2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

France's tournament has probably just ended.

Easy, there! As much as we're all hoping for France's demise, they've got South Africa next. Can you say "Cupcake City"?

France has quit. South Africa will be playing a home game, for pride, against a team that has looked worse than they have so far & could probably care less about their pride at this point. South Africa is going to win that game.

But yeah, looking like Mexico and Uruguay will be battling to win the group now. Should be a good game, I don't think either of those teams want to deal with Argentina coming out of Group B. :P

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i was gonna say - both uruguay and mexico will be going for it next week, because winning the group makes the difference between argentina or greece/nigeria/south korea.

but man i am so mad at france - purely because they fail to show any heart despite being in such a great tournament - makes me wonder what domenech (sp?) has actually done to give this team so much hate towards him.

Well, Group B just got very interesting with that Greece win. Barring a complete and utter collapse against Greece, Argentina should be through to the next round. But now, South Korea has to win their game against Nigeria (who are playing for pride at this point) and Greece somehow has get a good result against Argentina.

My money's on South Korea to get the 2nd spot.

Now wait, Nigeria can still get in!

ARG 6 +4 (5)

KOR 3 -1 (3)

GRE 3 -1 (2)

NGA 0 -2 (1)

All it takes is a Nigeria win and a Greece loss and Nigeria is through.

Not quite. In order for Nigeria to advance, they would have to defeat South Korea by at least a two goal margin and hope that Argentina would defeat Greece.

Nigeria is at a -2 goal difference, South Korea at a -1. If Nigeria beats South Korea, they will have a better goal difference than them. In addition, they'd have a better goal difference than Greece. So all they need is a win and a Greece loss, and they're through.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, Group B just got very interesting with that Greece win. Barring a complete and utter collapse against Greece, Argentina should be through to the next round. But now, South Korea has to win their game against Nigeria (who are playing for pride at this point) and Greece somehow has get a good result against Argentina.

My money's on South Korea to get the 2nd spot.

Now wait, Nigeria can still get in!

ARG 6 +4 (5)

KOR 3 -1 (3)

GRE 3 -1 (2)

NGA 0 -2 (1)

All it takes is a Nigeria win and a Greece loss and Nigeria is through.

Not quite. In order for Nigeria to advance, they would have to defeat South Korea by at least a two goal margin and hope that Argentina would defeat Greece.

Nigeria is at a -2 goal difference, South Korea at a -1. If Nigeria beats South Korea, they will have a better goal difference than them. In addition, they'd have a better goal difference than Greece. So all they need is a win and a Greece loss, and they're through.

I figured I would have to explain the scenario further. Let's say Nigeria beat South Korea 2-0 and Argentina beat Greece 1-0, then the following would occur:

ARG 9 +5 (6)

NGA 3 +0 (3)

GRE 3 -2 (2)

KOR 3 -3 (3)

Nigeria would advance based on goal difference.

I figured I would have to explain the scenario further. Let's say Nigeria beat South Korea 2-0 and Argentina beat Greece 1-0, then the following would occur:

ARG 9 +5 (6)

NGA 3 +0 (3)

GRE 3 -2 (2)

KOR 3 -3 (3)

Nigeria would advance based on goal difference.

But what if both games were 1-0? Then you'd have...

ARG 9 +5 (6)

NGA 3 -1 (2)

KOR 3 -2 (3)

GRE 3 -2 (2)

Nigeria still advances on goal difference.

LvZYtbZ.png

Can I nominate Uruguay-Mexico as the worst game of the tournament before it happens? Both teams advance with a draw, which means there will likely be a "gentlemen's agreement" to not do anything.

Mexico will try for the win because if they draw uruuay is first and they'll play argentina

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Oh those crazy North Koreans.

Right now, Serbia is leading Germany 1-0 with the Germans down a man and boy... The one sent off (Klose) is going to hurt the Germans big time.

Serbia defeats Germany 1-0...shock loss for the Germans, but IMO, if they were gonna lose to anybody in the group, it was gonna be Serbia. Serbia won their group to qualify, and if you win your group to qualify from Europe, then you've proven yourself to be a VERY good team. But still, Germany hasn't lost in the group stages in forever, so this is still a bit of a surprise. lol @ the announcers trying to make excuses for them on the low-low "Well, the bundesliga starts at another time..." Ah whatever. They took the L against a good team. Accept it. :P

Also, I guess this means that Australia is godawful this year.

Tough game for the Serbs, they barely pulled it out but still a win. With a 11-10 man advantage they kept playing defense instead of being more aggressive offensively. Vidic's hand ball was truly stupid and a very lucky save for the serbs. Impressive win non the less.

I find this sport very frustrating. I wake up at 9:30 and the game doesn't start until 10. Pregame tells me that the US should beat Slovenia 2-0 and now we're down 1-0. The vuvzelas are incredibly annoying, though they aren't so bad for this particular match.

If we lose this match then it's most likely over for us Yanks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If we lose this match then it's most likely over for us Yanks.

I was really hoping that the US would get their act together and come out and show the world that this isnt a B-list soccer country anymore and that we could hang with and take game to whomever we went up against. Sadly, I havent seen it. History says the US can do no better then finish with a tie, which will make advancement out of one of the easiest draws the US could have hoped for that much harder. If they do advance out of group play, this has shaped up as a one and done knockout team.

After the Confederations Cup I was really looking forward to this tournament, and then we get this.

Archived