Baseball Hot Stove

njmeadowlanders

Anyway, the biggest news for the Orioles is that they are very interested in Kevin Millwood. I'd like the move as long as we didn't give up too much.

Baltimore Sun: Millwood to Orioles

So the trade is supposed to be Millwood and Cash to the O's, Chris Ray to the Rangers. I'm definitely all for this trade. Chris Ray hasn't been the same since returning from injury. But even if he returns to form it shouldn't hurt the Orioles.

So, as an O's fan...THIS is what I'm supposed to be excited about? Yay. Let's get ready for another 90 loss season, Charm City!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports a trade is nearly complete (pending a physical) that would send Braves RP Rafael Soriano to Tampa Bay for RP Jesse Chavez.

Tampa Bay gets a closer, & Atlanta gets a middle reliever at best, and some money off the books (assuming they don't have to eat some of Raffy's contract). Pretty obvious now that Soriano accepted arbitration because his agents didn't want to do the dirty work when it came to negotiating for a contract, & figured that they'd take the sure thing and ask for a trade, which the Braves were willing to do.

Other than missing out on the picks, I'm ok with it.

So apparently the Rangers and Red Sox are discussing a deal that would send Mike Lowell to Texas and catcher Max Ramirez to Boston, so that the Red Sox can go out and bid on Adrian Beltre.

I have mixed feelings about this. Beltre is certainly a big bat and, from what I've been hearing, has played excellent defense these past couple of seasons. However, if this is true, I'm really going to miss Mike Lowell. He's been the consummate professional during his time in Boston and one of my favorite players. Even took a smaller offer to stay with the Sox after the 2007 season. A real 'dirt dog'.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Bad move for Boston, Adrian Beltre seems to be the quintisential underachiever who plays best in contract years only.

Right... one of the reasons why the Phillies (who really needed a 3b) didn't even look his way, and opted to sign and convert a second baseman instead.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Angels have offered SP Joe Saunders, SS Erick Aybar and CF Peter Bourjos to the Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay, according to the Toronto Sun.

The offer could put the Angels in the driver's seat for Toronto's ace; they have been the most aggressive in negotiations and possess the requisite ammunition to get a deal done. Saunders, 28, was 16-7 with a 4.60 earned run average in 31 starts in 2009. Aybar, who will turn 26 next month, hit .312 with five homers and 58 RBIs in 137 games. Bourjos, 22, is a highly-​regarded speedster. Saunders and Aybar are both three years away from free agency. The story notes that the Blue Jays would likely trade recently-​signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez if they acquired Aybar

That seems like an awful lot to give up from the Angels perspective.

Sweet jesus, Arte. Please don't go through with this. As much as I'd love to have Halladay, it's not worth giving up Saunders or Aybar.

Wait. So you'd rather have an average at best Joe Saunders, Erick Aybar, and some suspect instead of Roy Halladay a proven #1? Think about Halladay, Lackey, Weaver as your 1-3 and Santana as your #4. Izzy is fine at short and Kendrick is fine as second. A fool keeps a movable piece such as Aybar (and he's good) and an average pitcher like Saunders instead of trading them for a proven #1.

And hell, picture that rotation with another all-star in Kazmir (who would assume the lefty role), and more stability at the SS position since hopefully the platoon will be over there with Maicer taking over full-time.

Now, all they have to do is target Bay, hopefully find a sucker to take Matthews for relief pitching, and transition Wood to take over at 3B.

VmWIn6B.png

Don't count the Phillies out of the Halladay sweepstakes. They've denied it and downplayed it, but according to some local stories, there may be "secret" talks under way with Toronto, and some in the organization have already begun to discuss what players could be traded in order to clear the payroll room for him (though in reality they could just take on his salary, but I guess they want to maintain at least some structure in the payroll.) The thought would be that Halladay and Lee would basically be auditioning for 2011, since it's likely that they'd only be able to sign one of them long term. It helps that according to at least a couple of reports, not only is Phila on his short list, it's his preferred spot (not sure why, but that's the word on the proverbial street.)

So be surprised, but not completely shocked if they pull something off. I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I've been wrong before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't count the Phillies out of the Halladay sweepstakes.

It helps that according to at least a couple of reports, not only is Phila on his short list, it's his preferred spot (not sure why, but that's the word on the proverbial street.)

So be surprised, but not completely shocked if they pull something off. I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I've been wrong before.

He wants to win, and wants to win now. Back-to-back World Series appearances, with all the key players returning, fits the bill.

I'd rather this happens than any other team. 1) He's out of the AL. 2) I like the Phillies more than any of the other possibilities. In fact if they get Roy, they'd probably become my #2 team. 3) They have better prospects than any of the other "interested" teams.

Well, seems like Lowell is almost officially out of Boston. I'm really hoping that the Red Sox can, out of the blue, pick up Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera. Adrian Beltre is a terrible move. He's had that one great season in 2004 (which he was probably juicing for) and has essentially been on the decline ever since. I know he's got good defense, but all I see is disaster and the potential for a rotating door at third base (see: Red Sox shortstop situation since July 2004).

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Don't count the Phillies out of the Halladay sweepstakes.

It helps that according to at least a couple of reports, not only is Phila on his short list, it's his preferred spot (not sure why, but that's the word on the proverbial street.)

He wants to win, and wants to win now. Back-to-back World Series appearances, with all the key players returning, fits the bill.

I'd rather this happens than any other team. 1) He's out of the AL. 2) I like the Phillies more than any of the other possibilities. In fact if they get Roy, they'd probably become my #2 team. 3) They have better prospects than any of the other "interested" teams.

That last thing is the problem though - they're not trading those prospects. If Jesus himself was playing for Toronto and asked for a trade to Philadelphia, the Phillies wouldn't trade Drabek or Domonic Brown for him. And he's freaking Jesus. They might trade Happ and Michael Taylor, but even that's a long shot, because they love Happ so much. The good thing is that they gave up nobody significant for Lee, so they at least have those other chips on the table.

I don't agree with this approach (provided they get a window to negotiate an extension), because this team is built to win more now. It's great to have these "blue chip" prospects around for 2011, but no matter how well they project, they're still just prospects. You get a chance to get a proven star, and you're as close as the Phils are to winning another championship, you do it.

Shows what I know... apparently the Phillies (despite Ruben Amaro saying that any big trade was "unlikely") have offered Domonic Brown to go along with Happ in a deal for Halladay. The report stated that this is why they haven't been quick to resign Chan Ho Park and / or Scott Eyre, since they don't know what their payroll flexibility will be yet. Also, they'd probably have to have a deal lined up for Blanton if this happens... which means that the number 5 starter will be either Kyle Kendrick (ugh) or possibly Kyle Drabek (though they are notoriously slow at calling people up.)

Anyway, the biggest news for the Orioles is that they are very interested in Kevin Millwood. I'd like the move as long as we didn't give up too much.

Baltimore Sun: Millwood to Orioles

So the trade is supposed to be Millwood and Cash to the O's, Chris Ray to the Rangers. I'm definitely all for this trade. Chris Ray hasn't been the same since returning from injury. But even if he returns to form it shouldn't hurt the Orioles.

So, as an O's fan...THIS is what I'm supposed to be excited about? Yay. Let's get ready for another 90 loss season, Charm City!

If you were expecting a big offseason from the O's than your going to be disappointed. I really didn't expect anything more than a few cheap one year stop gaps and maybe a trade of Luke Scott and/or Jeremy Guthrie for some prospects (if there was even any interest). The future of this team depends mostly on the young core that is already in place. I expect the young guys to improve and that improvement should be seen in the standings. There isn't much of a need to spend this offseason IMO. Especially on any of the guys available.

Well, seems like Lowell is almost officially out of Boston. I'm really hoping that the Red Sox can, out of the blue, pick up Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera. Adrian Beltre is a terrible move. He's had that one great season in 2004 (which he was probably juicing for) and has essentially been on the decline ever since. I know he's got good defense, but all I see is disaster and the potential for a rotating door at third base (see: Red Sox shortstop situation since July 2004).

Well, '04 was a contract year for Beltre, and he's been underwhelming since his stint in Seattle. He was also injured the last two seasons. He belongs in the National League. Can't say I'm gonna miss the guy.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

C'mon Jigga. The O's acquiring Kevin Millwood has me ready to buy season tickets and I live in Ohio. Damn dude, it's Kevin F-ing Millwood for God's sake.

The Angels have offered SP Joe Saunders, SS Erick Aybar and CF Peter Bourjos to the Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay, according to the Toronto Sun.

The offer could put the Angels in the driver's seat for Toronto's ace; they have been the most aggressive in negotiations and possess the requisite ammunition to get a deal done. Saunders, 28, was 16-7 with a 4.60 earned run average in 31 starts in 2009. Aybar, who will turn 26 next month, hit .312 with five homers and 58 RBIs in 137 games. Bourjos, 22, is a highly-​regarded speedster. Saunders and Aybar are both three years away from free agency. The story notes that the Blue Jays would likely trade recently-​signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez if they acquired Aybar

Sweet jesus, Arte. Please don't go through with this. As much as I'd love to have Halladay, it's not worth giving up Saunders or Aybar.

Wait. So you'd rather have an average at best Joe Saunders, Erick Aybar, and some suspect instead of Roy Halladay a proven #1? Think about Halladay, Lackey, Weaver as your 1-3 and Santana as your #4. Izzy is fine at short and Kendrick is fine as second. A fool keeps a movable piece such as Aybar (and he's good) and an average pitcher like Saunders instead of trading them for a proven #1.

And hell, picture that rotation with another all-star in Kazmir (who would assume the lefty role), and more stability at the SS position since hopefully the platoon will be over there with Maicer taking over full-time.

Now, all they have to do is target Bay, hopefully find a sucker to take Matthews for relief pitching, and transition Wood to take over at 3B.

Count me in on everything you just said.

BB52Big.jpg

Pirates sign former Oakland A's SS Bobby Crosby to a one year deal worth a million and around 500K in bonuses. thanks to MLB.com http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091210&content_id=7793592&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

As a Irate Fan I actually liked Cedeno at SS for us last year but who knows maybe Crosby can get it going again, from looking at his stats last year they weren't pretty at all. They Pirates could get some jersey sales going if he wears 87 though lol.

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

Wait. So you'd rather have an average at best Joe Saunders, Erik Aybar, and some suspect instead of Roy Halladay a proven #1? Think about Halladay, Lackey, Weaver as your 1-3 and Santana as your #4. Izzy is fine at short and Kendrick is fine as second. A fool keeps a movable piece such as Aybar (and he's good) and an average pitcher like Saunders instead of trading them for a proven #1.

Well, the way I look at it is that if Halladay comes to Anaheim, Lackey's contract's gonna be too large to pick up. Santana's not exactly consistent from year-to-year, and I'm still not 100% sold that Kazmir's not burned out at the ripe old age of 26. That basically leaves Halladay and Weaver as one hell of a 1-2 punch. The 5th spot is still up in the air at this point. I really don't want to see Aybar go, either. He was great for most of the year, and with Figgins gone his speed is definitely something I'd like to see back in Anaheim. The one thing that I do like, however, is that the Angels won't go through unless Halladay goes in for an extension. That was one of the reasons I didn't see it as worthwhile. I wouldn't want to lose a young, possibly future elite shortstop and the top pitcher on the team (as far as wins) for a one-year rental.

Maybe Toronto wants Gary Matthews...

Archived