Lakers Re-Brand

bohob

bucks_thumb.jpgsuns_thumb.jpgjazz_thumb.jpgpacers_thumb.jpgblazers_thumb.jpg

Well, after seeing the giraffe logo the Lakers used in the early LA years, inspiration struck. So, here is a logo set for the Lakers. The primary is similar to the current, and the tertiary is an LA monogram (not sure if monogram applies, duogram, maybe?). C&C please.

lakers_logos.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the classic giraffe coming back. Nice to see the LA logo too (wink wink).

My only gripe is with the font. It just doesn't seem to work. It is to sharp and boxy. When i think Lakers, i think more of smooth and free flowing... like the Magic Johnson era.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

is the Giraffe really a part of the Lakers history? I never heard of that. But I remember someone posted a Lakers trading card with a Giraffe and I thought the giraffe was just the card brand logo...but i guess i was wrong.

Good job with it, regardless. I LOVE that primary...it's like mine, but you gave it tons of spunk...which was gutsy. That LA alternate is pretty good too. I dunno if most people will like this, but I'm all for it.

This series has never failed to be interesting, that's for sure. I agree with the comment about the 'Lakers' font. And did you try using the left side of your giraffe as the left border of the basketball? They have nearly the same curve angle (which I'm sure is intentional). I think the giraffe-as-left-logo-border is worth exploring.

I've got one minor quibble with the giraffe logo - the middle line in the basketball lines up with a line on the face, making it look like a single, potentially uncomfortable, line. If either part was shifted or re-sized so they were clearly separate elements I think I would really like it.

I do think the Lakers could update their logo (very minorly), I dont think they should get rid of the streaks behind the L. I always imagines the streaks being docs on a lake or the ocean in LA's case even though I am pretty sure that is not what they are intended to be. I think would like to see the font exactly the same as what they have, just more clean and modern. What you have itsnt wrong or bad by any means, but I wish the words werent completely inside a purple block either. I like the Lakers current alternative L/ball logo and if they used that same technique on the primary, it would be perfect IMO.

That giraffe logo is perfect, (although i don't think that a giraffe relates at all to a Laker) but that script is sooo jagged and choppy, it's almost disappointing. The bottom of the R, for example, really bugs me. You have that free-flowing stroke extension to the R, and have it going under the S. 1-it does not flow well with the bottom of the S, I believe it'd look so much more proffessional if it did. 2- the line thickness is off. On all the rest of the lettering, the lines are thicker on vertical lines and thinner on horizontal lines. It's almost opposite for the R, so either change the R to look like the rest of the script, or change the rest of the script to look like the R.

Looks great... but what are you going to do for my Clippers? Offset the word "Clippers" to the left a little bit in the same basketball and replace the giraffe with another jungle animal, to keep up the Clips' tradition of ripping off the Lakers?

Seeing as how the Clips have never used a jungle animal, you're safe.

is the Giraffe really a part of the Lakers history? I never heard of that. But I remember someone posted a Lakers trading card with a Giraffe and I thought the giraffe was just the card brand logo...but i guess i was wrong.

Well, here's your proof:

Los_Angeles_Lakers_1962.jpg

I'm loving this, by the way. Can't wait to see the uniforms.

VmWIn6B.png

Looks pretty good. I'm all for any logo update that uses the actual Lakers wordmark (or something similar) on the jerseys. Never got why the real logo doesn't use the same wordmark style.

Archived