XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

Hannah Kearney just ripped the gold medal from Canada's Jennifer Heil in Womens freestyle moguls.

That was very hard to watch ... Jenn Heil nailed her run. Kearney just did even better.

The bar I was at went nuts...and then it emptied out, hence me also being home...

Good stuff though. I love the Winter Olympics...

I always love how much we start to care about something like Womens Moguls, when before the event we could not even name one or two of the athletes competing.

That's sort of my point. It's just such great televison...I'm rivited...and much moreso than the Summer Games...

No ice dancing or figure skating though. I just can't do that...

Obviously outside of hockey I couldn't name the big names that don't have whatever sponsorship deals/are famous for whatever reason...

I happily watch figure skating and I'm a straight male. There's nothing wrong with being able to appreciate what these people do on the ice, it's hard enough doing that stuff without skates or traveling 30 mph.

Plus skimpy costumes on the ladies = fun for dad.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hannah Kearney just ripped the gold medal from Canada's Jennifer Heil in Womens freestyle moguls.

That was very hard to watch ... Jenn Heil nailed her run. Kearney just did even better.

The bar I was at went nuts...and then it emptied out, hence me also being home...

Good stuff though. I love the Winter Olympics...

I always love how much we start to care about something like Womens Moguls, when before the event we could not even name one or two of the athletes competing.

That's sort of my point. It's just such great televison...I'm rivited...and much moreso than the Summer Games...

No ice dancing or figure skating though. I just can't do that...

Obviously outside of hockey I couldn't name the big names that don't have whatever sponsorship deals/are famous for whatever reason...

I happily watch figure skating and I'm a straight male. There's nothing wrong with being able to appreciate what these people do on the ice, it's hard enough doing that stuff without skates or traveling 30 mph.

Plus skimpy costumes on the ladies = fun for dad.

Oh I have absolutely nothing against skating...I remember staying up late during the Nagano games to watch Tara Lipinski go for her gold medal for the U.S. 12 years ago...I watched the whole routine with Jamie Sale and the corrupt Russian Judge unfold at Salt Lake City too...

But It's just not something I'd stick with. Don't get me wrong, what they can do is incredible...there's a reason they're olympians...but I won't watch it for the same reason I won't watch Basketball or volleyball or cycling...even though I love to participate in all three of those things...it just doesn't keep me from watching something else for whatever reason...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Did anyone see the Apolo Ohno silver medal? In the final heat, on the last turn, the Koreans were all set to sweep the podium when one of them got greedy and in trying to pass the leader took out himself and the guy in third. Ohno, who was in 4th at the time moved up and the other American behind him moved into third for the bronze. Pretty crazy stuff that shorttrack.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did anyone see the Apolo Ohno silver medal? In the final heat, on the last turn, the Koreans were all set to sweep the podium when one of them got greedy and in trying to pass the leader took out himself and the guy in third. Ohno, who was in 4th at the time moved up and the other American behind him moved into third for the bronze. Pretty crazy stuff that shorttrack.

Ohno is a master I get shivers every time he skates but that was a crazy finish I don't think One Country has ever swept the podium in a speed skating event.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah and he was leading for a majority of that race too before the Koreans passed him up.

And that crash also set up a bronze finish for first-time Olympian and American JR Celski. That was definitely an amazing finish. All I could say was just "WOW" amazing.

Ohno ties the US record for Winter Olympic medals and becomes the most decorated short track speed skater.

And just saw that women's mogul final here on the west coast, another great finish with Hannah Kearney ripping away Canada's first shot at their first home-turf gold medal with an absolutely flawless run. Pretty amazing stuff.

Pretty good first day at the games. Today got me all excited for the rest of these Olympics. So much so that I even forgot the Dunk Contest was tonight (from what I've heard I made the right choice :D )

Medal Count

USA - 4 (1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze)

Korea - 2 (1 gold, 1 silver)

Slovakia, Switzerland, Netherlands - 1 gold

Poland, Canada, Germany - 1 silver

Russia, France, Austria - 1 bronze

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oh I have absolutely nothing against skating...I remember staying up late during the Nagano games to watch Tara Lipinski go for her gold medal for the U.S. 12 years ago...I watched the whole routine with Jamie Sale and the corrupt Russian Judge unfold at Salt Lake City too...

But It's just not something I'd stick with. Don't get me wrong, what they can do is incredible...there's a reason they're olympians...but I won't watch it for the same reason I won't watch Basketball or volleyball or cycling...even though I love to participate in all three of those things...it just doesn't keep me from watching something else for whatever reason...

Luckily, CNBC is showing men's hockey in prime time almost every weeknight during the Games. So, when NBC switches to figure skating, that'll be my cue to switch to CNBC. ;)

CCSLC signature.png

Luckily, CNBC is showing men's hockey in prime time almost every weeknight during the Games. So, when NBC switches to figure skating, that'll be my cue to switch to CNBC. ;)

Oh I absolutely CANNOT wait for next Sunday night at 7:40 Eastern...USA/Canada...

And that's the thing...there really should be a much bigger hockey rivalry than there actually is between the two of us. The problem is nobody here gives a crap about hockey at all...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Oh I absolutely CANNOT wait for next Sunday night at 7:40 Eastern...USA/Canada...

And that's the thing...there really should be a much bigger hockey rivalry than there actually is between the two of us. The problem is nobody here gives a crap about hockey at all...

Plus we have the Russians to worry about.

1zqy8ok.gif

Ohno is a master I get shivers every time he skates but that was a crazy finish I don't think One Country has ever swept the podium in a speed skating event.

The guy is incredible. In the quarterfinal heat he was in fifth with three laps to go and with one move got to first and won the race by a huge margin.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The guy is incredible. In the quarterfinal heat he was in fifth with three laps to go and with one move got to first and won the race by a huge margin.

Oh, of course. Ohno is so amazing, he was able to avoid disqualification for an obvious push-off in an earlier heat, and needed a greedy Korean skater to get in the medals. That's greatness right there, folks!

6uXNWAo.png

I can see how the close loss in moguls might sting to some -- But do Canadians really want to see their first gold medal on home turf to go to a Quebecer? :rolleyes:

I'm sure Ice_Cap would ^_^

:therock:

Canada's Canada. I'm all for a Frenchie breaking our home field curse.

Canada 1 silver

OWN THE PODIUM

All I could think about during those "WE WERE MADE FOR THIS" commercials was "how disappointing would this be for us if we choke?"

I am excited for this game, but I start to salivate when I think about the Canada/Russia game that we might see.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I'm willing to start negotiations on behalf of Canada on this. You forgive us for Nickleback and Brian Adams and we'll forgive you for Kiss, disco music and calling Benedict Arnold a traitor. We will not include Celine Dion in any of this, that one is your fault. You invited her and we're glad to get rid of her.

Disco music is good, though.

Why would they skip over Ontario, because the luger died? Did Neil Peart say something bad about luging?

I don't think Ayn Rand ever got around to her thoughts on the luge.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived