NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

You make it seem like I'm criticizing the goat head. I'm not. It works well. Had the Sabres started in 1996 as an expansion team the look would have been perfect. There's more to a look then simple aesthetics, however. You have to factor in the traditions and history of the team. The goat head, the red, black, and silver, it all flew right in the face of what the Sabres had looked like for 26 years. You can't take over a quarter of a century's worth of aesthetic tradition and just dump it like they did. Also while the goat head logo itself may not be overly cartoony in the 1990s style, don't for a second pretend that the switch to black, red, and silver wasn't motivated by 1990s design trends. At least the Hurricanes were starting from scratch when they went that over-done route, and at least they had some basis for it (the colours of a hurricane warning flag). The Sabres? They ditched their colours of 26 years for a trendy 1990s colour scheme.

I disagree. Just because a team started out with a bad design and didnt have the sense to change it for 26 Cup-Less years doesn't mean it has to be around now. The first thing you bring up when defending the logo is how long its been around for which proves my point. Its not kept for its artistic merit its kept for nostalgic reasons. And yes the Colour scheme of the Goat Logo (Your words) was not terribly original but neither was the Sabres original colour scheme. The St Louis Blues used that scheme, to a much a better result, three years before the Sabres existed. So swapping one unoriginal colour scheme for another doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

As for which logo is better? I'll ask you one question. Where are the sabres in the goat head? I know when I was younger I searched in vain for one, thinking maybe they hid one along the neckline. The fact is that the goat head doesn't feature even one sabre; there's no representation of the team's name. People always complain that Buffalo teams rely to much on the buffalo animal for their teams' identities. With the Sabres you had a buffalo and two sabres. The perfect balance. When they changed to the goat head they lost that balance and became a team from Buffalo that relied almost exclusively on the buffalo animal while forsaking the team name. Now true we had the B/sabre alternate logo, but that felt like a tacked on afterthought after they realized they spent the whole designing process drawing an EXTREME bison head.

On the bright side if the Sabres ever want to solidify ties with their AHL affiliates and rename them the Bisons the goat head is available.

The whole "the logo doesn't have Sabres" arguement has been beaten to death so thoroughly on these boards its become redundant. No the goat head doesn't have Sabres in it, so what? Many Hockey logos do not feature direct representations of the teams name (The Canadiens and Bruins come to mind). I see no problem with the Sabres playing up the civic aspect with their primary logo. Also the B/sabre shoulder patches did not look like a tacked on afterthought. They replicated the art style of the Primary logo perfectly and tied the whole set together.

Well you'll never solve the "which looks better" discussion when it comes to the colour schemes. They're both nice, and it's to subjective. So in that event I have to consider which has been around longer, and which was adopted in the midsts of the madness that was 90s sports design. Sorry black, red, and silver. Blue and gold wins.

As for the logos? The old/new Sabres logo perfectly represents the team's name without using a single letter. It's a great balance between the civic symbolism (the buffalo) and the team nickname symbolism (the sabres). The 90s logo, while a nice representation of a buffalo head, uses a colour scheme that the club had previously no connection to and didn't include any symbolism for the team nickname.

So sorry. It's not a clear cut case of nostalgia over good design. There are very real advantages the blue and gold and the crossed sabres logo have over the black, red, and silver and the goat head.

Again it comes back to "which logo has been around longer?" And while you do make some good points about the Balance between civic and team name symbolism it doesnt change the fact that the logo is two poorly rendered sabres and an even more poorly rendered Buffalo arbitrarily slapped onto a circle with no dimension, movement or respect to proportions. The Red and Black logos simply look more attractive to me. The Buffalo head looked spectacular on the front of those jerseys and the Sabres on the shoulder patches looked far better than the ones on the original logo.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how legit this is considering the website its on, but this is an exact match to the descriptions we've been given and it looks to be pretty real. The team has been extremely tight about the whole thing, so I don't know how far I could trust this, but...

The team has been extremely tight about the whole thing, so I don't know how far I could trust this, but this could be out first LEAK OF THE DUCKS 3RD JERSEY

3rdJerseyLeakFront.jpg3rdJerseyLeakBack.jpg

If this is it, I don't know how to feel about it yet. I mean it matches the description perfectly. Close inspection of it looks legit enough, but then again some people are pretty good at Photoshop.

If this is indeed it, then I like it. I'm not sold on the side panels just yet. They look just a tad busy. I'd have to see how those looked on an actual player or person. So I don't know. The rest of it looks pretty solid to me. I like the new orange cuffs. I like the new neckline and coloring. I LOVE the shoulder patch and the shoulders themselves. The side panels I'm gonna hold off judgment on.

I'll hold some caution on this for right now, but I like it. I'd be getting one anyways, unless it was horrificly bad. But this I can definitely live with...

Actually trying to picture it it on a player in my head, I like it a little bit more. I like it a lot. But I'll hold full judgment until later.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't know how legit this is considering the website its on, but this is an exact match to the descriptions we've been given and it looks to be pretty real. The team has been extremely tight about the whole thing, so I don't know how far I could trust this, but...

The team has been extremely tight about the whole thing, so I don't know how far I could trust this, but this could be out first LEAK OF THE DUCKS 3RD JERSEY

If this is it, I don't know how to feel about it yet. I mean it matches the description perfectly. Close inspection of it looks legit enough, but then again some people are pretty good at Photoshop.

If this is indeed it, then I like it. I'm not sold on the side panels just yet. They look just a tad busy. I'd have to see how those looked on an actual player or person. So I don't know. The rest of it looks pretty solid to me. I like the new orange cuffs. I like the new neckline and coloring. I LOVE the shoulder patch and the shoulders themselves. The side panels I'm gonna hold off judgment on.

I'll hold some caution on this for right now, but I like it. I'd be getting one anyways, unless it was horrificly bad. But this I can definitely live with...

Actually trying to picture it it on a player in my head, I like it a little bit more. I like it a lot. But I'll hold full judgment until later.

I hope this is the real deal cause this jersey looks great! Amazing what a few little tweaks can do to bring a previously bland look to life. Adding more orange was definitly the way to go and the Webbed D makes a fine crest. If this is the jersey, I hope it becomes the primary in time.

If this is it, consider me impressed. I think its even better than their current set.

baltimoreravens.png

I like this jersey as well. The D seemed obvious, but the addition of more orange really makes this work for me. I think demoting the old logo to shoulder patch status is probably as good a fate as the Mighty Duck could hope for.

And as far as the site? FansEdge is a retailer like Lids or Champs or whatever -- there are stores right here in Chicago -- so I think this is a mistaken leak on their part, but they'd probably have the legit goods by now if they need to be ready to sell and ship in month. Of course, they seem to be ready to sell right now and ship in 5-7 days.

Sharks wearing Halloween shirts at practice today...

Can't find any reference to the purpose of this shirt other than using it as practice shirt and auction them for charity.

sharkshalloween.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

LOVE that new Ducks sweater. It is easily their best jersey they have and it works so well.

The bright orange really pops and the D web looks great as a crest, but we all knew it would anyways :)

Way to go Anahiem, this will be their new home in a few seasons.

The Ducks *** NEED *** to wear that third jersey full time as their primary home. I can't stand how they use their wordmark as their primary logo, the "D" just make so much more sense as a primary logo.

The Ducks *** NEED *** to wear that third jersey full time as their primary home. I can't stand how they use their wordmark as their primary logo, the "D" just make so much more sense as a primary logo.

I think they will make the D the new crest.

They already made the change at center ice and placed on large D web there instead of two wordmarks like they had in the past.

Sharks wearing Halloween shirts at practice today...

Can't find any reference to the purpose of this shirt other than using it as practice shirt and auction them for charity.

sharkshalloween.jpg

That's what it is for. They usually do this 3-4 times every season. Usually it's Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Ducks jersey is good, but I still hate the black, especially considering that ducks aren't black at all (I know, they aren't purple or teal either).

Had they gone with the orange, or even the gold as a jersey base, that would have rocked the roost. Maybe down the road, they'll do something like that (hopefully).

I still say they should replace the black with dark, dark green. That'd be a boat rocker.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived