Your favorite scoreboard

BigMac12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this day and age, while it would be a nice fixture, you don't need to have out of town scoreboards at any stadia or arenas.

Sure you do. It's retro and cool and not as many people have smartphones as you think.

PNC Park does closed captioning too. I always love when they put up the Latin lyrics to O Fortuna.

1zgyd8w.jpg

In this day and age, while it would be a nice fixture, you don't need to have out of town scoreboards at any stadia or arenas.

Sure you do. It's retro and cool and not as many people have smartphones as you think.

PNC Park does closed captioning too. I always love when they put up the Latin lyrics to O Fortuna.

Oh man that's great. Absolutely great.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know how high that number would actually be, heh.

While I don't care if a ballpark shows the out of town scores, I don't care if it does either. And just because something is retro doesn't mean it's a good idea. If it's cool I say go for it, but to have out of town scores just for the sake of being retro could lend an unappealing look for a ballpark in an area or two.

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know how high that number would actually be, heh.

While I don't care if a ballpark shows the out of town scores, I don't care if it does either. And just because something is retro doesn't mean it's a good idea. If it's cool I say go for it, but to have out of town scores just for the sake of being retro could lend an unappealing look for a ballpark in an area or two.

I like to have out-of-town scores so I know what's happening out-of-town, not for any retro reasons. When I'm in enemy territory (Yankee Stadium), I want to know how the Mets are doing. And when I'm at a Mets game, I want to know how the Phillies/Braves/whatever team they are in a race with if they're in a race are doing. I'll never forget keeping one eye on the field and one eye on the Brewers score on the last day of the 2008 season, since the Mets and Brewers were tied for the wild card. Right after the Mets fell behind, the Brewers took the lead. While I wasn't happy with the results, it was a lot of fun scoreboard watching.

Anyhoo, my favorite MLB scoreboard is Wrigley (ironic, since it doesn't fit every OOT game either...but it get a pass for being a classic).

So in reality this thread should have been called "Why my team's scoreboard is my favorite."

Isn't that what the idiots turn all of these threads in to? It's one realignment, and a Saintsfan rule change proposal away from being a prototypical ccslc thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It was even better when the "host" of the Legends and Celebrities Softball game a few years ago realized he was being closed captioned, and started saying random things to see if they'd put it up there.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

First of all, this discussion begins and ends with this:

89599279_25a74a74b3_o.jpg

Second of all, if you're going with the Shea Scoreboard, you HAVE to go with the classic edition over the post-1981 renovations:

1969LeadEast.jpg

It was the first of it's kind...and each individual character had to be "scrolled" through to change it or erase it (that's why you see the Expos lineup in the process of being turned off after the game). They DID have "preloaded" messages that they could even instantly display (such as the message in the above photo taken immediately after the Mets entered first place for the first time ever). Where the Met logo is at the top was originally the first ever video board in sports...it displayed the photo of the player and could show movies during rain delays. That aspect didn't even last the entire 1964 inaugural season.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

First of all, this discussion begins and ends with this:

89599279_25a74a74b3_o.jpg

Second of all, if you're going with the Shea Scoreboard, you HAVE to go with the classic edition over the post-1981 renovations:

1969LeadEast.jpg

It was the first of it's kind...and each individual character had to be "scrolled" through to change it or erase it (that's why you see the Expos lineup in the process of being turned off after the game). They DID have "preloaded" messages that they could even instantly display (such as the message in the above photo taken immediately after the Mets entered first place for the first time ever). Where the Met logo is at the top was originally the first ever video board in sports...it displayed the photo of the player and could show movies during rain delays. That aspect didn't even last the entire 1964 inaugural season.

I can agree with that sentiment.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived