Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Surprised that ya'll arent all over this already but the Big XII just told Mizzu and the Huskers the Big Ten that they have till Friday or the 15th or crap, whenever to make up their mind if they will stay in the Big XII or not issue their own set of invitations.

Fixed.

Ultimatums from organizations that have hitherto been less than proactive about ensuring their own survival or addressing member concerns are rather empty.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Surprised that ya'll arent all over this already but the Big XII just told Mizzu and the Huskers the Big Ten that they have till Friday or the 15th or crap, whenever to make up their mind if they will stay in the Big XII or not issue their own set of invitations.

Fixed.

Ultimatums from organizations that have hitherto been less than proactive about ensuring their own survival or addressing member concerns are rather empty.

So true. Dan Bebee (Big XII commissioner) really dropped the ball on this one as it seems that he let the Pac-10 take a look at their books in a effort to get a partnership. Then the Pac-10 thought better of it to rain their top revenue schools and keep all the profits. The "mega-conference" concept was not born in the last six months, so they should have known that they either needed to have a growth plan or be prepared to be raided.

Larry Scott, the Pac-10 commissioner is scheduled to speak with the media at the close of their meetings today. It is reported that they have several proposals to discuss, including replacing Colorado with Baylor (again that thought of pressure from the Texas Legislature).

Fixed.

Absolute agreement. And what makes the Big XII think they can issue those kinds of deadlines at this point? I know that was more directed at the Big Ten than either school, but what happens if the deadline passes, the Big Ten doesn't issue formal invitations (not because it doesn't want either school, but rather it's not ready to offer any other combination of schools and you can't very well expand to 13 at this point, can you?), and Mizzou and/or Nebraska simply say "we can't make a commitment to the Big XII at this point? Does the Big XII kick them out? They probably just say "well, okay. But try and let us know soon, please."

Obligatory elephant-in-the-room question: If all these Big XII schools bolt for the Big Ten and Pac-10, what becomes of the schools that are left behind (Iowa State, Kansas, K-State etc.)? There's not enough of them to form a conference of their own, even if Notre Dame were to join them. Are they just SOL?

CCSLC signature.png

Obligatory elephant-in-the-room question: If all these Big XII schools bolt for the Big Ten and Pac-10, what becomes of the schools that are left behind (Iowa State, Kansas, K-State etc.)? There's not enough of them to form a conference of their own, even if Notre Dame were to join them.

They join what's left of the Big East and become the Big Losers conference.

And no, that's not anything I'm rooting for.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Since Larry Scott received permission from the Pac-10 presidents/chancellors to officially invite teams, here is latest from orangebloods.com's (and former NCAA writer for the Dallas Morning News) Chip Brown.

From his story:

This deadline imposed by the Big 12 presidents and chancellors really pertains to Nebraska. According to sources, Nebraska has shown some willingness to reconsider what once appeared to be a pair of no-looking-back blinders toward the Big Ten.

The sense among the nine Big 12 presidents who are fighting to hold the league together is the conference could survive if Missouri left. But it couldn't survive if Mizzou and Nebraska both bolted.

That's why those schools have been given a hard date to commit to the Big 12. The deadline coincides with a Nebraska Board of Regents meeting in Lincoln on Friday and Saturday of this week.

Make your dinner reservations at Misty's Steakhouse near the Nebraska campus now. It could be crowded as people gather around to possibly take their last look at the Big 12.

All of the nine Big 12 schools trying to hold the league together are hoping Nebraska will commit to its future. But two Big 12 officials told Orangebloods.com, there is a fear Nebraska could hold out because the Big Ten has expressed more interest recently in Nebraska than it has shown in Missouri.

Would the Big Ten be pushed into extending an invitation to Nebraska and Missouri before it wanted? Is Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany ever pushed into doing anything?

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten's plans said he's been told the Big Ten would shut down its expansion at one school if that one school was Notre Dame.

And contrary to reports, Notre Dame is still listening to the Big Ten about possibly joining that league, the athletic director said. Notre Dame's governing board is apparently split down the middle on the decision.

The AD said the Big Ten is focusing solely on Notre Dame right now before addressing Nebraska or Missouri.

The inference was clear: Nebraska had better be sure it has an invitation to the Big Ten by June 15 or it could risk being left out of the Big 12 and Big Ten with no power conference to land in.

While the Baylor or Colorado issue has come to light, those who held legislative power in Texas in 1995 are far different than those who are there today. I am not sure of those 15 public officials who were reported to raise concerns about a private school will not hold a candle to those from when the SWC went away.

In 1995, the following Baylor and Tech grads were in these powerful state positions:

Governor: Ann Richards (Baylor grad) deceased

Lt. Governor: Bob Bullock (Baylor and Tech degrees) deceased

TX Senate Finance Chair: David Sibley (Baylor grad) out of office

TX Senate Pro Tempore: John Montford (Tech grad) out of office

TX House Appropriations Chair: Robert Junell (Tech grad) now a Federal Judge

TX House Speaker: Pete Laney (Tech Grad) out of office

Obligatory elephant-in-the-room question: If all these Big XII schools bolt for the Big Ten and Pac-10, what becomes of the schools that are left behind (Iowa State, Kansas, K-State etc.)? There's not enough of them to form a conference of their own, even if Notre Dame were to join them. Are they just SOL?

The Mountain West could poach survivors. Or Conference USA. Or maybe *hears snickering from Iowa* the MAC.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Y'know, Notre Dame and the MAC could be mutually beneficial at this point.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

IF this does go down and the Pac-10 is forced to take Baylor over Colorado, the Buffaloes would be a mortal lock to join Boise State in the Mountain West. If Baylor does get in, Colorado will be mighty pissed off.

Interesting article by Dan Wetzel over at Yahoo Sports:

Big 12 blew it by eschewing playoff

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

The SEC could use a Kansas to enhance it's basketball prowess....

The Mountain West could poach survivors. Or Conference USA. Or maybe *hears snickering from Iowa* the MAC.

Today, the MWC decided not to expand(at this time). Administrators were given three options: add one, add more than one, or status quo. They choose status quo.

The MWC is just waiting things out. Boise State will eventually be added as the 10th member. No offense to Colorado but I think the Pac-10 should take Baylor instead of the Buffaloes. I know the expansion is all about football but Baylor has a better overall athletic department than Colorado does.

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

Colorado: ":censored: Baylor, :censored: Texas (for a few days), :censored: the Big XII, :censored: Notre Dame preserving the peace, and :censored: Dan Hawkins (on general principle). We're goin to the Pacific Baby!"

Allegedly anyway. A mere 15 legislators can't compensate for a basketball program that is still more noteworthy for one player murdering another, a football team that flat out sucks historically as well as presently, the market size of Waco versus Denver, the comparative research and academic resources of small Baptist school versus large state university that is culturally "West Coast". And you know what's funny about non-revenue sports? They don't generate revenue and are therefore meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

Today, we are all otaku.

Dr. Tom was on with the husker Sports Network earlier today and really did not say much, but here are some quotes and a link to the story.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Tuesday night anything he might say about potential conference realignment would be pure speculation at this point, but added that ?hopefully we?ll get things put together in the next few days.?

While making his monthly radio appearance on the Husker Sports Network with host Lane Grindle, Osborne said ?there?s a lot of information that we really don?t have right now.?

?So as much as I know fans don?t like it, I think we need to put certain things off-limits,? he continued. ?But I think before too long, and I don?t know exactly what that time frame is, we?ll be able to put this thing to bed because I?m getting tired of it, you?re probably getting tired of it, the fans are getting tired of it.?

Media reports have played a big part in the story of conference realignment. Osborne said some of those reports have taken on a life of their own.

?So what has happened more recently in the media, if something is reported, then many times people will cite that as a reference and say, ?Well, it was reported.? And pretty soon maybe you have something built on a house of cards,? Osborne said.

?But having said that, I think the media?s been good, and in most cases, they?ve tried to check their facts. And even though sometimes they guess, sometimes they guess pretty correctly. Anyway, we just aren?t going to add to the confusion until we know for sure.?

Even though there has been no talk about it, I wonder if the SEC has/will talk to any Big 12 schools. I think Texas A&M could be persuadable. Going to the SEC while Texas goes to the Pac 10 would be a great way for Texas A&M to lose the little brother stigma. Who knows, maybe they could snag Oklahoma. I am having a ball with this.

Even though there has been no talk about it, I wonder if the SEC has/will talk to any Big 12 schools. I think Texas A&M could be persuadable. Going to the SEC while Texas goes to the Pac 10 would be a great way for Texas A&M to lose the little brother stigma. Who knows, maybe they could snag Oklahoma. I am having a ball with this.

There has been talk over the last week. Orangebloods.com's Chip Brown has talked about how about both OU amd TAMU have thought about looking towards the SEC as that conference will allow both of them to keep some TV/PPV rights (as LSU does), while if they entered the Pac-10, they would have to forgo PPV telecasts. Texas believes they are 'academically superior" to most SEC schools.

Chip Brown on KRLD (Dallas/Fort Worth) from 6/7/10 This podcast is 9 minutes long.

The columns of Paul Finebaum (whose radio show and callers illustrate that SEC fans think too much about football and could care less about education when they really need to) also indicate that the SEC does not want also-rans and TAMU is thought as an also-ran. Sadly, Paul fails to remember that just Florida, Georgia and Tennessee have made the SEC Title game from the East, like Texas, OU, and TAMU have only made the Big XII title game from the south.

It's probably been covered in one of the many pages of this topic, but again, from a uniforms standpoint, it's sure going to be nice having Nebraska and Wisconsin in the same conference. It's the spring game!

495548.jpgDMH20080927-032_390.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE