe 2010 will be the arrival of Hank Conger to the bigs. It's be nice if Matthews could be paired up with a catcher prospect to get someone, anyone really, so long as Gary MattHGHews is gone.

That last thing is the problem though - they're not trading those prospects. If Jesus himself was playing for Toronto and asked for a trade to Philadelphia, the Phillies wouldn't trade Drabek or Domonic Brown for him. And he's freaking Jesus. They might trade Happ and Michael Taylor, but even that's a long shot, because they love Happ so much. The good thing is that they gave up nobody significant for Lee, so they at least have those other chips on the table.

Well, Jesus can't hit a curveball, you know...

That last thing is the problem though - they're not trading those prospects. If Jesus himself was playing for Toronto and asked for a trade to Philadelphia, the Phillies wouldn't trade Drabek or Domonic Brown for him. And he's freaking Jesus. They might trade Happ and Michael Taylor, but even that's a long shot, because they love Happ so much. The good thing is that they gave up nobody significant for Lee, so they at least have those other chips on the table.

Maybe not, but I heard he can build a mean hotrod.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe not, but I heard he can build a mean hotrod.

Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill....

webb coming back, granderson with the yankees and a possible lackey red sox signing. my fantasy team will look a little better this year.

So do you always post from a touch screen phone?

until I get my laptop fixed, yes right now this is the only way of posting on the boards. gramer mus not bi all mus dat der.

webb coming back, granderson with the yankees and a possible lackey red sox signing. my fantasy team will look a little better this year.

Nobody cares about your fantasy team. :P

I just love saying that!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

@ least hes not uzn txt spk

6uXNWAo.png

@ least hes not uzn txt spk

dood txt spk iz da fewchr ne1 tht iz kewl duz it

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Not sure if this is common knowledge yet, but this is from SI's Jon Heyman on Twitter:

3-way trade agreed to with halladay going to phils, cliff lee to mariners. phils trying to lock up roy now.

And welcome to Boston, Jon Lackey!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well it was going to happen eventually this winter and it is sad to see Doc go, but I'd love to see him win a World Series even though I can't stand the Phillies.

I hope the Jays receive something along the lines of Michael Saunders, Dustin Ackley, J.A. Happ, and someone else in return.

8prlQWA.png

I was hoping he was going to go the Angels so the Jays can get at least something of use to the team right now. Seattle is also involved in the deal and it suspected that Cliff Lee is heading to Seattle.

Anyways Roy will be missed and at least he's going somewhere where he has a chance to win and that's all that matters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4742072

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived