My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

First off, the logo is incredible, definitely the best of the series. I love the wordmark and number font as well, and the uniforms look really good. My only complaints on the unis are that the pinstripes get lost on the road uni, and I'd like to see the NO logo somewhere.

Now, I must say I hate the color scheme. You described it as maroon and red, but I see Va Tech purple (sorry Hokie fans, it's purple) and magenta. Honestly, if I just saw one of these jerseys I would think it's one of those women's fashion jerseys. I would redden up and darken the maroon and use a reddish-orange as the other color.

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, you never run out of ideas, do you? This is great. I used to do this with hockey teams when I was like 10, and I know I have them around somewhere. I have to find them, because that would be a pretty sweet undertaking. Like bringing it full-circle.

Keep up the great work man, I love the premise behind this entire project.

Very good! After seeing the small version of this on the front page with smaller logos and team names I was looking forward to seeing it larger. It's very creative. One of the best yet. I like the Hornets-esque wordmarks and pinstriped jerseys which you rarely see in football, but it works for a festive New Orleans identity. I like the idea of using two reddish colors, but like others said, they might need some tweeking. The one thing I would consider working on logo-wise is the NO logo. The "claws" dont really look like claws in that logo since they arent attached to the lobster body. They look more like aggressive swooshes than anything else. If you tweek them a little to be more claw like, it'd complete this near perfect set.

I like the overall idea. The color-scheme works, and it's very unique. I'm really curious as to what makes you associate New Orleans with pin stripes though. I'm not a fan of them in football uniforms, and they don't really work for me here either.

gYH2mW9.png

That logo has to be the best logo I've ever seen. I love the color choices, and the pinstripes are gorgeous. I have no complaints. AMAZING. 10/10

I'll just say it's one of the best I've ever seen on these boards!

Fantastic work on the New Orleans Claws.

Love the unique color combo -- and the logo is Super-Incredible!!!

Ditto

The perfect idea for a New Orleans team, great job man.

Double ditto.

Really, the double reds/purples really really work well and that doesn't scream "fashion" jersey to me at all. I posted a comment recently that pink doesn't seem fierce. But you are bordering on it here and it's fantastic. Guess it's time to eat my words...

Well done! Supergood!

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

It seems like the colors are the main issue here, and I'm not sure what happened. It must've exported the colors funny, they looked much more saturated in .svg. I'll have to go back and tweak them, because even on my iPod the red looks pink.

The Longhorns will be up next week.

EDIT: @GeauxColonels: The Hornets of the NBA inspired the idea for pinstripes. It was an idea I tried out and thought looked good, so I kept it.

EDIT: @GeauxColonels: The Hornets of the NBA inspired the idea for pinstripes. It was an idea I tried out and thought looked good, so I kept it.

I figured that. But they've only had the pin stripes for a few years since being in New Orleans. There's nothing really New Orleans-esque about pinstripes, IMO.

gYH2mW9.png

I'm obviously in the extreme minority, but I don't think this concept is working. The primary logo is certainly an interesting idea conceptually, but I think it suffers from a few noticeable problems. Fist off, the "claws" portions of the logo don't really look like claws. Look at them in the secondary logo especially, when they're by themselves. They just look like curved swooshes. Crayfish and lobster are arthropods, so it seems like there should be some sort of indication of jointed pincers. But there isn't; it's just an abstract curve. The second problem is also in the claws: they (and the "arms" connecting them to the body) appear to be backwards. The claws should come outward from the body and point back at the head, not the body. (Claws pointing at the body would be pretty ineffective and useless.)

I get that you really wanted to make the form of the subject resemble a fleur-de-lis. (I also think that this particular symbol has become an overused icon for New Orleans in sports branding--especially in concepts on the boards--but that's another conversation.) By nature, that dictates that the imagery of the animal must be somewhat abstracted. But if you're determined to use the fleur-de-lis, I really think you should do your best to make it work without compromising the anatomy of the crayfish: i.e. smooth forms/lack of joints, backward-facing claws, etc... especially when the parts that are compromised the most are the claws, the nickname of the team. Basically, you got the fleur-de-lis part of the logo mostly right, but the claws (and thus the animal) themselves were compromised badly to do so.

The other issues are that the secondary logo feels like an afterthought, another team location monogram with an element quickly slapped on; and the colors, which I actually really like but I think need more contrast between light and dark. But going back and trying to rework the primary logo would really help this.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I'm obviously in the extreme minority, but I don't think this concept is working. The primary logo is certainly an interesting idea conceptually, but I think it suffers from a few noticeable problems. Fist off, the "claws" portions of the logo don't really look like claws. Look at them in the secondary logo especially, when they're by themselves. They just look like curved swooshes. Crayfish and lobster are arthropods, so it seems like there should be some sort of indication of jointed pincers. But there isn't; it's just an abstract curve. The second problem is also in the claws: they (and the "arms" connecting them to the body) appear to be backwards. The claws should come outward from the body and point back at the head, not the body. (Claws pointing at the body would be pretty ineffective and useless.)

I get that you really wanted to make the form of the subject resemble a fleur-de-lis. (I also think that this particular symbol has become an overused icon for New Orleans in sports branding--especially in concepts on the boards--but that's another conversation.) By nature, that dictates that the imagery of the animal must be somewhat abstracted. But if you're determined to use the fleur-de-lis, I really think you should do your best to make it work without compromising the anatomy of the crayfish: i.e. smooth forms/lack of joints, backward-facing claws, etc... especially when the parts that are compromised the most are the claws, the nickname of the team. Basically, you got the fleur-de-lis part of the logo mostly right, but the claws (and thus the animal) themselves were compromised badly to do so.

The other issues are that the secondary logo feels like an afterthought, another team location monogram with an element quickly slapped on; and the colors, which I actually really like but I think need more contrast between light and dark. But going back and trying to rework the primary logo would really help this.

I agree with your comments on the claws simply looking like curved swooshes and needing a little work, especially on the secondary NO logo, but on the rest of this logo, I think it is effective. I dont think logos have to always be anatomically correct, especially ugly animals like lobsters which need some fixing up to look good in an illustration. Logos allow for the images to be somewhat abstract or stylized as long as they are still recognizable. This is obviously a lobster/crayfish. The Houstan Texans logo has only one eye, and that eye is a star. It makes sense for a team in the Lone Star state. Maybe that's not a perfect comparison because the Texans logo is very abstract and general, but I think you know what I mean. Sure, real crayfish dont have claws facing backwards, but this illustration isn't getting in any real fights so he doesnt need them to face forward. Plus, the average person does not sit an analyze logos to the extent that most of us here do. They will look at this and say "Oh cool, it's a lobster and fleur-de-lis in one".

dgnmrwrw, your work is some of the best on here with the way you make your logos so realistic and detailed, but some logos dont need that realistic detail to be effective, and in my opinion, this logo is one of them.

Archived