College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

OK, just because someone made something famous or did something famous, should that be part of a uniform (Alabama houndstooth)? In the end, isn't it about the team? the tradition? the school colors? Should Ohio State get a sweater-vest design?

I agree the Houndstooth is because a hat that the greatest ever coach wore, but not part of the uni's. The only real thing they can do to the uni's is to add tv#'s and maybe a sleeve strip or something and add a white helmet.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, just because someone made something famous or did something famous, should that be part of a uniform (Alabama houndstooth)? In the end, isn't it about the team? the tradition? the school colors? Should Ohio State get a sweater-vest design?

I agree the Houndstooth is because a hat that the greatest ever coach wore, but not part of the uni's. The only real thing they can do to the uni's is to add tv#'s and maybe a sleeve strip or something and add a white helmet.

this is all because alabama has very few unique visual elements that are part of their identity...their uniforms have barely changed in 50 years and have no unique element other than the numbers on the side of the helmet which is a holdover from a bygone era when numbers on helmets was common...there aren't any logos prominent on their uniform...just the small A on the collar...hell I remember when they created the elephant logo in the 90's just to have some sort of logo'd/mascot merchandise to sell...this situation is almost similar to the browns and how they are stuck with a classic tradition but not having a real iconic identity.

Plus other then Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden, no coach has meant as much to their school as Bear Bryant did to Alabama. And the one time they were those jerseys it was a day dedicated to him. But a lot of fans really like them and wish the team would wear them full time. Of course they won't :P though.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Plus other then Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden, no coach has meant as much to their school as Bear Bryant did to Alabama. And the one time they were those jerseys it was a day dedicated to him. But a lot of fans really like them and wish the team would wear them full time. Of course they won't :P though.

Eddie Robinson

Bo Schembechler

Woodie Hayes

Frosty Westering

The Houndstooth is a terrible design element and ultimately, despite it's Scottish origin, is a woman's design.

Eddie Robinson

Bo Schembechler

Woodie Hayes

Frosty Westering

The Houndstooth is a terrible design element and ultimately, despite it's Scottish origin, is a woman's design.

I was making the point that Bear Bryant means more to Alabama then Jim Tressel does to Ohio State, and he is arguably the greatest college coach of all time. And its not a terrible design element, have you been reading everyone's thoughts on it? Most people think it looks good. You just have to try and come up with some reason to make Alabama look bad because your a Auburn fan and thats what yall do, if yall lose its because we are supposedly cheating on recruits (which is Bull :censored: considering Auburn had a recruiting class ranked in front of Bama this year).

Eddie Robinson

Bo Schembechler

Woodie Hayes

Frosty Westering

I was making the point that Bear Bryant means more to Alabama then Jim Tressel does to Ohio State, and he is arguably the greatest college coach of all time. And its not a terrible design element, have you been reading everyone's thoughts on it? Most people think it looks good. You just have to try and come up with some reason to make Alabama look bad because your a Auburn fan and thats what yall do, if yall lose its because we are supposedly cheating on recruits (which is Bull :censored: considering Auburn had a recruiting class ranked in front of Bama this year).

I didn't say it was a terrible "design element". I just think Houndstooth is terrible for Alabama fans because the fans have taken it, and in typical Alabama fashion, gone completely overboard. Case in point?:

Man I am out of loop... I guess just have not seen them yet...

CU should be releasing their new Throwback officially sometime soon, right. It would make sense.

What do you mean, exactly? They've had the news conference announcing the throwbacks, and replica jerseys are for sale at Eastbay and FootballFanatics.

Just got this in an email today from the university:

Seniors Show Off Throwback Jerseys At Photo Day

IFANJHQVAGFKLDZ.20100822014834.jpg

It looks like the Buffs will probably wear the new helmets with the current athletic logo. In a video from the photo day, I snagged this screenshot which shows the players wearing gold pants with the current athletic interlocking CU on it - something tells me this is indicative of the helmet design as well:

cubuffsthrowbacks_logo1.jpg

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

I didn't say it was a terrible "design element".

Interesting.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Interesting.

+1, seriously re-read what you just posted footballfiji.

Also Lights Out, Boise State winning the NC this year...not gonna happen.

Interesting.

Bravo you message board burned me. Even added a cheap +1 reference.

Back to uniform news: Auburn had blue pants shipped to the athletic complex (according to a buddy of mine in the ticket office). No word on when/if they will see the light of day.

Also, Lamar (TX) will sport new UnderArmour Duds this year.

and in HBCU News, Bethune Cookman will be sporting a new helmet logo, moving away from the Wildcat-comet they've used in years past:

5621523.jpeg

Eddie Robinson

Bo Schembechler

Woodie Hayes

Frosty Westering

'bigmike' is right, the following never did as much for college football and their schools:

Knute Rockne

Bob Zeppke

Frank Broyles

Bud Wilkenson

John McKay

Don James

Fielding H. Yost

Fritz Crisler

Darrell K Royal

Dutch Meyer

Interesting.

Back to uniform news: Auburn had blue pants shipped to the athletic complex (according to a buddy of mine in the ticket office). No word on when/if they will see the light of day.

and in HBCU News, Bethune Cookman will be sporting a new helmet logo, moving away from the Wildcat-comet they've used in years past:

5621523.jpeg

Bethune Cookman College has been known as "BBC", makes the helmet look crappy. The helmet logo makes it appear as "BC", "BBC", or even looking like a "BBBC". None of which are BBC.

Darrell Royal was undefeated (3-0-1) against Bear Bryant. But back to the uniform discussion ...

Those CU throwback uniforms should be adopted on a permanent basis, however, the washed-out gold should be scrapped for the original and richer old gold.

LehQRaC.png

Interesting.

5621523.jpeg

Bethune Cookman College has been known as "BBC", makes the helmet look crappy. The helmet logo makes it appear as "BC", "BBC", or even looking like a "BBBC". None of which are BBC.

Why would Bethune Cookman College be known as "BBC" and not "BCC"? How do they get two B's out of a school that has one B and two C's? Also, it's nice to see they took Southern California's baseball SC logo and just made it their own.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived