NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i would personally do is use the material used before reebok started making jersey's but use the material from like 2000-03 ccm jersey's (not the material that's similar to the nike swift jersey's ((used post lockout btw)), but keep the form fitting shape. i'm serious, the only reason i still buy RBK jersey's (other than the fact that i buy jersey's of teams that i like of course) is because of the "motercycle jacket" style fit. baggy arms = no no. that way they can use new, and creative designs but still keep the fit of them.

The Edge 2.0 version which was basically the same basic jersey design only with the old air-knit material making up the front panel, arms and shoulders and waist hem where applicable(the back panel remained x-trafil, spongy and stretchy material which was water repellent to draw water off).

what i would personally do is use the material used before reebok started making jersey's but use the material from like 2000-03 ccm jersey's (not the material that's similar to the nike swift jersey's ((used post lockout btw)), but keep the form fitting shape. i'm serious, the only reason i still buy RBK jersey's (other than the fact that i buy jersey's of teams that i like of course) is because of the "motercycle jacket" style fit. baggy arms = no no. that way they can use new, and creative designs but still keep the fit of them.

Actually, Reebok did already switch the material, and in fact, it only took them about 6 months to do so. There were reports as early as January 2008 of teams having the material in their Edge jerseys replaced with the polyester air-knit material that made up all previous CCM/Koho jerseys for the last 10 years or so. Mind you, it doesn't make up all of the jersey. The underarm panels and the back panel of the jerseys are still made up of the "Edge-mesh" material that allows more breathability.

The only problem I have with the authentic Edge jerseys now having the old polyester material in them is that there are quite hard to find! Other than the Halifax Mooseheads team store, which sells authentics of their Edge jerseys and all use the old polyester air-knit, every other retailer that carries authentic Edge jerseys only carries them with the old Edge material. Even when I was in Montreal, the authentic jerseys of the 1910 (blue) and 1911 (red and green) throwbacks were still the old Edge materials, even though they weren't unveiled or released until several months after Edge switched materials. It's possible though that these jerseys may have been in mass production before Reebok switched. Though apparently there are some places that do sell the Edge "2.0" as it's called with the polyester air-knit and the primary way to notice it is the tags attached.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Best-looking game in the NHL happens tonight in Buffalo - the Sabres are wearing their new whites and Montreal's wearing their reds to commemorate the Sabres' 40th anniversary of their first home game.

That sentence alone is an oxymoron

The part about best-looking game, or the part about something happening in Buffalo?

Best looking game.

I really dont understand why the Sabres logo gets so much praise on these boards as the end all be all of hockey logo design. I mean its just a poorly rendered buffalo over some poorly rendered swords in a circle with no sense of depth or dimension. Its just static and lifeless... The piping, front numbers and pit stains arent helping their case either.

The original Sabres logo was perfect in its simplicity. It says "Buffalo Sabres" without the need of a single letter. Brilliant.

Unlike the goat head (your sig) and the buffaslug, the original/current Sabres logo struck the perfect balance between civic and nickname representation. The darker colours, silver, and piping of the current set isn't seen as ideal by some, but after years of the goat head and the buffaslug people are just happy to see the Sabres looking like the Sabres again.

The part about best-looking game, or the part about something happening in Buffalo?

Best looking game.

I really dont understand why the Sabres logo gets so much praise on these boards as the end all be all of hockey logo design. I mean its just a poorly rendered buffalo over some poorly rendered swords in a circle with no sense of depth or dimension. Its just static and lifeless... The piping, front numbers and pit stains arent helping their case either.

Some logos are best left in the past. The Buffalo Sabres logo isn't one of them.

The original Sabres logo was perfect in its simplicity. It says "Buffalo Sabres" without the need of a single letter. Brilliant.

Unlike the goat head (your sig) and the buffaslug, the original/current Sabres logo struck the perfect balance between civic and nickname representation. The darker colours, silver, and piping of the current set isn't seen as ideal by some, but after years of the goat head and the buffaslug people are just happy to see the Sabres looking like the Sabres again.

Sure the throwback, now current Sabres logo is a pictogram, but they need to tremendously update that thing. The logo is dated. It desperately needs an update. As it is right now, it worked back in the day, but it is an awful logo. The goat head was better.

Sure the throwback, now current Sabres logo is a pictogram, but they need to tremendously update that thing. The logo is dated. It desperately needs an update. As it is right now, it worked back in the day, but it is an awful logo. The goat head was better.

I disagree. Nothing about it seems terribly dated.

The goat head would have been great if the team was a 90s expansion team. They weren't though. The goat head look was a drastic and unnecessary break with decades of Sabres tradition.

Contrary to what most people believe, the majority of teams do not have a 3rd jersey with a different base colour from their home or road uniform.

Out of the 21 teams that have currently unveiled their 3rd jerseys for this season, only 10 are a completely different base colour from their home or road uniform. All of the three 3rd jerseys that are to be officially unveiled are rumoured to be the same colour as their home uniform.

Yes the logo spells out Buffalo Sabres without using a single word but Aesthetically speaking the Red, Black and Silver Buffalo head is far superior. Unlike the current it has depth, movement and character. People seem to lump it in with the overly cartoony logos of the 90's when it actually looks quite realistic without being over the top. If the Sabres had started out Red and Black and switched to Blue and Gold later (as weird as that sounds) Red and Black would be back now. So its not an arguement of which looks better, its an arguement of which has been around longer. And a perfect example of putting nostalgia over a good design.

Yes the logo spells out Buffalo Sabres without using a single word but Aesthetically speaking the Red, Black and Silver Buffalo head is far superior. Unlike the current it has depth, movement and character. People seem to lump it in with the overly cartoony logos of the 90's when it actually looks quite realistic without being over the top.

You make it seem like I'm criticizing the goat head. I'm not. It works well. Had the Sabres started in 1996 as an expansion team the look would have been perfect. There's more to a look then simple aesthetics, however. You have to factor in the traditions and history of the team. The goat head, the red, black, and silver, it all flew right in the face of what the Sabres had looked like for 26 years. You can't take over a quarter of a century's worth of aesthetic tradition and just dump it like they did.

Also while the goat head logo itself may not be overly cartoony in the 1990s style, don't for a second pretend that the switch to black, red, and silver wasn't motivated by 1990s design trends. At least the Hurricanes were starting from scratch when they went that over-done route, and at least they had some basis for it (the colours of a hurricane warning flag). The Sabres? They ditched their colours of 26 years for a trendy 1990s colour scheme.

As for which logo is better? I'll ask you one question. Where are the sabres in the goat head? I know when I was younger I searched in vain for one, thinking maybe they hid one along the neckline. The fact is that the goat head doesn't feature even one sabre; there's no representation of the team's name. People always complain that Buffalo teams rely to much on the buffalo animal for their teams' identities. With the Sabres you had a buffalo and two sabres. The perfect balance. When they changed to the goat head they lost that balance and became a team from Buffalo that relied almost exclusively on the buffalo animal while forsaking the team name. Now true we had the B/sabre alternate logo, but that felt like a tacked on afterthought after they realized they spent the whole designing process drawing an EXTREME bison head.

On the bright side if the Sabres ever want to solidify ties with their AHL affiliates and rename them the Bisons the goat head is available.

If the Sabres had started out Red and Black and switched to Blue and Gold later (as weird as that sounds) Red and Black would be back now.

But they didn't. So no real point here....

So its not an arguement of which looks better, its an arguement of which has been around longer. And a perfect example of putting nostalgia over a good design.

Well you'll never solve the "which looks better" discussion when it comes to the colour schemes. They're both nice, and it's to subjective. So in that event I have to consider which has been around longer, and which was adopted in the midsts of the madness that was 90s sports design. Sorry black, red, and silver. Blue and gold wins.

As for the logos? The old/new Sabres logo perfectly represents the team's name without using a single letter. It's a great balance between the civic symbolism (the buffalo) and the team nickname symbolism (the sabres). The 90s logo, while a nice representation of a buffalo head, uses a colour scheme that the club had previously no connection to and didn't include any symbolism for the team nickname.

So sorry. It's not a clear cut case of nostalgia over good design. There are very real advantages the blue and gold and the crossed sabres logo have over the black, red, and silver and the goat head.

I'm still surprised we haven't seen anything from the Ducks or Blue Jackets regarding their alternate sweaters.

Yeah the Jackets are doing a great job of keeping their third jersey a secret. I talked to a guy who worked at their team shop a couple months ago and even he hadn't seen it.

6fQjS3M.png

Shouldn't the fact that we call it "the goat head" automatically make it worse than the actual Sabres logo? There's no depth, movement, or character. It's just the crappy dumb goat head.

I'm pretty sure the Hurricanes wore all that red because Karmanos wishes he owned the Red Wings.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm still surprised we haven't seen anything from the Ducks or Blue Jackets regarding their alternate sweaters.

From what I understand from some people in the Ducks offices, they've had the thing done for almost over a year now. Some had even seen a prototype of it.

So yeah, I am REALLY surprised we haven't seen anything yet. And we're almost at 5 weeks until the unveiling too.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived