Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

6 minutes ago, DuckTownHusker said:

Not quite.

I want to see BC, VT, WVU, etc., all still playing in Big East basketball, baseball, hockey, wrestling, etc.  They can all be members of whatever FBS/Power Conference thing for football, but I want to see the old regional conferences return.   West Virginia in the Big XII?  Cal + Stanford in the ACC?  It all makes no sense.

The current "hoops" version of the Big East is just a collection of random basketball powers.  Schools like Creighton, Georgetown or St. John's who don't also sponsor football.  What I'm talking about is moving schools like WVU, VT, etc., back to the Big East.

Move Nebraska, Mizzou, and Oklahoma back to Big 8 basketball.  Move Texas, A&M, etc., back to the SWC.

Let football be its own thing, and the regional conferences can go back to like 1992 when rivals actually played each other.

Got it. Good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

It's where I sit.

38 minutes ago, DuckTownHusker said:

Not quite.

I want to see BC, VT, WVU, etc., all still playing in Big East basketball, baseball, hockey, wrestling, etc.  They can all be members of whatever FBS/Power Conference thing for football, but I want to see the old regional conferences return.   West Virginia in the Big XII?  Cal + Stanford in the ACC?  It all makes no sense.

The current "hoops" version of the Big East is just a collection of random basketball powers.  Schools like Creighton, Georgetown or St. John's who don't also sponsor football.  What I'm talking about is moving schools like WVU, VT, etc., back to the Big East.

Move Nebraska, Mizzou, and Oklahoma back to Big 8 basketball.  Move Texas, A&M, etc., back to the SWC.

Let football be its own thing, and the regional conferences can go back to like 1992 when rivals actually played each other.

Don't move Mizzou back to the Big 8 (8? Seriously? You wanna go THAT far back in time?🤨) just to fulfill your conference realignment wet dream. We're fine with being in the SEC.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, DuckTownHusker said:

Georgetown and St John's founded the Big East, along with other "random basketball powers" like Providence, Seton, and UConn.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Georgetown and St John's founded the Big East, along with other "random basketball powers" like Providence, Seton, and UConn.

Correct

And until they started adding football teams, it was almost essentially a private school  league (UConn was the only public school member) with the majority of them also being Catholic schools (St. John's, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Boston College and Villanova).

• Like 1

It is what it is.

On 7/30/2024 at 11:49 AM, Germanshepherd said:

The Big 8 made more sense and is way better than everything that came since. Watching Mizzou/K-State and Nebraska/Colorado last year just felt right. 

I still remember chanting "Sit down Norm!" when Missouri came to Hilton Coliseum

• Applause 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:30 PM, McCall said:

Don't move Mizzou back to the Big 8 (8? Seriously? You wanna go THAT far back in time?🤨) just to fulfill your conference realignment wet dream. We're fine with being in the SEC.

I'm glad you enjoy the SEC.  I'm sure the rivalry trophy with South Carolina must be a lot better than playing 100-year rivals like  Kansas and Nebraska annually.

Also, you're literally arguing against hypothetical college football realignments on a board that talks about... hypothetical college football realignments.  Sorry for wanting to live in a world with annual Pitt-WVU, Missouri-Kansas, or Nebraska-Oklahoma games.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, DuckTownHusker said:

I'm glad you enjoy the SEC.  I'm sure the rivalry trophy with South Carolina must be a lot better than playing 100-year rivals like  Kansas and Nebraska annually.

Also, you're literally arguing against hypothetical college football realignments on a board that talks about... hypothetical college football realignments.  Sorry for wanting to live in a world with annual Pitt-WVU, Missouri-Kansas, or Nebraska-Oklahoma games.

There's a thread for that - 

• LOL 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, DuckTownHusker said:

Who are you?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 8/2/2024 at 11:56 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

NOT A DRILL THE BIG TEN UPDATED THEIR MAPS COMMERCIAL! THIS IS NOT A DRILL 

I assumed we had seen the last of this.

Edited by leopard88
TYPO
  • LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 minutes ago, bhutchcraft89 said:

West Virginia has been a fine addition to the Big 12

True. No one would dispute that over the past 14 seasons. However, in this hypothetical, #WhatIf the Mountaineers would hadn't left the Big East just yet before 2012, and would hope to eventually join either the ACC or the SEC? How would the conference realignment landscape would be? Would we have seen a different Big East/AAC team head to the Big XII (like a Louisville or a Houston or a Memphis or a Cincinnati, etc.) instead of WVU?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

1 hour ago, jlog3000 said:

True. No one would dispute that over the past 14 seasons. However, in this hypothetical, #WhatIf the Mountaineers would hadn't left the Big East just yet before 2012, and would hope to eventually join either the ACC or the SEC? How would the conference realignment landscape would be? Would we have seen a different Big East/AAC team head to the Big XII (like a Louisville or a Houston or a Memphis or a Cincinnati, etc.) instead of WVU?

WVU wanted to go to the ACC (no way they were getting in the SEC), but the ACC turned them down due to "academic reasons". That's why they ended up in the Big XII after the departures of Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado.

FSU ain't going Big XII when they get out of the ACC and I highly doubt they'll go independent.

The SEC and B1G would be absolutely stupid to comment anything other than the usual, "we're happy to stay where we are right now."  It's the move to avoid getting sued and it is a negotiation tactic.

The Big XII is courting PE and having it look like they might land one/two of the biggest brands in the name helps boost their image. Honestly a good move by Yormark.

For FSU and Clemson, they'd be absolutely stupid not to have options but they're not throwing this kind of money about to go to Big XII.

• Like 2

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Florida (and Texas for that matter) are recruiting hotbeds.  It only makes sense for the SEC and B10 to have footholds in both locations.  It would not shock me to see the B10 pick up FSU to have that market.  As for Texas, Texas A&M could be that team to pull in.  

The B10 is currently the only top 4 conference to not have a presence in Florida and Texas, with the ACC adding SMU this year.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:44 AM, bhutchcraft89 said:

West Virginia has been a fine addition to the Big 12

I'd say WVU is both a good cultural fit in the Big 12 (+ the geography doesn't really stand out as much now), but also sits in a pretty unique place where they've been separated from their biggest rival without either actually gaining more upward mobility in the process.

You look at most of the rivalries that have been broken by conference realignment, and most have been broken as one team makes a move to a "better" conference — Oklahoma, Oregon and Washington this cycle; Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Utah in past cycles; etc.

The longer this goes on, the more I hope we end up closer to what I feel a natural end game here is, which is some level of ACC/Big 12 merger or coordination. It'll probably take Clemson and Florida State (+ maybe some combo of Miami/North Carolina/Virginia/etc.) leaving the ACC to make sense, but once that happens, you're left with a glut of schools more or less at the same tier and geographically spread in a way that doesn't really make sense — the Big 12 has 5 schools on or west of the Rockies, but the ACC has Stanford and Cal; the Big 12 now has Cincinnati, UCF and WVU all squarely in the ACC's geographic footprint.

6fQjS3M.png

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Who had UConn potentially joining the Big XII in their college reel-a-line-mint bingo card?

There's no benefit to adding UConn in football, but they will anyways.  It's more about "let's make our basketball leagues even better."

• Like 1